Old Calendar Choir Cues: Feast of the Transfiguration, 6/19 August 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2013
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates Great Feast
      service for the Holy Transfiguration of our Lord, God, and Savior
      Jesus Christ (Festal Menaion).

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, translations are from other sources, and are
      not my own. Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the
      sign §, followed by the appropriate number.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford for the materials on his website
      (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort
      without his help.

      6 / 19 August 2012
      Holy Transfiguration of Our Lord, God and Saviour Jesus Christ

      Epistle: 2 Peter 1:10-19 (§65)
      Gospel: Matthew 17:1-9 (§70)

      Holy Transfiguration of Our Lord, God, and Savior Jesus Christ.
      Venerable Job of Ushchel'e Monastery, Solovetsk. St. Theoctistus,
      Bishop of Chernigov; Martyr Abbacum (Avvakum) of Thessalonica.

      Reader and Choir Cues

      HOURS

      Festal Troparion and Kontakion

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      In place of the usual antiphons, use the festal antiphons:

      The First Antiphon, Tone 2

      Stichos 1: Shout with jubilation unto the Lord all the earth; * chant
      ye unto His name, give glory in praise of Him.
      Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.
      Stichos 2: The voice of Thy thunder is in their rolling. * And Thy
      lightnings have lightened the world; the earth was shaken and it
      trembled.
      Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.
      Stichos 3: Confession and majesty hast Thou put on, * Who coverest
      Thyself with light as with a garment.
      Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.
      Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now
      and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
      Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

      The Second Antiphon, Tone 2

      Stichos 1: The mountains of Zion on the side of the north, * the city
      of the Great King.
      Refrain: O Son of God Who wast transfigured upon the mountain, save us
      who sing to Thee: Alleluia.
      Stichos 2: And He brought them unto the mountain of His sanctuary, *
      this mountain which His right hand had gained as a possession.
      Refrain. O Son of God Who wast transfigured upon the mountain, save us
      who sing to Thee: Alleluia.
      Stichos 3: Mount Zion which He loved, * and He built His sanctuary
      like that of a unicorn.
      Refrain: O Son of God Who wast transfigured upon the mountain, save us
      who sing to Thee: Alleluia.
      Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now
      and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

      O only-begotten Son and Word of God, Who art immortal, yet didst deign
      for our salvation to be incarnate of the Holy Theotokos and
      Ever-Virgin Mary, and without change didst become man, and was
      crucified, O Christ God, trampling down death by death. Thou Who art
      one of the Holy Trinity, glorified with the Father and the Holy
      Spirit, save us.

      The Third Antiphon

      Reader: Stichos 1: They that trust in the Lord shall be as Mount Zion;
      nevermore shall they be shaken.
      Choir: Festal Troparion, Tone 7: Thou wast transfigured on the
      mountain, O Christ our God, / showing to Thy disciples Thy glory as
      each one could endure; / shine forth Thou on us, who are sinners all,
      Thy light ever-unending / through the prayers of the Theotokos. O
      Light-giver, glory be to Thee.

      Stichos 2: Mountains are round about her, and the Lord is round about
      His people from henceforth and for evermore.
      Choir: Repeat Troparion

      Stichos 3: O Lord, who shall abide in Thy tabernacle? and who shall
      dwell in Thy holy mountain?
      Choir: Repeat Troparion

      Stichos 4: Who shall ascend into the mountain of the Lord? Or who
      shall stand in His holy place?
      Choir: Repeat Troparion

      LITTLE ENTRANCE

      Verse: O Lord, send out Thy Light and Thy truth; they have guided me
      along the way, and have brought me unto Thy holy mountain.

      And immediately after that, the choir sings the Troparion and
      Kontakion of the feast:

      Festal Troparion, Tone 7: Thou wast transfigured on the mountain, O
      Christ our God, / showing to Thy disciples Thy glory as each one could
      endure; / shine forth Thou on us, who are sinners all, Thy light
      ever-unending // through the prayers of the Theotokos. O Light-giver,
      glory be to Thee.

      Glory... Both now...

      Festal Kontakion, Tone 7: On the mount Thou wast transfigured, / and
      Thy disciples, as much as they could bear, beheld Thy glory, O Christ
      God; / so that when they should see Thee crucified, / they would know
      thy passion to be willing, / and would preach to the world // that
      Thou, in truth, art the Effulgence of the Father.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 4th Tone: How magnified are Thy works,
      O Lord! In wisdom hast Thou made them all.
      Choir: How magnified are Thy works, O Lord! In wisdom hast Thou made them all.
      Reader: Bless the Lord, O my soul; O Lord my God, Thou hast been
      magnified exceedingly.
      Choir: How magnified are Thy works, O Lord! In wisdom hast Thou made them all.
      Reader: How magnified are Thy works, O Lord!
      Choir: In wisdom hast Thou made them all.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Second Catholic Epistle of the Holy
      Apostle Peter.

      [2 Peter 1:10-19, §65]: Brethren: Give diligence to make your calling
      and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never
      fall: * For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly
      into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. *
      Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of
      these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present
      truth. * Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to
      stir you up by putting you in remembrance; * Knowing that shortly I
      must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath
      shewed me. * Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my
      decease to have these things always in remembrance. * For we have not
      followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the
      power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of
      his majesty. * For he received from God the Father honour and glory,
      when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is
      my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. * And this voice which came
      from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount. * We
      have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye
      take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day
      dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 8th Tone.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Thine are the heavens, and Thine is the Earth.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Blessed is the people that knoweth jubilation.

      [Matthew 17:1-9, §70]: At that time, Jesus took Peter, James, and John
      his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, * And
      was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and
      his raiment was white as the light. * And, behold, there appeared unto
      them Moses and Elias talking with him. * Then answered Peter, and said
      unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us
      make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one
      for Elias. * While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed
      them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my
      beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him. * And when the
      disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore
      afraid. * And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not
      afraid. * And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man,
      save Jesus only. * And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus
      charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man
      be risen again from the dead.

      ZADOSTOINIK

      Instead of It is truly meet, we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of the
      First Canon of the feast, Fourth Tone (Melody: Having crossed the Red
      Sea dry-shod...):

      Refrain: Magnify, O my soul, the Lord transfigured on Tabor.

      Irmos: Thy birthgiving was undefiled: / God came forth from thy womb,
      / and He appeared upon earth / wearing flesh and made His dwelling
      among men; // therefore we all magnify thee, O Theotokos.

      COMMUNION

      Verse: O Lord, in the light of Thy face shall we walk, and in Thy name
      shall we rejoice forever. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!