Old Calendar Choir Cues: 8 Pentecost, 5/18 August 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2013
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a
      Six-Stichera-rank service for the Forefeast of the Transfiguration
      (§1F1 in the Order of Divine Services). The order for Troparia and
      Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint. If your temple is
      dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate
      adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are
      indicated by the sign §, followed by the appropriate number. Please
      also note that the Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed
      for singing according to the Divine Liturgy book put together by Dr.
      Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website: http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/ . I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      5/18 August 2013
      EIGHTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST -- Tone 7

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday: 1 Corinthians 1:10-18 (§124)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday: Matthew 14:14-22 (§58)

      Eighth Sunday after Pentecost. Forefeast of the Transfiguration.
      Martyr Eusignius of Antioch. Hieromartyrs Antherus and Fabian,
      Bishops of Rome. Martyr Pontius of Rome. Righteous Nonna, mother of
      St. Gregory the Theologian. Martyrs Cantidius, Cantidian, and
      Sibelius in Egypt. St. Euthymius, Patriarch of Constantinople. New
      Hieromartyr Simon, Bishop of Ufa (1921). Venerable John of Neamts,
      the Chozebite.

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Troparion of the Forefeast
      Kontakion of the Resurrection

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Troparion of the Forefeast
      Troparion of the Forefeast

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      10: 6 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 3 of the Canon of the Forefeast

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      The fruit which slew me was beautiful and good to eat; but Christ is
      the Tree of life, and eating of Him I do not die, but cry out with the
      thief: Remember me, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      O Compassionate One, Who wast lifted up upon the Cross, Thou hast
      erased the record of Adam's ancient sin, and hast saved the whole
      human race from deception. Wherefore, we hymn Thee, O Lord and
      Benefactor.

      Thou didst nail our sins to the Cross, O compassionate Christ, and by
      Thy death Thou didst slay death, O Thou who didst raise up the dead
      from among the dead. Wherefore, we worship Thy holy resurrection.

      The serpent once poured its venom into the ears of Eve; but on the
      tree of the Cross, Christ poured forth the sweetness of life upon the
      world. Wherefore, we cry out: Remember us, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Thou wast laid in the tomb as one dead, O Christ, Thou Life of all;
      and Thou didst break down the gates of hades; and having risen again
      in glory on the third day as One mighty, Thou hast illumined all.
      Glory to Thine arising!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Having risen from the dead on the third day, the Lord bestowed His
      peace upon His disciples; and having blessed them, He sent them forth
      saying: Lead all into My kingdom!

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      He Who hath dominion over all creation hath become visible, assuming
      the form of a servant; and thereby He hath shown to His disciples the
      unapproachable effulgence of His divinity, as far as they were able to
      perceive it.

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      (Repeat foregoing Troparion) He Who hath dominion over all creation
      hath become visible, assuming the form of a servant; and thereby He
      hath shown to His disciples the unapproachable effulgence of His
      divinity, as far as they were able to perceive it.

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Christ the Sun cometh to the mountain to shine forth glory, and to dim
      with His light the shining morning-star; and illumined by His rays,
      let us celebrate the forefeast today.

      Fulfilling the words of eternal life, Christ stood forth as one who
      showeth things to others that they might understand; and He was well
      pleased to show forth in Himself the radiant glory of the Father.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion,Tone 7: Thou didst destroy death by Thy
      Cross, / Thou didst open paradise to the thief, / Thou didst change
      the lamentation of the myrrh-bearers, / and Thou didst command Thine
      Apostles / to proclaim that Thou didst arise, O Christ God, // and
      grantest to the world great mercy.

      Troparion of the Forefeast, Tone 4: Let us go forth to meet the
      transfiguration of Christ, / splendidly celebrating the forefeast
      thereof, O ye faithful; and let us cry aloud: / The day of divine
      gladness hath arrived! / The Master ascendeth Mount Tabor // to shine
      forth the beauty of His divinity!

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 7: No longer will the dominion of death
      / be able to keep men captive, / for Christ hath descended,
      demolishing and destroying the powers thereof. / Hades is bound; the
      prophets rejoice with one voice, saying: / A Savior hath come for them
      that have faith! // Come forth, ye faithful, for the Resurrection!

      Glory…

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Both now...

      Kontakion of the Forefeast, Tone 4: Human nature is made divinely
      luminous today / by the transfiguration of God, // and crieth out in
      gladness: Christ is transfigured, saving us all!

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 7th Tone: The Lord will give strength
      unto His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace.
      Choir: The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will
      bless His people with peace.
      Reader: Bring unto the Lord, ye sons of God, bring unto the Lord the
      sons of rams.
      Choir: The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will
      bless His people with peace.
      Reader: The Lord will give strength unto His people.
      Choir: the Lord will bless His people with peace.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to
      the Corinthians.

      [1 Corinthians 1:10-18, §124]: Brethren: I beseech you, by the name of
      our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that
      there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined
      together in the same mind and in the same judgment. * For it hath been
      declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house
      of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.* Now this I say, that
      every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of
      Cephas; and I of Christ. * Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for
      you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? * I thank God that I
      baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; * Lest any should say
      that I had baptized in mine own name. * And I baptized also the
      household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any
      other. * For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel:
      not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of
      none effect. * For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish
      foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 7th Tone.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: It is good to give praise unto the Lord, and to chant unto Thy
      name, O Most High.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: To proclaim in the morning Thy mercy, and Thy truth by night.

      [Matthew 14:14-22, §58]: At that time, Jesus went forth, and saw a
      great multitude, and was moved with compassion toward them, and he
      healed their sick. * And when it was evening, his disciples came to
      him, saying, This is a desert place, and the time is now past; send
      the multitude away, that they may go into the villages, and buy
      themselves victuals. * But Jesus said unto them, They need not depart;
      give ye them to eat. * And they say unto him, We have here but five
      loaves, and two fishes. * He said, Bring them hither to me. * And he
      commanded the multitude to sit down on the grass, and took the five
      loaves, and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, he blessed, and
      brake, and gave the loaves to his disciples, and the disciples to the
      multitude. * And they did all eat, and were filled: and they took up
      of the fragments that remained twelve baskets full. * And they that
      had eaten were about five thousand men, beside women and children. *
      And straightway Jesus constrained his disciples to get into a ship,
      and to go before him unto the other side, while he sent the multitudes
      away.

      DOSTOINIK

      It is truly meet...

      COMMUNION

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest!
      Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!