Old Calendar Choir Cues: 4 Pentecost, 8/21 July 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2013
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Polyeleos-rank
      service for the Appearance of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God [§1D
      in the Order of Divine Services]. The order for Troparia and Kontakia
      is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint. If your temple is dedicated to
      the Lord or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are
      indicated by the sign §, followed by the appropriate number. Please
      note that the Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for
      singing according to the Divine Liturgy book put together by Dr.
      Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford for the materials on his website
      (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort
      without his help.

      8/21 July 2013

      For the Sunday: Romans 6:18-23 (§93)
      For the Mother of God: Philippians 2:5-11 (§240)

      For the Sunday: Matthew 8:5-13 (§25)
      For the Mother of God: Luke 10:38-42, 11:27-28 (§54)

      Fourth Sunday after Pentecost. Appearance of the Kazan Icon of the
      Mother of God (Polyeleos-rank service). Great-Martyr Procopius of
      Jerusalem (Six-Stichera-rank service). Righteous Procopius,
      Fool-for-Christ, Wonder-worker of Ustiug. Righteous Procopius of
      Ustya. Venerable Theophilus the Myrrh-Gusher. Monk-Martyr Anastasius
      from Janina, near Constantinople. "Peschanskaya" Icon of the Mother
      of God. Movable Feast for the Fourth Sunday after Pentecost: Synaxis
      of the Saints of the Pskov Caves Monastery.

      At the Third Hour:

      Resurrectional Troparion
      Troparion of the Kazan Icon
      Kontakion of the Kazan Icon

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Resurrectional Troparion
      Troparion of the Kazan Icon
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      10: 6 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 3 of the Canon of the Kazan Icon

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      From paradise didst Thou drive our forefather Adam, who had broken Thy
      commandment, O Christ; but, O Compassionate One, Thou didst cause to
      dwell therein the thief who confessed Thee on the cross, crying out:
      Remember me, O Savior, in Thy kingdom!

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      With the curse of death didst Thou condemn us who had sinned, O Lord,
      Bestower of life; yet having suffered in Thy flesh, O sinless Master,
      Thou hast granted life unto mortals who cry out: Remember us also in
      Thy kingdom!

      In rising from the dead, Thou hast raised us up from the passions with
      Thyself through Thy resurrection, O Lord; and all the power of death
      hast Thou destroyed, O Savior. Wherefore, with faith we cry out to
      Thee: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      O Thou who as God grantest life, by Thy three days in the tomb Thou
      didst raise up with Thyself the dead in hell, and as One Who is good
      Thou hast poured forth incorruption upon all of us who with faith ever
      cry out: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Risen from the dead, O Savior, Thou didst first appear to the
      myrrh-bearing women, crying out: Rejoice! and through them Thou
      didst announce Thy resurrection to Thy friends, O Christ. Wherefore,
      with faith we cry out to Thee, Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Moses, stretching out his arms on the mountain, prefigured the Cross
      and thus conquered Amalek. And, receiving it with faith as a mighty
      weapon against the demons, we all cry out: Remember us also in Thy

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Rejoice, O unshakable, pure and animate palace of Christ the King Most
      High! Rejoice, O Directress, Rejoice! For by thee is our city
      preserved intact!

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      In thy womb which tasted not of wedlock thou didst bodily contain Him
      Whom creation cannot contain, O Virgin Directress. Wherefore,
      magnifying thee as is meet, we chant, Rejoice!

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Thou didst once fill thy first-painted icon with grace, O Virgin Lady
      Theotokos; and now that same grace speaketh forth truly in the
      effulgence of the wonders of faith, as the first one did for the sake
      of thee who wast first depicted thereon, unto those who with faith
      have recourse to thee after God.

      We bow down before the all-pure image of thee and thy Babe all-sweet,
      Christ the pre-eternal and never-waning Light, O Theotokos, by Whom
      thou hast saved all human nature from cruel evils and mortal

      Resurrectional Troparion,Tone 3: Let the heavens be glad;/ let earthly
      things rejoice; / for the Lord hath wrought might with His arm. / He
      hath trampled down death by death; / the first-born of the dead hath
      He become. / From the belly of Hades / hath He delivered us // and
      hath granted to the world great mercy.

      Troparion of the Kazan Icon, Tone 4: O fervent intercessor, Mother of
      the Lord Most High, / thou prayest for all to thy Son, Christ our God,
      / and thou contrivest to save all who have recourse to thy powerful
      protection./ O Sovereign Lady and Queen, help and defend all of us /
      who in troubles and trials, in pains and burdened with many sins, /
      stand before thy most pure Icon in thy presence, / and pray to thee
      with compunction of soul, / contrition of heart, and with tears, / and
      who have unflagging hope in thee. / Grant to all what is good for us,
      / deliverance from all evil, / and save us all, O Virgin Theotokos, //
      for thou art a divine protection to thy servants.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 3: Thou didst rise today from the
      tomb, O Merciful One, / and didst lead us out of the gates of death. /
      Today Adam danceth and Eve rejoiceth; / and together with them both
      the prophets and patriarchs // unceasingly praise the divine might of
      Thine authority.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Both now...

      Kontakion of the Kazan Icon, Tone 8: Let us run, O ye peoples, to
      that quiet and good harbor, to the speedy helper, / to the ready and
      warm salvation, to the Virgin’s protection. / Let us hurry to prayer
      and hasten to repentance; / for the most pure Theotokos poureth out
      for us unfailing mercy, / anticipateth our needs with her help and
      delivereth from great disasters and evils // her well-pleasing and
      God-fearing servants.

      Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 3rd Tone: O chant unto our God, chant
      ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Reader: Clap your hands, all ye nations; shout unto God with a voice
      of rejoicing.
      Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Reader: In the same Tone: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my
      spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior.
      Choir: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in
      God my Savior.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Romans.

      [Romans 6:18-23, §93]: Brethren: Being then made free from sin, ye
      became the servants of righteousness. * I speak after the manner of
      men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded
      your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity;
      even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto
      holiness. * For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from
      righteousness. * What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are
      now ashamed? for the end of those things is death. * But now being
      made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit
      unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. * For the wages of sin is
      death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our

      [Philippians 2:5-11, §240]: Brethren: Let this mind be in you, which
      was also in Christ Jesus: * Who, being in the form of God, thought it
      not robbery to be equal with God: * But made himself of no reputation,
      and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness
      of men: * And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and
      became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. * Wherefore
      God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above
      every name: * That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of
      things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; *
      And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the
      glory of God the Father.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 3rd Tone: In Thee, O Lord, have I hoped, let
      me not be put to shame in the age to come.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Be Thou unto me a God to defend me and a house of refuge to save me.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 8th Tone: Hearken, O daughter, and see, and incline thine ear.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

      [Matthew 8:5-13, §25]: At that time, when Jesus was entered into
      Capernaum, there came unto him a centurion, beseeching him, * And
      saying, Lord, my servant lieth at home sick of the palsy, grievously
      tormented. * And Jesus saith unto him, I will come and heal him. * The
      centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest
      come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be
      healed. * For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me:
      and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he
      cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it. * When Jesus
      heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say
      unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel. * And I
      say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall
      sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.
      * But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer
      darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. * And Jesus
      said unto the centurion, Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be
      it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour.

      [Luke 10:38-42, 11:27-28, §54]: At that time, Jesus entered into a
      certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into
      her house. * And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at
      Jesus' feet, and heard his word. * But Martha was cumbered about much
      serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my
      sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help
      me. * And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art
      careful and troubled about many things: * But one thing is needful:
      and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away
      from her. * And as he spake these things, a certain woman of the
      company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb
      that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. * But he said,
      Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

      It is truly meet...

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! I will
      take the cup of salvation, and I will call upon the name of the Lord.
      Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!