Re: [ustav] Pentecost refrain?

  • Fr David Straut
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2013
      We use it in our parish.

      A note in the Saint John of Kronstadt Press' *The Order of Divine Services *
      says:

      *In some places, before the irmos of the ninth ode, the deacon chants:*

      The Apostles were amazed seeing the Paraklete, the Holy Spirit, come down
      and appear in the form of fiery tongues.

      *Neither the Slavonic Typicon nor the Pentecostarion mentions this practice.
      *

      Archpriest David Straut

      On 28 June 2013 08:06, Jopi Harri <jopi.harri@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Dear Ustavshchiki,
      >
      > I came recently across a refrain for the ninth heirmos of the
      > Canon of Pentecost, quoted to be used for the zadostojnik in
      > Liturgy, whereas none exists in the text edition of
      > Pentecostarion. This appears among the Valaam chant manuscript
      > materials on which I'm doing research, but exists in the Synodal
      > chant book Pentecostarion as well (in Znamenny Chant probably;
      > the Valaam version is an abbreviated variant of that), and in the
      > Bakhmetev Obihod (that chant represents a different ancestry).
      >
      > The text (which is quite nice) reads:
      >
      > "Apostoli soshestvie Uteshitelja zrjashche udivishasja, kako v
      > vide ognennyh jazyk javisja Duh Svjatyj."
      >
      > Would anyone know anything about the origins of this refrain and
      > the mechanism by which it has apparently been faded out in the
      > mainstream liturgical practice? Or is it used by some of you?
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Jopi Harri

    • S. Miller
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 28, 2013
        Father,

        It seems to me that some years ago on this list the Reader Isaac Lambertsen wrote that Metropolitan Philaret had forbidden the use of this refrain in the Cathedral of the Sign.

        in XC,
        DN sERGIUS

        --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Fr David Straut <FrDavidStraut@...> wrote:

        > We use it in our parish.
        >
        > A note in the Saint John of Kronstadt Press' *The Order of Divine Services *
        > says:
        >
        > *In some places, before the irmos of the ninth ode, the deacon chants:*
        >
        > The Apostles were amazed seeing the Paraklete, the Holy Spirit, come down
        > and appear in the form of fiery tongues.
        >
        > *Neither the Slavonic Typicon nor the Pentecostarion mentions this practice.
        > *
        >

        > Archpriest David Straut
        >

        > On 28 June 2013 08:06, Jopi Harri <jopi.harri@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Dear Ustavshchiki,
        > >
        > > I came recently across a refrain for the ninth heirmos of the
        > > Canon of Pentecost, quoted to be used for the zadostojnik in
        > > Liturgy, whereas none exists in the text edition of
        > > Pentecostarion. This appears among the Valaam chant manuscript
        > > materials on which I'm doing research, but exists in the Synodal
        > > chant book Pentecostarion as well (in Znamenny Chant probably;
        > > the Valaam version is an abbreviated variant of that), and in the
        > > Bakhmetev Obihod (that chant represents a different ancestry).
        > >
        > > The text (which is quite nice) reads:
        > >
        > > "Apostoli soshestvie Uteshitelja zrjashche udivishasja, kako v
        > > vide ognennyh jazyk javisja Duh Svjatyj."
        > >
        > > Would anyone know anything about the origins of this refrain and
        > > the mechanism by which it has apparently been faded out in the
        > > mainstream liturgical practice? Or is it used by some of you?
        > >
        > > Sincerely,
        > >
        > > Jopi Harri

      • S. Miller
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 28, 2013
          See no.: 4726\\

          dnS

          --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "S. Miller" <srbmillerr@...> wrote:

          > Father,
          >
          > It seems to me that some years ago on this list the Reader Isaac Lambertsen wrote that Metropolitan Philaret had forbidden the use of this refrain in the Cathedral of the Sign.
          >
          > in XC,
          > DN sERGIUS
          >

          > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Fr David Straut <FrDavidStraut@> wrote:
          > >
          > > We use it in our parish.
          > >
          > > A note in the Saint John of Kronstadt Press' *The Order of Divine Services *
          > > says:
          > >
          > > *In some places, before the irmos of the ninth ode, the deacon chants:*
          > >
          > > The Apostles were amazed seeing the Paraklete, the Holy Spirit, come down
          > > and appear in the form of fiery tongues.
          > >
          > > *Neither the Slavonic Typicon nor the Pentecostarion mentions this practice.
          > > *
          > >

          > > Archpriest David Straut
          > >

          > > On 28 June 2013 08:06, Jopi Harri <jopi.harri@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > **
          > > >

          > > > Dear Ustavshchiki,
          > > >
          > > > I came recently across a refrain for the ninth heirmos of the
          > > > Canon of Pentecost, quoted to be used for the zadostojnik in
          > > > Liturgy, whereas none exists in the text edition of
          > > > Pentecostarion. This appears among the Valaam chant manuscript
          > > > materials on which I'm doing research, but exists in the Synodal
          > > > chant book Pentecostarion as well (in Znamenny Chant probably;
          > > > the Valaam version is an abbreviated variant of that), and in the
          > > > Bakhmetev Obihod (that chant represents a different ancestry).
          > > >
          > > > The text (which is quite nice) reads:
          > > >
          > > > "Apostoli soshestvie Uteshitelja zrjashche udivishasja, kako v
          > > > vide ognennyh jazyk javisja Duh Svjatyj."
          > > >
          > > > Would anyone know anything about the origins of this refrain and
          > > > the mechanism by which it has apparently been faded out in the
          > > > mainstream liturgical practice? Or is it used by some of you?
          > > >
          > > > Sincerely,
          > > >
          > > > Jopi Harri

        • Fr David Straut
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 28, 2013
            Dear Father Sergius,

            Thanks for reminding me of this. I had not remembered.

            Fr David