Re: Question re background singing in Panihida

  • priestsergeialekseev
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 24, 2013
      Dear Lisa,
      Panihida has several litanies and the list of the names of the departed may be broken up into groups, with each group commemorated within every petition of every litany with calls for insertion of names. This is at least what I do. In Russia, when the names are too numerous to be read aloud, some of them get read during the litanies while others are commemorated by the clergy silently while the choir is singing (be it troparia, irmoi, -- anything).
      Fr Sergei Alekseev