Re: [ustav] Re: Abbreviated kneeling vespers?

  • Jopi Harri
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 24, 2013
      You then have the Vespers around 8 o'clock?

      It must be handy as one doesn't need to go home between the
      Liturgy and the Vespers. (Here that wouldn't catch, since people
      are eager to eat right after the Liturgy.)

      - Jopi Harri

      On 24.6.2013 22:56, Philip Silouan Thompson wrote:
      > Our custom has been to start the Paschal midnight office at
      > 4am. (I'm not arguing for it as a practice; it's just what we
      > do.)
      >
      > Deacon Silouan
      >

      > On Jun 24, 2013, at 12:48 PM, "S. Miller" <srbmillerr@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      >> Do I understand you correctly that you serve Paschal Vespers
      >> in the wee hrs. of the morning at the end of the Paschal
      >> Liturgy? Has anyone ever come across this anywhere?
      >>
      >> dnSergius
      >>
      >> --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "silouanthompson"
      >> <himself@...> wrote:
      >>> Thanks to all for the many profitable responses. This was
      >>> our first year serving Vespers at the end of the Divine
      >>> Liturgy for Pascha and Pentecost. In past years, after
      >>> these Liturgies, we've gone away to celebrate Pascha and
      >>> Pentecost with a feast. Unsurprisingly, very few of our
      >>> exhausted, overfed feasters tended to show up for an
      >>> evening service of Vespers; there's an unfortunate
      >>> perception that these Vespers are an optional extra.
      >>>
      >>> The result of our serving Agape and Kneeling Vespers at
      >>> the end of the Liturgy is that many of our parishioners
      >>> experienced these services for the first time.
      >>>
      >>> I do appreciate that Vespers at the end of the festal
      >>> Liturgy is easier if we haven't also stood through Matins
      >>> the same morning. But the decision on when to serve Matins
      >>> is not mine :-)
      >>>
      >>> Thanks again for the spectrum of responses!
      >>>
      >>> In Christ, Deacon Silouan

      >> More ustav information and service texts:
      >> http://www.orthodox.net/ustav

      > http://www.orthodox.net/ustav http://www.orthodox.net/services
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • S. Miller
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 24, 2013
        At one time, and possibly still, the Ukrainian Uniates began the services around that time on Pascha.

        dnS