Old Calendar Choir Cues: 4 Pascha, Sunday of the Paralytic - 13/26 May 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2013
      Christ is risen! The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates
      the service for the Sunday of the Paralytic from the Pentecostarion
      (ODS §4B7, p. 190). The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a
      Temple dedicated to a Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord
      or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are
      indicated by the sign §, followed by the appropriate number. Also,
      please remember that the Resurrectional Troparia and Kontakia re
      pointed for singing from the Liturgy book put together by Dr. Timothy
      Clader.

      As always, my thanks to Father John Whiteford for the material from
      his website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake
      this effort without his help.

      13/26 May 2013

      4TH SUNDAY OF PASCHA - Tone 3
      Sunday of the Healing of the Paralytic

      Epistle:
      Acts 9:32-42 (§23)

      Gospel:
      John 5:1-15 (§14)

      Virgin-Martyr Glykeria and Laodicius, her jailer. Martyr Alexander of
      Rome. St. George the Confessor. St. Pausicacius, Bishop of Synnada.
      Hieromartyr Alexander, Bishop of Tiberiada. Venerable Euthymius,
      founder of the Iveron Monastery on Mount Athos. Venerable John,
      father of St. Euthymius. Venerable George, relative of Venerable
      Euthymius. Venerable Gabriel the Iberian. Venerable Macarius, Abbot
      of Glushitsa Monastery. Righteous Virgin Glykeria of Novgorod.
      Translation of the relics of Hieromartyr Macarius, Archimandrite of
      Obruch and Pinsk. New-Hieromartyr Macarius. 103 New-Hieromartyrs of
      Cherkasi.

      Moveable feasts on the Sunday of the Paralytic: Righteous Tabitha, the
      widow resurrected by St. Peter; Martyr Abraham the Bulgar,
      Wonder-worker of Vladimir.

      HOURS

      At all Hours:
      Resurrectional Troparion
      Glory... Both now...
      Theotokion from the Horologion
      Kontakion of the Paralytic

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      At the beginning of the Liturgy, the Priest sings "Christ is risen..."
      2½ times, and the Choir finishes the last half.

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      4 of the Resurrection, 4 from Ode 6 of the Pentecostarion

      Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
      Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for

      From paradise didst Thou drive our forefather Adam, who had broken Thy
      commandment, O Christ; but, O Compassionate One, Thou didst cause to
      dwell therein the thief who confessed Thee on the cross, crying out:
      Remember me, O Savior, in Thy kingdom!

      In rising from the dead, Thou hast raised us up from the passions with
      Thyself through Thy resurrection, O Lord; and all the power of death
      hast Thou destroyed, O Savior. Wherefore, with faith we cry out to
      Thee: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      3. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      O Thou who as God grantest life, by Thy three days in the tomb Thou
      didst raise up with Thyself the dead in hell, and as One Who is good
      Thou hast poured forth incorruption upon all of us who with faith ever
      cry out: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      4. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      With the curse of death didst Thou condemn us who had sinned, O Lord,
      Bestower of life; yet having suffered in Thy flesh, O sinless Master,
      Thou hast granted life unto mortals who cry out: Remember us also in
      Thy kingdom!

      5. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Of Thine own will Thou wast lifted up upon the Tree, and laid as one
      dead in the sepulchre, and having quickened together all of them that
      were dead in Hades, O Christ, Thou didst raise them by Thy divine
      power.

      6. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      When Hades met Thee below, O Compassionate One, it was embittered, and
      in haste it gave up them that it held in bonds, who with unceasing
      voices praise Thine awesome Resurrection, O Savior.

      7. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      When he that aforetime lay for many years upon a bed of affliction was
      made whole by Thy command, O Christ, he glorified and praised Thy
      compassion, O Giver of life.

      He that sustaineth all things by His divine command is held in thine
      arms, O Virgin Theotokos, and since He is compassionate He doth rescue
      us from the enslaving hand of the evil one.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 3: Let the heavens be glad, / let
      earthly things rejoice; / for the Lord hath wrought might with His
      arm, / He hath trampled down death by death; / the firstborn of the
      dead hath He become. / From the belly of hades / hath He delivered us,
      // and hath granted to the world great mercy.

      Glory…

      Kontakion of the Paralytic, Tone 3: As of old Thou didst raise the
      paralytic, O Lord, / by Thy Divine presence, / raise my soul which is
      paralyzed grievously / by all manner of sins and unseemly deeds, /
      that being saved I may cry out: // O compassionate Christ, glory be to
      Thy power.

      Both now…

      Kontakion, Tone 8: Thou didst descend into the tomb, O Immortal One.
      / Thou didst destroy the power of death. / In victory didst Thou
      arise, O Christ God, / proclaiming “Rejoice!” to the myrrh-bearing
      women; / granting peace to Thine apostles, // and bestowing
      resurrection on the fallen.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 1st Tone: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be
      upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Reader: Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright.
      Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Reader: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us
      Choir: According as we have hoped in Thee.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Acts of the Holy Apostles.

      [Acts 9:32-42, §23]: In those days, as Peter passed throughout all
      quarters, he came down also to the saints which dwelt at Lydda. * And
      there he found a certain man named Aeneas, which had kept his bed
      eight years, and was sick of the palsy. * And Peter said unto him,
      Aeneas, Jesus Christ maketh thee whole: arise, and make thy bed. And
      he arose immediately. * And all that dwelt at Lydda and Saron saw him,
      and turned to the Lord. * Now there was at Joppa a certain disciple
      named Tabitha, which by interpretation is called Dorcas: this woman
      was full of good works and almsdeeds which she did. * And it came to
      pass in those days, that she was sick, and died: whom when they had
      washed, they laid her in an upper chamber. * And forasmuch as Lydda
      was nigh to Joppa, and the disciples had heard that Peter was there,
      they sent unto him two men, desiring him that he would not delay to
      come to them. * Then Peter arose and went with them. When he was come,
      they brought him into the upper chamber: and all the widows stood by
      him weeping, and showing the coats and garments which Dorcas made,
      while she was with them. * But Peter put them all forth, and kneeled
      down, and prayed; and turning him to the body said, Tabitha, arise.
      And she opened her eyes: and when she saw Peter, she sat up. * And he
      gave her his hand, and lifted her up, and when he had called the
      saints and widows, presented her alive. * And it was known throughout
      all Joppa; and many believed in the Lord.

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 5th Tone.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Of Thy mercies, O Lord, will I sing forever, unto generation
      and generation.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: For Thou hast said: Mercy shall be built up forever.

      [John 5:1-15, §14]: At that time, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. * Now
      there is at Jerusalem by the sheep market a pool, which is
      called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having five porches. * In these
      lay a great multitude of impotent folk, of blind, halt, withered,
      waiting for the moving of the water. * For an angel went down at a
      certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then
      first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of
      whatsoever disease he had. * And a certain man was there, which had an
      infirmity thirty and eight years. * When Jesus saw him lie, and knew
      that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt
      thou be made whole? * The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no
      man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I
      am coming, another steppeth down before me. * Jesus saith unto him,
      Rise, take up thy bed, and walk. * And immediately the man was made
      whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the
      sabbath. * The Jews therefore said unto him that was cured, It is the
      sabbath day: it is not lawful for thee to carry thy bed. * He answered
      them, He that made me whole, the same said unto me, Take up thy bed,
      and walk. * Then asked they him, What man is that which said unto
      thee, Take up thy bed, and walk? * And he that was healed wist not who
      it was: for Jesus had conveyed himself away, a multitude being in that
      place. * Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him,
      Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto
      thee. * The man departed, and told the Jews that it was Jesus, which
      had made him whole.

      ZADOSTOINIK

      Instead of "It is truly meet . . .," we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode
      of the Canon of the feast, first Tone ("Thy victorious right
      hand..."):

      Refrain: The angel cried unto her that is full of grace:/ Rejoice, O
      pure Virgin!/ And again I say, rejoice! / For thy Son is risen from
      the grave on the third day,/ and hath raised the dead, O ye people, be joyful!

      Irmos: Shine, shine, O new Jerusalem,/ for the glory of the Lord is
      risen upon thee;/ dance now and be glad, O Sion,/ and do thou exult, O
      pure Theotokos,/ in the arising of Him Whom thou didst bear.

      COMMUNION

      Communion Verse: Receive ye the Body of Christ, taste ye of the
      fountain of immortality. Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him
      in the highest. Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia.

      POST-COMMUNION

      We sing "Christ is risen..." instead of :We have seen the true light..."

      DISMISSAL

      At the dismissal, when the priest says: "Glory to Thee, O Christ
      God..." the Choir sings, "Christ is risen..." x3 instead of "Glory..."
      Both now... Father bless!" Then the priest gives the dismissal.