Old Calendar Choir Cues: Anti-Pascha, Sunday of St. Thomas, 29 April/12 May 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2013
      Christ is risen! The rubrics for this Sunday are taken from the
      Pentecostarion [§4B5 in the Order of Divine Services].

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. I should also note that while these Cues
      are accurate to the best of my knowledge, this *is,* after all, a
      once-a-year service, so please let me know of any discrepancies with
      the usual practice. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are
      indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford for the materials on his website
      (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort
      without his help.

      29 April/12 May 2013
      Sunday 2 of Pascha. Tone 1
      Thomas Sunday; Antipascha
      Epistle: Acts 5:12-20 (§14)
      Gospel: John 20:19-31 (§65)

      Nine Martyrs of Cyzicus: Theognes, Rufus, Antipater, Theostichus,
      Artemas, Magnus, Theodotus, Thaumasius, and Philemon. Venerable
      Memnon the Wonder-worker. Martyrs Diodorus and Rhodopianus, deacon.
      Venerable Nicetas, Abbot of Synnada. St. Arsenius, Archbishop of
      Suzdal. St. Basil of Ostrog, Metropolitan of Zahumlje, Montenegro.
      Martyr Stanko the Shepherd. Venerable Nektary of Optina. Venerable
      Amphilochius of Pochaev.

      The service is from the Pentecostarion (§4B5 in the SJKP Order of
      Divine Services).

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Christ is risen (3x) before the Trisagion of the Usual Beginning at the 3rd Hour
      Festal Troparion
      Glory...
      Troparion of St. Thomas
      Festal Kontakion (of Thomas Sunday)

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Christ is Risen (3x) before the Psalms of the 6th Hour
      Festal Troparion
      Glory...
      Troparion of St. Thomas
      Festal Kontakion (of Thomas Sunday)

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Priest: Blessed is the Kingdom . . .
      Choir: Amen

      Priest: Christ is Risen . . . (x 2.5)

      Choir: And upon those in the tombs . . .

      (NOTE: According to the Typicon of the Great Church, the Paschal
      antiphons are used in place of Typica and Beatitudes at liturgy on
      Sundays until the Apodosis of Pascha; there are also variations in the
      usage of the Paschal Stichera at the Praises, and different
      assignments of the Matins Gospels.)

      BEATITUDES

      8 Troparia: 4 from Ode 3 and 4 from Ode 6 of the Canon from the Pentecostarion

      Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
      Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for

      By Thy Cross Thou didst render us new instead of old, and
      incorruptible instead of corruptible, O Christ; and Thou didst command
      us to live worthily in newness of life.

      (Repeats previous Troparion) By Thy Cross Thou didst render us new
      instead of old, and incorruptible instead of corruptible, O Christ;
      and Thou didst command us to live worthily in newness of life.

      3. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Though enclosed within a grave in Thy circumscribable flesh, Thou
      didst arise, O Christ, Who art uncircumscribable; and while the doors
      were shut, Thou didst come unto Thy disciples, O Almighty One.

      4. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Having preserved intact Thy wounds, which Thou didst endure willingly
      for us, Thou didst show them unto Thy disciples, O Christ, as a
      witness of Thy glorious Resurrection.

      5. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Thou didst not leave Thomas immersed in the depth of unbelief, O
      Master, when he stretched forth his hands to examine Thee.

      6. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      (Repeats previous Troparion) Thou didst not leave Thomas immersed in
      the depth of unbelief, O Master, when he stretched forth his hands to
      examine Thee.

      7. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Our Savior said: When ye touch Me, see that I have bones and flesh; I
      am not subject to change.

      Thomas felt Thy side; and believing, he recognized Thee, though he was
      not present when Thou didst first come, O our Savior.

      TROPARION AND KONTAKION

      Festal Troparion, Tone 7: While the tomb was sealed, Thou O Life,
      didst shine forth from the grave, O Christ God. / And while the
      doors were shut, Thou didst come unto Thy disciples, O Resurrection of
      all, / renewing through them an upright Spirit in us // according to
      Thy great mercy.

      Glory . . . Both now . . .

      Kontakion of St. Thomas, Tone 8: With his searching right hand, Thomas
      did probe Thy life-bearing side, O Christ God; / for when Thou didst
      enter while the doors were shut, // he cried out unto Thee with the
      rest of the disciples: Thou art my Lord and my God!

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 3rd Tone: Great is our Lord, and great
      is His strength, and of His understanding there is no measure.
      Choir: Great is our Lord, and great is His strength, and of His
      understanding there is no measure.
      Reader: Praise ye the Lord, for a psalm is a good thing; let praise be
      sweet unto our God.
      Choir: Great is our Lord, and great is His strength, and of His
      understanding there is no measure.
      Reader: Great is our Lord, and great is His strength.
      Choir: And of His understanding there is no measure.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Acts of the Holy Apostles.

      [Acts 5:12-20, §14]: In those days, by the hands of the apostles were
      many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all
      with one accord in Solomon's porch. * And of the rest durst no man
      join himself to them: but the people magnified them. * And believers
      were the more added to the Lord, multitudes both of men and women.) *
      Insomuch that they brought forth the sick into the streets, and laid
      them on beds and couches, that at the least the shadow of Peter
      passing by might overshadow some of them. * There came also a
      multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick
      folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were
      healed every one. * Then the high priest rose up, and all they that
      were with him, (which is the sect of the Sadducees,) and were filled
      with indignation, * And laid their hands on the apostles, and put them
      in the common prison. * But the angel of the Lord by night opened the
      prison doors, and brought them forth, and said, * Go, stand and speak
      in the temple to the people all the words of this life.

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 8th Tone:
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Come let us rejoice in the Lord, let us shout with jubilation
      unto God our Savior.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: For the Lord is a great God and a Great king over all the earth.

      [John 20:19-31, §65]: On the same day at evening, being the first day
      of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were
      assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and
      saith unto them, Peace be unto you. * And when he had so said, he
      showed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad,
      when they saw the Lord. * Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto
      you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. * And when he had
      said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the
      Holy Ghost: * Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them;
      and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained. * But Thomas, one
      of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. *
      The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord.
      But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of
      the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust
      my hand into his side, I will not believe. * And after eight days
      again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came
      Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace
      be unto you. * Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and
      behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my
      side: and be not faithless, but believing. * And Thomas answered and
      said unto him, My Lord and my God. * Jesus saith unto him, Thomas,
      because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that
      have not seen, and yet have believed. * And many other signs truly did
      Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this
      book: * But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the
      Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through
      his name.

      ZADOSTOINIK

      Instead of "It is truly meet," we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of
      the Canon of the feast, first Tone ("Thy victorious right hand..."):

      Refrain: The angel cried unto her that is full of grace: Rejoice, O
      pure Virgin! And again I say, rejoice! For thy Son is risen from the
      grave on the third day, and hath raised the dead, O ye people, be
      joyful!

      Irmos: Shine, shine, O new Jerusalem, for the glory of the Lord is
      risen upon thee; dance now and be glad, O Zion, and do thou exult, O
      pure Theotokos, in the arising of Him Whom thou didst bear.

      Optional Hymns According to Local Tradition During Communion of the Clergy:

      Canticle of Pascha (Let God Arise")
      Exapostilarion of Pascha ("In the Flesh...")
      "The Angel Cried"

      COMMUNION

      Praise the Lord, O Jerusalem! Praise thy God, O Sion! Alleluia,
      Alleluia, Alleluia.

      PASCHAL DISMISSAL

      Priest: O Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
      Choir: Christ is Risen . . . (x1) SLOWLY
      Priest: Always now and ever and to the ages of ages. Amen.
      Choir: Amen. Let our mouths be filled with Thy praise, O Lord...
      Priest: Glory to Thee, O Christ . . .

      Choir: Christ is Risen . . . (x3)

      Priest: May He who rose from the dead . . .
      Christ is Risen! (Indeed He is Risen!) (x3)

      Choir: Christ is Risen . . (x1)

      (Tone 8) And unto us He has given eternal life. Let us worship His
      resurrection on the third day!