Re: [ustav] Vespers Friday night before Lazarus Saturday

  • Jopi Harri
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 20, 2013
      On 20.4.2013 5:53, priestsergeialekseev wrote:
      > Perhaps it can be considered an odd question but ... I found
      > on an OCA site that, 'out of necessity', Vespers can be served
      > on Friday night for Lazarus Saturday instead of the Liturgy of
      > Presanctified Gifts. Is it an legitimate practice, if 'out of
      > necessity'?

      Certainly.

      > If it is, is it to be served as Lenten Vespers
      > (i.e. with the lenten troparia "Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos...
      > " and others and prostrations, Saint Ephraim's prayer and so
      > on)? If only six stichera are called for, there is not
      > entrance? Is it served as a daily vespers outside of lent? Any
      > advice and benevolent ctiticism is welcomed.

      There are separate rubrics in the Typicon for the case "A idezhe
      ne byti prezhdesvjashchennoj": stichera to six Psalm verses, tone
      6: "Gospodi, Lazarevu...", Glory... now..., theotokion of the
      feast, tone 8: "Dushepoleznuju...". Thereafter O Gladsome Light,
      *no entrance*, prokeimenon and readings of the day. Sticheron
      apostichon "Dushepoleznuju..." twice, martyrion. We also say the
      refrain: "K Tebe vozvedoh ochi moi...", Glory... now..., tone 8:
      "Predstav grobu Lazarevu..." written after "Lord I have cried".
      After the Song of Simeon, Trisagion and the Lord's prayer:
      troparion of the feast: "Obshchee voskresenie...", litany, and
      three great prostrations and the prayer "Vsesvjataja Troitse..."
      and so on as is customary, dismissal, and many years.

      I hope that this is helpful. [I regret that I didn't have the
      possibility to provide the incipits in an English translation.]

      - Jopi Harri