Psalms During Bright Week

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 27 8:05 PM
      I'm aware that normally the reading of the Book of Psalms is suspended
      during Bright Week, but if one is reading them for the repose of
      someone's soul, how is this handled? Can they still be read as
      private prayers, or does one use something different?

    • Daniel Olson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 28 12:24 PM
        On Mar 27, 2013, Margaret Lark wrote:

        > I'm aware that normally the reading of the Book of Psalms is suspended during Bright Week, but if one is reading them for the repose of someone's soul, how is this handled? Can they still be read as private prayers, or does one use something different?

        St. Afanasy (Sakharov), in his comprehensive book on the commemoration of the dead in the Orthodox Church, says that during Bright Week all commemoration of the dead ceases with only one exception, and that is their commemoration at the Proskomedia during the Divine Liturgy.

        Regarding prayers at home, he writes: "According to the ancient rules for prayer in the cell and at home, during the paschal week even in the cell and at home it was permitted to read the commemoration book only as far as the [section for the] reposed."

        Daniel Olson

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 28 12:28 PM
          On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Daniel Olson <danielolson@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > On Mar 27, 2013, Margaret Lark wrote:
          >
          > > I'm aware that normally the reading of the Book of Psalms is suspended
          > during Bright Week, but if one is reading them for the repose of someone's
          > soul, how is this handled? Can they still be read as private prayers, or
          > does one use something different?
          >
          > St. Afanasy (Sakharov), in his comprehensive book on the commemoration of
          > the dead in the Orthodox Church, says that during Bright Week all
          > commemoration of the dead ceases with only one exception, and that is their
          > commemoration at the Proskomedia during the Divine Liturgy.
          >
          > Regarding prayers at home, he writes: "According to the ancient rules for
          > prayer in the cell and at home, during the paschal week even in the cell
          > and at home it was permitted to read the commemoration book only as far as
          > the [section for the] reposed."
          >
          > Daniel Olson

          Great, thank you, Reader Daniel!

          In Christ,
          Margaret

        • deaconddemetrius
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 30 5:05 AM
            Is there a rubric for censing at the 9th Ode of a Canon?

            My
            question is:  does the Deacon always cense during the 9th Ode of any
            Canon or only festal ones?

            dn demetrius

          • archimandritekyril
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 30 5:28 AM
              At Matins there is always censing at the 9th Ode. When there is no Deacon this censing is done by the Priest. In many places Deacons will only serve at Matins on Sundays and Feast Days.

              Archimandrite Kyril Jenner