Old Calendar Choir Cues: First Sunday of Lent, Sunday of Orthodoxy - 11/24 March 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2013
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar specifies the service for
      the First Sunday of Great Lent and Sunday of Orthodoxy. The outline
      for the Sunday of Orthodoxy is located in the Order of Divine Services
      (§3B13) on page 109.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel
      are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number. A reminder:
      The Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for chanting
      according to the book put together by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      11/24 March 2013

      FIRST SUNDAY OF GREAT LENT (SUNDAY OF ORTHODOXY) -- Tone 1

      Epistle:
      Hebrews 11:24-26, 11:32-12:2 (§329, from the midpoint)

      Gospel:
      John 1:43-51 (§5)

      First Sunday of Great Lent and Sunday of Orthodoxy. St. Sophronius,
      Patriarch of Jerusalem. St. Euthymius, Archbishop of Novgorod
      (Doxology-rank service). Translation of the relics of the Martyr
      Epimachus of Pelusium. Hieromartyr Pionius of Smyrna and those with
      him: Asclepiades, Macedonia, Linus, and Sabina. Venerable John
      Moskhos. Venerable George of Mount Sinai. Venerable Sophronius,
      Recluse of the Kiev Caves. St. Sophronius, Bishop of Vraca, Bulgaria.
      Venerable Alexius of Goloseevsk Skete, Kiev Caves.

      HOURS

      At all Hours:

      Troparion from the Triodion
      Kontakion from the Triodion

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. BASIL THE GREAT

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes):
      10 Troparia: 6 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 6 of the Triodion Canon

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      Through food did the enemy lead Adam forth from paradise; but by the
      Cross hath Christ led back to it the thief who cried: Remember me
      when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      With Adam and the thief I worship Thy sufferings and glorify Thy
      resurrection; and I cry out with a splendid voice: Remember me, O
      Lord, when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      O Sinless One, of Thine own will Thou wast crucified and placed in the
      Tomb, yet Thou didst arise as God, raising up with Thyself Adam who
      crieth out: Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      Raising up the temple of Thy body by Thy resurrection on the third
      day, O Christ God, Thou didst raise up Adam and his descendants who
      cry: Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Very early, the myrrh-bearing women arrived, weeping, at Thy tomb, O
      Christ God; and they found an angel sitting there, clad in white
      garments, who said: What seek ye? Christ is risen! Lament no longer!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      When Thine apostles went to the mountain whither Thou hadst commanded
      them to go, and saw Thee, O Savior, they worshipped Thee; and Thou
      didst send them unto the nations, to teach and baptize them.

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Once more the Master's countenance is depicted, honored with faith and
      venerated; once more the Church regains her boldness of approach to
      God, reverently glorifying the Savior.

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      The Church of Christ is delivered from the dark despondency of heresy:
      she puts on a robe of gladness, and is clothed in the light of divine
      grace.

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      The Orthodox people has regained the light and glory which it had of
      old, though the decision of the Empress Theodora and her pious son the
      Emperor Michael.

      He who of old commanded Moses to set up the ark of the testimony, came
      to dwell in thee, O Virgin, as in a spiritual ark: He alone is
      glorified, and he makes thy temple glorious with miracles.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 1: When the stone had been sealed by
      the Jews, / and the soldiers were guarding Thine immaculate Body, /
      Thou didst rise on the third day, O Savior, / granting life unto the
      world. / Wherefore, the hosts of the Heavens cried out to Thee, O
      Life-Giver: / Glory to Thy Resurrection, O Christ! / Glory to Thy
      Kingdom! // Glory to Thy dispensation, O only Lover of mankind!

      Festal Troparion, Tone 2: We venerate Thine immaculate Icon, O Good
      One, / asking the forgiveness of our failings, O Christ God; / for of
      Thine Own will Thou was well-pleased to ascend the Cross in the flesh
      / that Thou mightest deliver from slavery to the enemy those whom thou
      hadst fashioned. / Wherefore, we cry to Thee thankfully: // Thou didst
      fill all things with joy, O our Savior, when Thou camest to save the
      world.

      Glory... Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 8: The uncircumscribable Word of the Father was
      circumscribed / when He took flesh of thee, O Theotokos; / and when He
      had restored the defiled image to its ancient state, / He suffused it
      with divine beauty. // As for us, confessing our salvation, we record
      it in deed and word.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 4th Tone: Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the
      God of our fathers, and praised and glorified is Thy name unto the
      ages.
      Choir: Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers, and praised
      and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.
      Reader: For righteous art Thou in all which Thou hast done for us.
      Choir: Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers, and praised
      and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.
      Reader: Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers
      Choir: and praised and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Hebrews.

      [Hebrews 11:24-26;32-12:2, §329 from the midpoint]: Brethren: By faith
      Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of
      Pharaoh's daughter; * Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the
      people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season; *
      Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in
      Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward. And what
      shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of
      Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and
      of the prophets: * Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought
      righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, *
      Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of
      weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight
      the armies of the aliens. * Women received their dead raised to life
      again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they
      might obtain a better resurrection: * And others had trial of cruel
      mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment: *
      They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain
      with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being
      destitute, afflicted, tormented; * (Of whom the world was not worthy:)
      they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of
      the earth. * And these all, having obtained a good report through
      faith, received not the promise: * God having provided some better
      thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect. *
      Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of
      witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so
      easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set
      before us, * Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;
      who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising
      the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 4th Tone
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Moses and Aaron among His priests, and Samuel among them that
      call upon His name.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: They called upon the Lord, and He hearkened unto them.

      [John 1:43-51, §5]: At that time, Jesus would go forth into Galilee,
      and findeth Philip, and saith unto him, Follow me. * Now Philip was of
      Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. * Philip findeth Nathanael,
      and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and
      the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph. * And
      Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of
      Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see. * Jesus saw Nathanael
      coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom
      is no guile! * Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus
      answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou
      wast under the fig tree, I saw thee. * Nathanael answered and saith
      unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.
      * Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw
      thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things
      than these. * And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you,
      Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending
      and descending upon the Son of man.

      ZADOSTOINIK

      Instead of "It is truly meet..." we sing [in Tone 8 of the Octoechos,
      but usually sung to one of many special melodies]:

      All creation -- the assembly of angels and the race of man --
      rejoiceth in thee, O thou who art full of grace, O sacred temple and
      noetical paradise, boast of virgins, from whom God, Who existeth from
      before time, was incarnate and became a child; for He made thy body a
      throne, and thy womb He made more spacious than the heavens. All
      creation rejoiceth in thee, O thou who art full of grace. Glory to
      thee!

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest! Rejoice in
      the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Alleluia!
      Alleluia! Alleluia!

      NOTE: It is customary in parishes on this Sunday to serve the Moleben
      for the return of those who have departed into error.