Re: date of Pascha in 2013

  • silouanthompson
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 17, 2013
      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "betsytumbas" <betsytumbas@...> wrote:
      > Thanks to all who responded to my question. All this has been very interesting, but I am still puzzled as how Orthodox Pascha can be so far removed from Passover this year.

      I assume the Catholics and Jews are both using a date about March 21 when they calculate Passover and Easter. So they are starting out 13 days before the equinox on the Orthodox Church calendar (March 21 for us doesn't come round till April 3 on the civil calendar.)

      The Jewish Passover is on the first full moon after the spring equinox, but that full moon may fall before *our* spring equinox. When that happens, we have to wait about four weeks for the right phase of the moon to come round again.

      The ecclesiastical spring equinox is fixed at March 21/April 3;
      This year, the Paschal full moon date is Tuesday, April 17/30;
      The following Sunday is Pascha: April 22/May 5.

      -Dn Silouan
    • gregdoug52us
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 19, 2013
        --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "betsytumbas" <betsytumbas@...> wrote:
        > I am being asked this question a lot and don't know the answer: "if Equinox is March 20 and Passover ends April 1 and the first full moon following is April 25....why is Orthodox Easter on May 5th?"

        Actually, Orthodox Easter this year is on Sunday, April 22 Julian... which happens to look like May 5 on the Gregorian Calendar (for the current Century).

        The short answer is that we do not calculate Pascha astronomically (and neither does the West). Rather, we use Tables which were (to a good approximation) astronomically correct when they were first drawn up, in the Third Christian Century.

        The West, on the contrary, uses Tables which amend the Tables we use, giving results which (to a good approximation) were astronomically correct in the 1500's... according to the Italians' revised notions of what "astronomically correct" should mean.

        -- Gregorios
      • gregdoug52us
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 19, 2013
          --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "silouanthompson" <himself@...> wrote:

          > I assume the Catholics and Jews are both using a date about March 21 when they calculate Passover and Easter.

          True for the Catholics, False for the Jews.

          The Jewish Tekufah, or Ecclesiastical Equinox, occurs this year on Wednesday, March 14th Julian at 15 hours 849 parts and 36 regaim Jewish Time, equivalent to March 27th Gregorian... about one week after the Astronomical Equinox this year.

          > The Jewish Passover is on the first full moon after the spring equinox...

          If the Tekufah occurs in the Hebrew Month of Nissan, it must occur in the first 16 days of that Month. If it occurs on the 17th day or later, then that month is NOT Nissan, and the following Month will be Nissan. The Feast of the Passover (Pesach), as always, is on the 15th Day of Nissan, which falls this year on Tuesday March 26 Gregorian (beginning of course at Sundown of the previous day).

          The "Full Moon" has nothing to do with it, except as a convenient rough approximation.

          Note that the Passover this year is one day PRIOR to the Equinox according to the Jewish Reckoning! (And one day PRIOR to the Full Moon, which is also March 27th Gregorian.) Also, note that Passover is always on the 15th Day of the Month, whereas the Christian Calendar always calculates Pascha from the 14th Day of the Moon, which is (inaccurately) called "the Paschal Full Moon". The Italians (in the 1500's) shifted the starting point of each Lunar Month to force the actual Full Moon closer to the 14th on their Calendar... but "from the beginning it was not so".

          > The ecclesiastical spring equinox is fixed at March 21j/April 3g;
          > This year, the Paschal full moon date is Tuesday, April 17j/30g;
          > The following Sunday is Pascha: April 22j/May 5g.

          Correct.

          -- Gregorios