Re: Video clip: Old Believer hierarchical vesting

  • James
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13, 2013
      Nikita, it appears that women were standing on the left side of the church during the visting! I thought that in the Old Rite, women were on the left side, men on the right. All in all a good video!
      thanks.

      Rdr. James Morgan

      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "starina77" <starina77@...> wrote:

      > Greetings, all
      >
      > Although I am not a fan of people casually posting links to YouTube videos on forums merely for the sake of entertainment, I am always happy when someone posts a link to a video that is truly enlightening or instructive. I felt that this was worth sharing.
      >
      > It's a video clip captured by someone in Romania at the Old Orthodox Church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul in the city of Pjatra Njamc, of the vesting of Metropolitan Leontii (Belokrinitsa Hierarchy) in preparation for a hierarchical Liturgy (September 12, 2012). The video was probably done with a cell phone camera, but all in all it is not bad, and some care was taken to capture the singing and the vesting sequence. It is quite typical of the Old Rite vesting ritual, and some of our members might find it pleasant to watch.
      >
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1luFTs-Zs6Y
      >
      > In XC,
      >
      > Nikita Simmons

    • starina77
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13, 2013
        It varies a bit from place to place, depending usually on the ratio of women to men in the parish, and the regional tradition. It seems that in many Old Believer parishes outside Russia (like the Romanian parish featured here), women stand in the back and men toward the front, since men are usually the ones who sing and read in emigre parishes. But within Russia, there is a more balanced practice of men and women singing and reading, and so the women stand more on the left and men on the right. There are a few parishes in Oregon where the informal dividing line is actually more of a diagonal divide with men all across the front and tapering back to the right corner, and women all across the back and tapering to the front left. It all depends on demographics.