Old Calendar Choir Cues: Forgiveness Sunday, 4/17 March 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2013
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates: "Forgiveness
      Sunday and Commemoration of the Exile of Adam from Paradise
      (Cheesefare Sunday)." The outline for Cheesefare Sunday is located in
      the Order of Divine Services (§3B11).

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel
      are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number. A reminder:
      The Resurrectional Troparion and
      Kontakion are pointed for singing from the music book by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      4/17 March 2013

      FORGIVENESS SUNDAY/COMMEMORATION OF THE EXILE OF ADAM FROM PARADISE
      (CHEESEFARE SUNDAY) -- Tone 8

      Epistle:
      Romans 13:11-14:4 (§112)

      Gospel:
      Matthew 6:14-21 (§17)

      Forgiveness Sunday and Commemoration of the Exile of Adam from
      Paradise (Cheesefare Sunday). Venerable Gerasimus of the Jordan.
      Martyr Paul and his sister Juliana, and with them Quadratus, Acacius,
      and Stratonicus. St. Gregory, Bishop of Constantia. Venerable James
      the Faster. Translation of the relics of Blessed Prince Wenceslaus
      (Vyacheslav) of the Czech Lands. Right-believing Prince Basil
      (Vasil'ko) of Rostov. St. Gregory, Bishop of Assos, near Ephesus.
      Venerable Gerasimus of Vologda. Venerable Joasaph of Snetogorsk
      Monastery, Pskov. Venerable Basil of Mirozh. New-Hieromartyr Dimitry
      Ivanov of Kiev.

      HOURS

      At all Hours:

      Resurrectional Troparion
      Glory... Both now...
      Theotokion from the Horologion
      Kontakion from the Triodion

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes):
      10 Troparia: 6 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 6 of the Triodion Canon

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      Remember us, O Christ, Thou Savior of the world, as Thou didst
      remember the thief upon the Cross; and account us all worthy of Thy
      heavenly kingdom, O Thou Who alone art compassionate.

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      Hearken, O Adam, and rejoice with Eve; for he who of old stripped you
      both naked, and by deception hath taken all of us captive, hath been
      set at nought by the Cross of Christ.

      Nailed of Thine own will to the Tree, O our Savior, Thou didst deliver
      Adam from the curse which came through the tree, and hast rewarded
      that which is in Thine image with a dwelling in paradise, in that Thou
      art compassionate.

      Today is Christ risen from the tomb, granting incorruption unto all
      the faithful; and He reneweth the joy of the myrrh-bearing women after
      His suffering and resurrection.

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Rejoice, O wise myrrh-bearing women, who were first to behold the
      resurrection of Christ, and who proclaimed to the apostles the glad
      tidings of the restoration of the whole world!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      O ye apostles, who are manifestly the friends of Christ and are to be
      enthroned with Him in glory: entreat Him with boldness, that He
      intercede for us, for ye are His disciples.

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      O Savior, in Thy compassion Thou hast clothed me in Eden with a
      divinely woven garment; but, persuaded by the devil, I neglected Thy
      commandment and was stripped naked in my wretchedness.

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      O miserable soul, thou hast departed far from God through thy
      carelessness; Thou hast been deprived of the delight of Paradise and
      parted from the angels; thou hast been led down into corruption. How
      art thou fallen!

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Almighty God, have mercy and take pity on the work of Thy hands. I
      have cut myself off from the choir of Thine angels; but I entreat
      Thee, loving Lord, reject me not.

      O Mary chosen by God, Queen of the world, thou hast borne the Lord who
      is King of all and Redeemer. I am a prisoner and an exile from the
      glory of Paradise: I entreat thee, call me back.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 8: From on high didst Thou descend, O
      Compassionate One. / To burial of three days hast Thou submitted, /
      that Thou mightest free us from our passions. // O our life and
      Resurrection, O Lord, glory be to Thee!

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Glory...

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Both now...

      Kontakion of Forgiveness Sunday, Tone 6: O Thou guide unto wisdom, /
      Bestower of prudence, instructor of the foolish and defender of the
      poor: / Establish and grant understanding unto my heart, O Master. /
      Grant me speech, O Word of the Father; / for behold, I shall not keep
      my lips from crying unto Thee: O Merciful One, // have mercy on me who
      have fallen.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 8th Tone: Make your vows and pay them
      to the Lord our God.
      Choir: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.
      Reader: In Judea is God known, His name is great in Israel.
      Choir: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.
      Reader: Make your vows
      Choir: and pay them to the Lord our God.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Romans.

      [Romans 13:11-14:4, §112]: Brethren: Now it is high time to awake out
      of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. * The
      night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the
      works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light. * Let us walk
      honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in
      chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. * But put on the
      Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfill
      the lusts thereof. * Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not
      to doubtful disputations. * For one believeth that he may eat all
      things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. * Let not him that eateth
      despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not, judge
      him that eateth: for God hath received him. * Who art thou that
      judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or
      falleth. Yea, he shall be held up: for God is able to make him stand .

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 6th Tone.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: It is good to give praise unto the Lord and to chant unto Thy
      name, O Most High.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: To proclaim in the morning Thy mercy, and Thy truth by night.

      [Matthew 6:14-21, §17]: The Lord said: If ye forgive men their
      trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: * But if ye
      forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive
      your trespasses. * Moreover, when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites,
      of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may
      appear unto men to fast . Verily I say unto you, They have their
      reward. * But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy
      face; * That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father
      which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall
      reward thee openly . * Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth,
      where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and
      steal: * But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither
      moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor
      steal: * For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

      DOSTOINIK

      It is truly meet to bless thee, the Theotokos...

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest!
      Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!