Old Calendar Choir Cues: Triodion 2, 18 February/3 March 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2013
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates the Divine
      Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom for the Sunday of the Prodigal Son.
      The outline for this Sunday is located in the Order of Divine Services
      at §3B2.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please send them to me as soon as possible at
      woolfolk3@..., so that corrected versions may be distributed in
      a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from
      other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and
      Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number. A
      reminder: The Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for
      chanting according to the book put together by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      18 February/3 March 2013
      SUNDAY OF THE PRODIGAL SON (Triodion 2) -- Tone 6

      Epistle: 1 Corinthians 6:12-20 (§135)

      Gospel: Luke 15:11-32 (§79)

      Sunday of the Prodigal Son. St. Leo the Great, Pope of Rome. St.
      Flavian the Confessor, Patriarch of Constantinople. St. Agapitus the
      Confessor, Bishop of Synnada. Venerable Blaise of Mount Athos.
      Hieromartyr Abid, Bishop. Venerable Cosmas of Yakhromsk. St.
      Nicholas, Catholicos of Georgia. Finding of the relics of New-Martyr
      Irene of Lesbos.

      HOURS:

      At all Hours:
      Resurrectional Troparion
      Glory... Both now...
      Theotokion from the Horologion
      Kontakion of the Prodigal Son

      DIVINE LITURGY

      The Beatitudes: 6 from the Octoechos, 4 from Ode VI of the Canon of the Triodion

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom, O God my Savior, and save
      me, for Thou alone lovest mankind.

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      By a tree was Adam deceived; yet again by the Tree of the Cross was
      the thief saved, who cried out: Remember me in Thy kingdom, O Lord!

      O Bestower of life, Who hadst broken down the gates and portals of
      hades, Thou hast saved all who cry out to Thee, O Savior: Glory to
      Thine arising!

      O Thou Who by Thy burial hast made death captive, and by Thy
      resurrection hast filled all with joy: remember me, in that Thou art
      compassionate.

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      The myrrh-bearing women who came to the tomb heard an angel cry out:
      Christ, Who hath enlightened all things is risen!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Together let us all hymn Christ, Who was nailed to the Cross and hath
      delivered the world from beguilement.

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      The depth of sin ever holds me fast, and the tempest of transgressions
      overwhelms me. Pilot me, O Christ my God, to the haven of life and
      save me, King of glory.

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      I have wasted in evil living the riches which the Father gave me, and
      now am brought to poverty. I am filled with shame and enslaved to
      fruitless thoughts. Therefore I cry to Thee who lovest mankind: Take
      pity on me and save me.

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      I am wasted with hunger, deprived of every blessing, and an exile from
      Thy presence, O Christ supreme in loving-kindness. Take pity on me as
      I now return, and save me as I sing the praises of Thy love for
      mankind.

      O Maiden who hast conceived Christ the Savior and Master, though in my
      poverty I lack all good, count me worthy of salvation, O pure Virgin,
      that I may sing the praises of thy majesty.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 6. Angelic hosts were above Thy tomb, /
      and they that guarded Thee became as dead, / and Mary stood by the
      grave, / seeking Thine immaculate Body; / Thou didst despoil hades and
      wast not tempted by it. / Thou didst meet the Virgin and didst grant
      us life, / O Thou Who didst rise from the dead, // O Lord, glory be to
      Thee.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Glory...

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Both now...

      Kontakion of the Prodigal Son, Tone 3: Having foolishly abandoned Thy
      paternal glory, / I squandered on vices the wealth which
      Thou gavest me. / Wherefore, I cry unto Thee with the voice of the
      Prodigal: / I have sinned before Thee, O compassionate Father. /
      Receive me as one repentant, // and make me as one of Thy hired
      servants.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 6th Tone: Save, O Lord, Thy people and
      bless Thine inheritance.
      Choir: Save, O Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
      Reader: Unto Thee, O Lord, Will I cry; O my God, be not silent unto me.
      Choir: Save, O Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
      Reader: Save, O Lord, Thy people.
      Choir: and bless Thine inheritance.

      Reader: The Reading is from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul
      to the Corinthians.

      [1 Corinthians 6:12-20, §135]: Brethren: All things are lawful unto
      me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me,
      but I will not be brought under the power of any. * Meats for the
      belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy both it and
      them. Now the body is not for fornication, but for the Lord; and the
      Lord for the body. * And God hath both raised up the Lord, and will
      also raise up us by his own power. * Know ye not that your bodies are
      the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and
      make them the members of an harlot? God forbid. * What? know ye not
      that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he,
      shall be one flesh. * But he that is joined unto the Lord is one
      spirit. * Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the
      body; but he that commiteth fornication sinneth against his own body.
      * What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost
      which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? * For
      ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in
      your spirit, which are God's.

      THE ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 6th Tone.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: He that dwelleth in the help of the Most High shall abide in
      the shelter of the God of heaven.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: He shall say unto the Lord: Thou art my helper and my refuge.
      He is my God, and I will hope in Him.

      [Luke 15:11-32, §79]: The Lord said: A certain man had two sons: * And
      the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of
      goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living. * And
      not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took
      his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with
      riotous living. * And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty
      famine in that land; and he began to be in want. * And he went and
      joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his
      fields to feed swine. * And he would fain have filled his belly with
      the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him. * And when
      he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's
      have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! * I will
      arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have
      sinned against heaven, and before thee, * And am no more worthy to be
      called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants. * And he arose,
      and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his
      father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and
      kissed him. * And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against
      heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.
      * But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and
      put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet: *
      And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be
      merry: * For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost,
      and is found. And they began to be merry. * Now his elder son was in
      the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard music
      and dancing. * And he called one of the servants, and asked what these
      things meant. * And he said unto him, Thy brother is come; and thy
      father hath killed the fatted calf, because he hath received him safe
      and sound. * And he was angry, and would not go in: therefore came his
      father out, and intreated him. * And he answering said to his father,
      Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any
      time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might
      make merry with my friends: * But as soon as this thy son was come,
      which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him
      the fatted calf. * And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me,
      and all that I have is thine. * It was meet that we should make merry,
      and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and
      was lost, and is found.

      DOSTOINIK

      It is truly meet to bless thee, O Theotokos...

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest! Alleluia!
      Alleluia! Alleluia!