Old Calendar Choir Cues: Triodion 1, Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee, 11/24 February 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2013
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates the Divine
      Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom for the Sunday of the Publican and the
      Pharisee. The outline for this Sunday is located in the Order of
      Divine Services at §3B1.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please send them to me as soon as possible at
      woolfolk3@..., so that corrected versions may be distributed in
      a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from
      other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and
      Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number. A
      reminder: The Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for
      chanting according to the book put together by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      11/24 February 2013

      2 Timothy 3:10-15 (§296)

      Luke 18:10-14 (§89)

      Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee. Hieromartyr Blaise, Bishop
      of Sebaste. Hieromartyr Lucius, Bishop of Adrianople. St. Eutropius,
      Bishop of Adrianople. Venerable Demetrius, Wonder-worker of Priluki
      and Vologda ((Doxology-rank service). Holy Right-believing Prince
      Vsevolod (Gabriel in baptism), Wonder-worker of Pskov
      (Six-Stichera-rank service). Righteous Empress Theodora, who restored
      veneration of the Holy Icons. New-Martyr, George the Serbian of

      At all Hours:

      Resurrectional Troparion
      Glory... Both now...
      Theotokion from the Horologion
      Kontakion from the Triodion

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes):
      10 Troparia: 6 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 6 of the Triodion Canon

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      Believing Thee to be God, O Christ, the thief on the cross confessed
      Thee in a pure manner, crying out from the depths of his heart:
      Remember me in Thy kingdom, O Lord!

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      Together let us hymn as Savior and Creator, Him Who on the Cross
      budded forth life for our race and caused the curse which originated
      from the tree to wither up.

      By Thy death hast Thou destroyed the power of death, O Christ, and
      Thou didst raise up with Thyself the dead of ages past, who now hymn
      Thee as our true God and Savior.

      Arriving at Thy tomb, O Christ, the honorable women sought to anoint
      Thee with myrrh, O Bestower of life; but an angel appeared to them,
      crying out: The Lord is risen!

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      When Thou wast crucified between two condemned thieves, O Christ, one
      of them blasphemed Thee and was justly damned, while the other
      confessed Thee and dwelleth now in paradise.

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      When they had come to the choir of the apostles, the honorable women
      cried out: Christ is risen! Let us worship Him as Master and Creator.

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      The Publican and the Pharisee ran the race of life together, but the
      one was overcome by foolish pride and brought to shameful shipwreck,
      while the other was saved by humility.

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      Changing to a righteous course of life, let us emulate the wisdom of
      the Publican and flee from the hateful conceit of the Pharisee; and so
      let us attain to life.

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Let us eagerly follow the ways of Jesus the Savior and His humility,
      if we desire to attain the everlasting tabernacle of joy and to dwell
      in the land of the living.

      I was created naked in innocence and simplicity; then the enemy
      clothed me in the raiment of transgression and the grossness of the
      flesh. But now through thy mediation, O Maiden, I am saved.

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 5: Let us, O faithful, praise and
      worship the Word, / Who is co-unoriginate with the Father and the
      Spirit, / and Who was born of the Virgin for our salvation; / for He
      was pleased to ascend the Cross in the Flesh, / and to endure death,
      // and to raise the dead by His glorious Resurrection.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Both now...

      Kontakion from the Triodion, Tone 3: Unto the Lord let us sinners
      offer groanings like those of the Publican / and let us fall down
      before Him, as He is Master. / For He desireth the salvation of all
      men; / He granteth forgiveness unto all that repent. / For our sake He
      became incarnate, // He who with the Father is co-unoriginate God.

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 5th Tone: Thou, O Lord, shalt keep us
      and shalt preserve us from this generation and for evermore.
      Choir: Thou, O Lord, shalt keep us and shalt preserve us from this
      generation and for evermore.
      Reader: Save me, O Lord for a righteous man there is no more.
      Choir: Thou, O Lord, shalt keep us and shalt preserve us from this
      generation and for evermore.
      Reader: Thou, O Lord, shalt keep us and shalt preserve us.
      Choir: From this generation and for evermore.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to Timothy.

      [2 Timothy 3:10-15, §296]: Timothy, my son: Thou hast fully known my
      doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity,
      patience, * persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch,
      at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them
      all the Lord delivered me. * Yea, and all that will live godly in
      Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution . * But evil men and seducers
      shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived . * But
      continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been
      assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; * And that from a
      child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee
      wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 5th Tone:
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Of Thy mercies, O Lord, will I sing for ever. Unto generation
      and generation will I declare Thy truth with my mouth.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: For Thou hast said: Mercy shall be built up for ever, in the
      heavens shall Thy truth be established.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

      [Luke 18:10-14, §89]: The Lord spoke this parable: Two men went up
      into the temple to pray ; the one a Pharisee, and the other a
      publican. * The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I
      thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust,
      adulterers, or even as this publican. * I fast twice in the week, I
      give tithes of all that I possess . * And the publican, standing afar
      off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon
      his breast, saying , God be merciful to me a sinner. * I tell you,
      this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for
      every one that exalteth himself shall be abased ; and he that humbleth
      himself shall be exalted .

      It is truly meet...

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest. Alleluia!
      Alleluia! Alleluia!