Old Calendar Choir Cues: 37 Pentecost, 4/17 February 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2013
      For this day, the St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar specifies the
      service for Venerable Isidore of Pelusium and the Afterfeast of the
      Meeting of the Lord.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please send them to me as soon as possible at
      woolfolk3@..., so that corrected versions may be distributed in
      a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from
      other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and
      Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number. A
      reminder: The Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for
      chanting according to the book put together by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      4/17 February 2013

      For the Sunday: 1 Timothy 4:9-15 (§285, from the midpoint)

      For the Sunday: Luke 19:1-10 (§94)

      Afterfeast of the Meeting of the Lord. Venerable Isidore of Pelusium.
      Holy Right-believing Prince George of Vladimir. Venerable Cyril,
      Abbot and wonder-worker of New Lake. Venerable Nicholas the
      Confessor, Abbot of the Studion Monastery. St. John, Bishop of
      Irenopolis. Hieromartyr Abramius, Bishop of Arbela in Assyria.
      Martyr Jadorus, Venerable Abraham, and Coprius of Pechenga. St.
      Phileas, Bishop of Thmuis. St. Evagrius, fellow-ascetic of St. Shio
      of Mgvime, Georgia. Martyr Joseph of Aleppo. New Hieromartyr
      Methodius, Bishop of Petropavlovsk (1921). New Hieromartyrs Priests
      Alexander Minervin, Alexander Pokrovskii, Alexander Sokolov, Alexius
      Knyazhenskii, Alexius Lebedev, Alexius Sharov, Andrei Bednov, Arcadius
      Lobtsov, Boris Nazarov, Demetrius of Kedrolivanskii, Eustathius
      Sokolskii, John Aleshkovskii, John Artobolevskii, John Tikhomirov,
      Michael Rybin, Nicholas Kandaurov, Nicholas Golyshev, Nicholas
      Pospelov, Peter Sokolov, Theodore Bobkov, Hieromartyr Archdeacon
      Serafim (Vavilov), Nun-martyrs Anna, Raphaela, Martyrs Basil Ivanov,
      Demetrius Kazamatskii, John Shuvalov, and Theodore Palshkov, at

      At the Third Hour:

      Resurrectional Troparion
      Troparion of St. Isidore
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Resurrectional Troparion
      Festal Troparion
      Festal Kontakion

      The Beatitudes: 10: 6 from the Octoechos, 4 from Ode 4 of the Festal Canon

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      By the tree was Adam forced to depart from paradise; but by the Tree
      of the Cross was the thief made to dwell in paradise. For the one by
      tasting, broke the commandment of the creator; while the other,
      crucified with Him, confessed the hidden God, crying out: Remember me
      in Thy kingdom!

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      O Lord Who wast lifted up upon the Cross, Who hast destroyed the power
      of death and as God hast destroyed the record of our sins, grant also
      the repentance of the thief unto us who faithfully serve Thee and cry
      out to thee, O Christ God Who alone lovest mankind: Remember us also
      in Thy kingdom!

      On the Cross Thou didst tear asunder with the spear the record of our
      sins; and, numbered among the dead, Thou didst bind the tyrant of
      hades, O Lord Who lovest mankind, Who by Thy resurrection hast
      delivered all from the bonds of hades. Thereby have we been
      illumined, and we cry to Thee: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      O Thou Who alone art immortal, Who wast crucified and as almighty
      didst arise from the tomb on the third day, and hast raised up Adam,
      the first created: Vouchsafe that I also may turn to repentance with
      my whole heart, and may ever cry out to Thee with fervent faith:
      Remember me, O Savior, in Thy kingdom!

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      For our sake He Who is without passion became a man subject to the
      passions; and, nailed of His own will to the Cross, He hath raised us
      up with Himself. Wherefore, we glorify His Cross, passion, and
      resurrection, whereby we have been refashioned and whereby we also are
      saved, who cry out: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      O ye faithful, let us entreat Him who hath risen from the dead, hath
      made captive the dominion of hades, and wast seen by the myrrh-bearing
      women and said to them: “Rejoice!”, that He deliver from corruption
      the souls of us who ever cry out to Him with the voice of the noble
      thief: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Thy virtue, O Christ, hath covered the heavens, for proceeding forth
      from the Ark of Thy sanctification, from Thine undefiled Mother, Thou
      hast appeared in the temple of Thy glory as an infant in arms, and the
      whole world hath been filled with Thy praise.

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      Rejoicing, the Theotokos cried out: O Symeon, initiate of ineffable
      mysteries, take in thine arms Christ, the Word become a babe, of Whom
      thou wast informed of old by the Holy Spirit, and cry out to Him: All
      things are filled with Thy praise!

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      O Symeon, rejoicing take up Christ, the little Child, on Whom thou
      hast set thy hope, the Consolation of the Israel of God, the Creator
      and Master of the law, Who fulfilleth the order of the law; and cry
      aloud unto Him: All things are filled with Thy praise!

      Beholding the unoriginate Word borne as a babe in the flesh by the
      Virgin as on the throne of the cherubim, the Author of all, Symeon
      marveled and cried out to Him: All things are filled with Thy praise!

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 4: Having learned the joyful
      proclamation of the Resurrection from the angel, / and having cast off
      the ancestral condemnation, / the women disciples of the Lord / spake
      to the Apostles exultantly: / Death is despoiled / and Christ God is
      risen, // granting to the world great mercy.

      Festal Troparion, Tone 1: Rejoice, thou who art full of grace, O
      Virgin Theotokos, / for from thee hath risen the Sun of Righteousness,
      Christ our God, / enlightening those in darkness. / Rejoice, thou
      also, O righteous Elder, / as thou receivest in thine arms the
      Redeemer of our souls, // Who also granteth unto us the Resurrection.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of St. Isidore, Tone 8: In thee, O father, that which is
      fashioned according to the image of God was preserved, / for, having
      taken up thy cross, thou didst follow after Christ, / and by thine
      example didst teach that the flesh is to be disdained as transitory, /
      but that the soul must be cared for as a thing immortal. //
      Wherefore, thy spirit doth rejoice with the angels, O venerable

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 4: My Savior and Redeemer / hath, as
      God, raised up the earthborn from the grave and from their fetters, /
      and He hath broken the gates of hades, / and, as Master, // hath risen
      on the third day.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Kontakion of St. Isidore, Tone 4: The Church, finding thee to be
      another morning-star, / O all-glorious one, / crieth out to thee, /
      llumined by the lightning-flashes of thy words: // Rejoice, O most
      blessed and divinely wise Isidore!

      Both now...

      Festal Kontakion, Tone 1: Thou Who didst sanctify the Virgin’s womb
      by Thy birth, / and didst bless Symeon’s hands as was meet, / by
      anticipation didst even now save us, O Christ God. / But grant peace
      in the midst of wars unto Thy commonwealth, /
      and strengthen Orthodox Christians // whom Thou hast loved, O only
      Lover of mankind.

      Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 4th Tone: How magnified are Thy works O
      Lord! In wisdom hast Thou made them all.
      Choir: How magnified are Thy works O Lord! In wisdom hast Thou made them all.
      Reader: Bless the Lord, O my soul; O Lord my God, Thou hast been
      magnified exceedingly.
      Choir: How magnified are Thy works O Lord! In wisdom hast Thou made them all.
      Reader: In the 3rd Tone: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my
      spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior.
      Choir: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in
      God my Savior.

      Reader: The Reading is from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul
      to the Timothy.

      [1 Timothy 4:9-15, §285 from the midpoint]: Timothy, my son: This is
      a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation. * For therefore we
      both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God,
      who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe. *
      These things command and teach. * Let no man despise thy youth; but be
      thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in
      charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. * Till I come, give
      attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. * Neglect not the
      gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the
      laying on of the hands of the presbytery. * Meditate upon these
      things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 4th Tone: Bend Thy bow, and proceed
      prosperously, and be king, because of truth and meekness and
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Thou hast loved righteousness and hated iniquity.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 8th Tone: Now lettest Thou Thy servant depart in
      peace, O Master, according to Thy word.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

      [Luke 19:1-10, §94]: At that time, Jesus entered and passed through
      Jericho. * And, behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus, which was the
      chief among the publicans, and he was rich. * And he sought to see
      Jesus who he was; and could not for the press, because he was little
      of stature. * And he ran before, and climbed up into a sycomore tree
      to see him: for he was to pass that way. * And when Jesus came to the
      place, he looked up, and saw him, and said unto him, Zacchaeus, make
      haste, and come down; for to day I must abide at thy house. * And he
      made haste, and came down, and received him joyfully. * And when they
      saw it, they all murmured, saying, That he was gone to be guest with a
      man that is a sinner. * And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord:
      Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have
      taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him
      fourfold. * And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to
      this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham. * For the Son of
      man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

      Instead of “It is truly meet…” we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of
      the Canon of the feast, Third Tone (Melody: Say unto the nations that
      the Lord is King...)

      Refrain: O Virgin Theotokos, thou hope of Christians: // Do thou
      protect, preserve, and save those that hope in thee.

      Irmos: In the shadow and the letter of the Law, / let us, the
      faithful, discern a figure: / every male child that openeth the womb /
      shall be sanctified unto God. / Therefore do we magnify the firstborn
      Word and Son of the Father without beginning, / the firstborn Child of
      a Mother // who hath not known a man.

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! I will
      take the cup of salvation, and I will call upon the name of the Lord.
      Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!