Can a Grandmother be a sponsor?

  • Seraphim Holland
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2013
      Can a Grandmother be a sponsor? I should know this, but I always get
      confused, and do not know how to easily look it up. Essentially, the
      question is - can someone related by blood be a God parent? I suppose
      brothers and sisters would be excluded, but it seems to me that a
      Grandparent could, since their progeny would never marry the progeny of the
      child in any case.
      Does anyone know of a cogent essay explaining this?
      --
      Priest Seraphim Holland
      seraphim@... Cell:972 658-5433 Home:972 529-2754

    • polychrony
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 20, 2013
        The rule that I am familiar with is that Godparents cannot be related in the 3rd degree or less. A godmother is related to her godchild in the 2nd degree.

        Polychronios