Re: [ustav] Pod tvoyu milost

  • Philip Sokolov
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2013
      Dn. Sergius Miller wrote:

      > The two are the same text diffrently rendered. Pod tvoyu milost is the
      > Old Rite text -- as can be seen in their Prayerbook. The other is the
      > New Rite text. The O.R. text was apparently so popular that in many
      > places in non festal seasons it was sung after the evening service,
      > including the Vigil on Sat. evening. I suspect it is there for such
      > use OR in some places the N.R. version never made it into the service.

      Father, I am aware of these factors, but it doesn't answer my question
      of whether you have ever heard a choir change melodies at the end of the
      Lenten Troparia in order to sing "Beneath Thy Compassion" according to
      the familiar melody. Does the question even make sense, or should I post
      a score to it's clear what I'm talking about?

      --Philip
    • S. Miller
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2013
        Yes, Philip, here at St. Nicholas Cathedral in the time of Serge Boldireff as director. He substituted the old text and melody for the new in Slavonic. Afterr he left the new rite text and chant were used in English.

        dnS.