Old Calendar Choir Cues: 36 Pentecost, 28 January/10 February 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2013
      For this day, the St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar specifies a
      Vigil-rank service for the holy New martyrs and Confessors of Russia
      (§1E in the Order of Divine Services).

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please send them to me as soon as possible at
      woolfolk3@..., so that corrected versions may be distributed in
      a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from
      other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and
      Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number. A
      reminder: The Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for
      chanting according to the book put together by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      28 January/10 February 2013

      36th SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST, Tone 3

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday: 2 Corinthians 6:16-7:1 (§182)
      For the New Martyrs: Romans 8:28-39 (§99)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday: Matthew 15:21-28 (§62)
      For the New Martyrs: Luke 21:12-19 (§106)

      Holy New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia (Vigil-rank service).
      Venerable Ephraim the Syrian (Six-Stichera-rank service). Venerable
      Palladius the Hermit of Antioch. Venerable Isaac the Syrian, Bishop
      of Nineveh. Venerable Ephraim of the Kiev Caves, Bishop of
      Pereyaslavl. Venerable Ephraim, Abbot and wonder-worker of
      Novotorzhok. Venerable Theodosius, Abbot of Totma. New-Hieromartyr
      Ignatius, Bishop of Skopin.

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Troparion the New Martyrs
      Kontakion of the New Martyrs

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Troparion of the New Martyrs
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      The Beatitudes: 10: 6 from the Octoechos, 4 from Ode 3 of the Canon
      of the New Martyrs

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      From paradise didst Thou drive our forefather Adam, who had broken Thy
      commandment, O Christ; but, O Compassionate One, Thou didst cause to
      dwell therein the thief who confessed Thee on the cross, crying out:
      Remember me, O Savior, in Thy kingdom!

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      With the curse of death didst Thou condemn us who had sinned, O Lord,
      Bestower of life; yet having suffered in Thy flesh, O sinless Master,
      Thou hast granted life unto mortals who cry out: Remember us also in
      Thy kingdom!

      In rising from the dead, Thou hast raised us up from the passions with
      Thyself through Thy resurrection, O Lord; and all the power of death
      hast Thou destroyed, O Savior. Wherefore, with faith we cry out to
      Thee: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      O Thou who as God grantest life, by Thy three days in the tomb Thou
      didst raise up with Thyself the dead in hell, and as One Who is good
      Thou hast poured forth incorruption upon all of us who with faith ever
      cry out: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Risen from the dead, O Savior, Thou didst first appear to the
      myrrh-bearing women, crying out: “Rejoice!” and through them Thou
      didst announce Thy resurrection to Thy friends, O Christ. Wherefore,
      with faith we cry out to Thee, Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Moses, stretching out his arms on the mountain, prefigured the Cross
      and thus conquered Amelek. And, receiving it with faith as a mighty
      weapon against the demons, we all cry out: Remember us also in Thy
      kingdom!

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Remember, O Lord, the dreadful torments which the new passion-bearers
      suffered for Thee, who have now sprouted forth from our race; and
      accept their entreaties for our salvation.

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      O righteous Judge, Thou hast opened the kingdom of heaven unto the
      confessors of the Church of Russia. Hearken, O Lord, unto their
      righteousness, and give ear unto their supplication for the salvation
      of our souls.

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      O most divine Trinity, return us from our captivity! We know that sin
      hath increased in our land more than ever before; yet grace also hath
      shone forth in the struggle of the new saints, who also entreat Thee,
      O thrice-holy God, for the salvation of our souls.

      Gather the dispersed; raise up the faint-hearted; call them that have
      renounced the holy Faith and convert them, O gracious and all-pure
      Virgin Mary, entreating Christ the Savior, with the holy new martyrs
      and confessors, for the forgiveness and salvation of our souls.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 3: Let the heavens be glad, / let
      earthly things rejoice; / for the Lord hath wrought might with His
      arm, / He hath trampled down death by death; / the firstborn of the
      dead hath He become. / From the belly of hades / hath He delivered us,
      // and hath granted to the world great mercy.

      Troparion of the New Martyrs, Tone 4: O ye holy hierarchs, royal
      passion-bearers and pastors, / monks and laymen, men, women and
      children, / ye countless new-martyrs, confessors, / blossoms of the
      spiritual meadow of Russia, / who blossomed forth wondrously in time
      of grievous persecutions / bearing good fruit for Christ in your
      endurance: / Entreat Him, as the One that planted you, / that He
      deliver His people from godless and evil men, / and that the Church of
      Russia / be made steadfast through your blood and suffering, // unto
      the salvation of our souls.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 3: Thou didst rise today from the
      tomb, O Merciful One, / and didst lead us out of the gates of death. /
      Today Adam danceth and Eve rejoiceth; / and together with them both,
      the Prophets and the Patriarchs // unceasingly praise the divine might
      of Thine authority.

      Glory…

      Kontakion of the New Martyrs, Tone 2: O ye new passion-bearers of
      Russia, / who have with your confession finished the course of this
      earth, / receiving boldness through your sufferings: / Beseech Christ
      Who strengthened you, / that we also, whenever the hour of trial find
      us / may receive the gift of courage from God. / For ye are a witness
      to us who venerate your struggle, / that neither tribulation, prison,
      nor death // can separate us from the love of God.

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 3rd Tone: O chant unto our God, chant
      ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Reader: Clap your hands, all ye nations; shout unto God with a voice
      of rejoicing.
      Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Reader: In the 7th Tone: For Thy sake, O Lord, we are slain all the day long.
      Choir: For Thy sake, O Lord, we are slain all the day long.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Second Epistle of the Holy Apostle
      Paul to the Corinthians.

      [2 Corinthians 6:16-7:1, §182]: Brethren: What agreement hath the
      temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as
      God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be
      their God, and they shall be my people. * Wherefore come out from
      among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the
      unclean thing; and I will receive you. * And will be a Father unto
      you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty. *
      Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse
      ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting
      holiness in the fear of God.

      [Romans 8:28-39, §99]: Brethren: We know that all things work
      together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called
      according to his purpose. * For whom he did foreknow, he also did
      predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be
      the firstborn among many brethren. * Moreover whom he did
      predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also
      justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. * What shall
      we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
      * He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how
      shall he not with him also freely give us all things? * Who shall lay
      any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. *
      Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is
      risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh
      intercession for us. * Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?
      shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or
      nakedness, or peril, or sword? * As it is written, For thy sake we are
      killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
      * Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him
      that loved us. * For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor
      angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things
      to come, * Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be
      able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our
      Lord.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Alleluia in the 3rd Tone: In Thee, O Lord, have I hoped, let me not be
      put to shame in the age to come.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Be Thou unto me a God to defend me and a house of refuge to save me.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 4th Tone: The righteous cried, and the Lord heard them,
      and He delivered them out of all their tribulations

      [Matthew 15:21-28, §62]: At that time, Jesus departed into the coasts
      of Tyre and Sidon. * And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the
      same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord,
      thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil. * But
      he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him,
      saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us. * But he answered and
      said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. *
      Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me. * But he
      answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to
      cast it to dogs. * And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the
      crumbs which fall from their masters' table. * Then Jesus answered and
      said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as
      thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

      [Luke 21:12-19, §106]: The Lord said to His disciples: They shall
      lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the
      synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers
      for my name's sake. * And it shall turn to you for a testimony. *
      Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye
      shall answer: * For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your
      adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist. * And ye shall be
      betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends;
      and some of you shall they cause to be put to death. * And ye shall be
      hated of all men for my name's sake. * But there shall not an hair of
      your head perish. * In your patience possess ye your souls.

      DOSTOINIK

      It is truly meet to bless thee, O Theotokos...

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! Rejoice
      in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright.
      Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!