Old Calendar Choir Cues: 35 Pentecost, 21 January/3 February 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2013
      For this day, the St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar specifies a
      double service for St. Maximus the Confessor and Martyr Neophytus (§1B
      in the Order of Divine Services).

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please send them to me as soon as possible at
      woolfolk3@..., so that corrected versions may be distributed in
      a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from
      other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and
      Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number. A
      reminder: The Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for
      chanting according to the book put together by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      21 January/3 February 2013

      35th SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST, Tone 2

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday: 1 Timothy 1:15-17 (§280, from the midpoint)
      For St. Maximus: Hebrews 11:33-12:2 (§330)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday: Luke 18:35-43 (§93)
      For St. Maximus: Luke 12:8-12 (§64)

      Venerable Maximus the Confessor. Martyr Neophytus of Nicaea. Martyrs
      Eugene, Candidus, Valerian and Aquila. Virgin-Martyr Agnes of Rome.
      Martyr Anastasius, disciple of Venerable Maximus the Confessor.
      Venerable Neophytus of Vatopedi. Venerable Maximus the Greek.
      "Consolation" or "Otrada" Icon of the Mother of God at Vatopedi
      Monastery on Mount Athos.

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Troparion the Martyr
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Troparion of St. Maximus
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      The Beatitudes: 8 from the Octoechos,

      Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
      Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for

      We offer Thee the cry of the thief, and we pray: Remember us in Thy
      kingdom, O Savior.

      For the forgiveness of transgressions we offer unto Thee the Cross
      which Thou didst accept for our sake, O Thou who lovest mankind.

      3. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      We bow down in worship, O Master, before Thy burial and rising,
      whereby Thou hast delivered the world from corruption, O Thou Who
      lovest mankind.

      4. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      By Thy death hath death been slain, O Lord, and by Thy resurrection
      hast Thou saved the world, O Savior.

      5. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Risen from the tomb, Thou didst meet the myrrh-bearing women; and Thou
      didst tell Thy disciples to announce Thine arising.

      6. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      Those who slept in darkness, beholding Thee, the Light, in the
      nethermost parts of hades, O Christ, were raised from the dead.

      7. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Let us glorify the Father; let us all worship the Son, and let us hymn
      the Holy Spirit with faith.

      Rejoice, fiery throne! Rejoice, bride unwedded! Rejoice, O Virgin
      who for men gavest birth unto God!

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 2: When Thou didst descend unto death,
      O Life Immortal, / then didst Thou slay hades with the lightning of
      Thy Divinity. / And when Thou didst also raise the dead out of the
      nethermost depths, / all the Hosts of the Heavens cried out: // O
      Life-Giver Christ our God, glory be to Thee!

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of St. Maximus, Tone 8: O instructor of Orthodoxy, teacher
      of piety and purity, / beacon of all the world, divinely inspired
      adornment of monastics: / O all-wise Maximus, by thy doctrines thou
      hast enlightened all. // O harp of the Spirit, entreat Christ God,
      that our souls be saved.

      Troparion of St. Neophytus, Tone 4: In his sufferings, O Lord, / Thy
      martyr Neophytus received an imperishable crown from Thee, our God; /
      for, possessed of Thy might, / he set at naught the tormentors and
      crushed the feeble audacity of the demons. // By his supplications
      save Thou our souls.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 2: Thou didst rise from the tomb, O
      Omnipotent Savior, / and hades was terrified on beholding the wonder.
      / And the dead arose, and creation at the sight thereof rejoiceth with
      Thee, / and Adam also is joyful, / and the world, O my Savior, //
      praiseth Thee forever.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Glory…

      Kontakion of St. Maximus, Tone 6: The thrice-radiant light which abode
      in thy soul / showed thee forth as a chosen vessel, O most blessed
      one, / revealing things divine to the ends of the earth. / O blessed
      Maximus, recount understanding of things hard to comprehend / and
      manifestly preach to all // the transcendent and unoriginate Trinity!

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 2nd Tone: The Lord is my strength and
      my song, and He is become my salvation.
      Choir: The Lord is my strength and my song, and He is become my salvation.
      Reader: With chastisement hath the Lord chastened me, but He hath not
      given me over unto death.
      Choir: The Lord is my strength and my song, and He is become my salvation.
      Reader: In the 4th Tone: In the saints that are in His earth hath the
      Lord been wondrous; He hath wrought all His desires in them.
      Choir: In the saints that are in His earth hath the Lord been
      wondrous; He hath wrought all His desires in them.

      Reader: The Reading is from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul
      to Timothy.

      [I Timothy 1:15-17, §280 from the midpoint]: Timothy, my son: This
      is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus
      came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. * Howbeit for
      this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew
      forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter
      believe on him to life everlasting. * Now unto the King eternal,
      immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever
      and ever. Amen.

      [Hebrews 11:33-12:2, §330]: Brethren: All the saints through faith
      subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped
      the mouths of lions, * Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge
      of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in
      fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens. * Women received
      their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not
      accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection: *
      And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover
      of bonds and imprisonment: * They were stoned, they were sawn asunder,
      were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in
      sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; *
      (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in
      mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth. * And these all, having
      obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: * God
      having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should
      not be made perfect. * Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about
      with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and
      the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience
      the race that is set before us, * Looking unto Jesus the author and
      finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured
      the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of
      the throne of God.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 2nd Tone: The Lord hear thee in the day of
      affliction; the name of the God of Jacob defend thee.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: O Lord, save the king, and hearken unto us in the day when we
      call upon Thee.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 4th Tone: The righteous cried, and the Lord heard
      them, and He delivered them out of all their tribulations.

      [Luke 18:35-43, §93]: At that time, as Jesus was come nigh unto
      Jericho, a certain blind man sat by the way side begging: * And
      hearing the multitude pass by, he asked what it meant. * And they told
      him, that Jesus of Nazareth passeth by. * And he cried, saying, Jesus,
      thou son of David, have mercy on me. * And they which went before
      rebuked him, that he should hold his peace: but he cried so much the
      more, Thou son of David, have mercy on me. * And Jesus stood, and
      commanded him to be brought unto him: and when he was come near, he
      asked him, * Saying, What wilt thou that I shall do unto thee? And he
      said, Lord, that I may receive my sight. * And Jesus said unto him,
      Receive thy sight: thy faith hath saved thee. * And immediately he
      received his sight, and followed him, glorifying God: and all the
      people, when they saw it, gave praise unto God.

      [Luke 12:8-12, §64]: The Lord said to His disciples: Whosoever shall
      confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before
      the angels of God: * But he that denieth me before men shall be denied
      before the angels of God. * And whosoever shall speak a word against
      the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that
      blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven. * And
      when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and
      powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what
      ye shall say: * For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour
      what ye ought to say.

      DOSTOINIK

      It is truly meet to bless thee, O Theotokos...

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! Rejoice
      in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright.
      Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!