Candle

  • sgcb1939
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 14, 2013
      I would like to know the different practices, especially Russian usage,
      of the correct time to place a candle on its candle stand before the
      Royal doors.  I have seen some churches place the candle after the
      priest's blessing after the Our Father.  Other churches do it any
      time after the Symbol of Faith.  Thank you.

    • James
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 14, 2013
        My OCA parish places the candle before the Holy Doors right after "Holy things for the holy" The candle is taken away just before the curtain is opened for the people's communion.
        Rdr. James Morgan

        --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "sgcb1939" wrote:

        > I would like to know the different practices, especially Russian usage,
        > of the correct time to place a candle on its candle stand before the
        > Royal doors.  I have seen some churches place the candle after the
        > priest's blessing after the Our Father.  Other churches do it any
        > time after the Symbol of Faith.  Thank you.

      • James Silver
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 14, 2013
          In my very russian-flavored experience, a tall candlestick with a single
          lighted candle is placed in front of the holy doors -- now closed for the
          communion of the clergy -- as the choir sings 'One is holy....'

          The candle is set there to signal the congregation that they should begin to
          arrange themselves in proper order to receive Holy Communion.

          Monk James

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 15, 2013
            My experience matches that of our esteemed Jameses - Reader and Father.

            We place the candle before the Holy Doors at "Holy Things for the holy". Our solea is such that any earlier placing of the candle would mean that, should we have a deacon serve, the candle would be in his way for the Litany before the Our Father.

            There are various customs surrounding the candle, though.

            On one occasion, while visiting another parish, I was interested to see a server come out at "Holy Things...", with a hand-held candle. He then stood before the Holy Doors until they were opened, at which point he returned to the altar.

            My parish has adopted the custom found at our cathedral, which I like very much but which I have never seen elsewhere, (apart from when I have been visiting another parish in the diocese and, as the lone server, have simply done the same as I do at my own parish).

            We keep the candle with the Gifts to honour and to signal to the people the presence of the Holy Things. When the Holy Doors are opened for the people's Communion, the candle is not extinguished but is simply moved aside (still alight) to before the icon of the Saviour, and remains there throughout the people's Communion. When all have been communicated, the candle is taken back into the altar and either held or put to stand (depending on the number of servers) to the south side of the Holy Table, where it remains during the priest's reading of the Resurrection hymns and the singing of " We have seen the True Light". After the censing, it is taken, with the censer, to the Oblations Table. Once the remaining Gifts have been placed there and censed, the candle is placed before them, where it remains alight until after they have been consumed and the ablutions completed.

            Has anybody else seen this done? It is only a little thing but I like it.

            Michael