January 13 (SJKP Menaion)

  • Philip Sokolov
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 11, 2013
      In the "provisional" SJKP January Menaion
      p. 245 - "Lord, I have cried..." of January 13
      Now and ever..., the composition of John the monk, in the Tone VIII--

      Instead of "The hand of the Baptist trembled..." I believe it should be:

      "Desiring to fulfill that which Thou hast established from before time,
      O Lord, Thou didst accept ministers of Thy mystery from among all
      creatures: Gabriel from among the angels, the Virgin from among men, the
      star from among the heavens, and the Jordan from among the waters,
      wherein Thou didst destroy the iniquity of the world. O our Savior,
      glory be to Thee!" (from p. 121 - Litia of January 6)

      Right?

      --Philip Sokolov
    • kyril@mynachdysantelias.fsnet.co.uk
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2013
        The text you cite is what appears in the Slavonic texts that I have access to. Greek text appears to be different yet again, using the Festal Lity verse on "Both now" rather than on "Glory".

        Additionally I note that the verse "The hand of the Baptist trembled ..." at Lity is in Tone 4 and not Tone 8.

        Archimandrite Kyril Jenner

        > Message Received: Jan 11 2013, 08:30 PM
        > From: "Philip Sokolov"
        > To: ustav@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [ustav] January 13 (SJKP Menaion)
        >
        > In the "provisional" SJKP January Menaion
        > p. 245 - "Lord, I have cried..." of January 13
        > Now and ever..., the composition of John the monk, in the Tone VIII--
        >
        > Instead of "The hand of the Baptist trembled..." I believe it should be:
        >
        > "Desiring to fulfill that which Thou hast established from before time,
        > O Lord, Thou didst accept ministers of Thy mystery from among all
        > creatures: Gabriel from among the angels, the Virgin from among men, the
        > star from among the heavens, and the Jordan from among the waters,
        > wherein Thou didst destroy the iniquity of the world. O our Savior,
        > glory be to Thee!" (from p. 121 - Litia of January 6)
        >
        > Right?
        >
        > --Philip Sokolov

      • Philip Sokolov
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 11, 2013
          Dear Fr. Kyril,

          > Additionally I note that the verse "The hand of the Baptist trembled
          > ..." at Lity is in Tone 4 and not Tone 8.

          That's what tipped me off!

          Thanks for your help.

          In Christ,
          Philip