Re: [ustav] Re: Akathist to St. John by Fr. Seraphim (Rose) formally approved by the Russian Church

  • Silouan Philip THompson
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2012
      On 12/29/12 11:59 AM, jsbaglien wrote:
      > The akathist to St. John has 7 lines per ode.
      >
      > Can anyone on the list suggest a suitable melody (or melodies) that will fit this number?

      Father, bless!

      We've been singing it to the usual Akathist melody; at the last line of
      text, we skip to the final line of the melody as well. We do the same
      when we sing the Akathist of thanksgiving "Glory to God for All Things"
      which also has an odd number of lines.

      So I was glad to see the note from Fr Sergii Alekseev in another thread
      (Ustav message #25794) where he indicated we weren't out of line doing
      it that way:
      > I had a similar question, applicable to akathist to Holy Hierarch John of
      > Shanghai. The answer was given by a high-standing apparatchik of the
      > musical
      > commission of the synod to the efect that no matter how many verses
      > are there
      > you leave the things as they are and still end the ikos with the usual
      > final
      > melodical phrase, even if it is our of synch.

      In Christ,
      Deacon Silouan