Old Calendar Choir Cues: 28 Pentecost, 3/26 December 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2012
      Just a note to ask for prayers for two servants of God who were dear
      to my heart: Archimandrite Joasaph (McLellan), who reposed on 18
      December 2009, and Martha Hays, who reposed on 20 December 2010.
      Martha cam to Holy Orthodoxy in part through Father Joasaph.

      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a simple service
      for the Prophet Zephaniah (§1A in the Order of Divine Services).

      If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel
      are now a standard feature, indicated by the sign § and the
      appropriate number. A reminder: The Resurrectional Troparion and
      Kontakion are pointed for chanting according to the book put together
      by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford for the materials on his website
      (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort
      without his help.

      3/16 December 2012

      TWENTY-EIGHTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST -- Tone 3

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday:: Colossians 1:12-18 (§250)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday: Luke 18:18-27 (§91)

      Twenty-Eighth Sunday after Pentecost. Holy Prophet Zephaniah
      (Sophonias). Venerable Theodulus of Constantinople. Venerable John
      the Silent of St. Sabbas Monastery, Bishop of Colonia. Hieromartyr
      Theodore, Archbishop of Alexandria. Hieromartyr Gabriel, Bishop of
      Ganos. Venerable Sabbas of Zvenigorod (Doxology-rank service).
      Martyr Angelus of Chios. Icon of the Mother of God "Pakhromskaya."

      HOURS

      At all Hours:

      Troparion of the Prophet
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes): 8 Troparia from the Octoechos

      Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
      Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for

      From paradise didst Thou drive our forefather Adam, who had broken Thy
      commandment, O Christ; but, O Compassionate One, Thou didst cause to
      dwell therein the thief who confessed Thee on the cross, crying out:
      Remember me, O Savior, in Thy kingdom!

      With the curse of death didst Thou condemn us who had sinned, O Lord,
      Bestower of life; yet having suffered in Thy flesh, O sinless Master,
      Thou hast granted life unto mortals who cry out: Remember us also in
      Thy kingdom!

      3. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      In rising from the dead, Thou hast raised us up from the passions with
      Thyself through Thy resurrection, O Lord; and all the power of death
      hast Thou destroyed, O Savior. Wherefore, with faith we cry out to
      Thee: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      4. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      O Thou who as God grantest life, by Thy three days in the tomb Thou
      didst raise up with Thyself the dead in hell, and as One Who is good
      Thou hast poured forth incorruption upon all of us who with faith ever
      cry out: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      5. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Risen from the dead, O Savior, Thou didst first appear to the
      myrrh-bearing women, crying out: “Rejoice!” and through them Thou
      didst announce Thy resurrection to Thy friends, O Christ. Wherefore,
      with faith we cry out to Thee, Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      6. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      Moses, stretching out his arms on the mountain, prefigured the Cross
      and thus conquered Amalek. And, receiving it with faith as a mighty
      weapon against the demons, we all cry out: Remember us also in Thy
      kingdom!

      7. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      O ye faithful, let us hymn the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, the one
      God, the one Lord, as from a single Sun; for the Trinity is
      thrice-luminous and enlighteneth all who cry out: Remember us also in
      Thy kingdom!

      Rejoice, O portal of God, through which the incarnate Creator passed
      without breaking thy seal! Rejoice, thou light cloud which bore
      Christ, the divine Rain! Rejoice, ladder and throne of heaven!
      Rejoice, honored mountain of God, fruitful and unquarried!

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 3: Let the heavens be glad, / let
      earthly things rejoice; / for the Lord hath wrought might with His
      arm, / He hath trampled down death by death; / the firstborn of the
      dead hath He become. / From the belly of hades / hath He delivered us,
      // and hath granted to the world great mercy.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of the Prophet, Tone 2: Celebrating the memory of Thy
      prophet Zephaniah, O Lord, // through him do we entreat Thee: Save
      Thou our souls!

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 3: Thou didst rise today from the
      tomb, O Merciful One, / and didst lead us out of the gates of death. /
      Today Adam danceth and Eve rejoiceth; / and together with them both,
      the Prophets and the Patriarchs // unceasingly praise the divine might
      of Thine authority.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Kontakion of the Prophet, Tone 4: Thou wast shown to be brilliant by
      the divine Spirit, O prophet Zephaniah, / proclaiming the coming of
      God: / Rejoice exceedingly, O daughter of Zion! / Proclaim Him, O
      Jerusalem! // Behold, thy King cometh to save mankind!

      Both now... Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 3rd Tone: O chant unto our God, chant
      ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Reader: Clap your hands, all ye nations; shout unto God with a voice
      of rejoicing.
      Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Reader: O chant unto our God, chant ye
      Choir: Chant unto our King, chant ye.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to
      the Colossians.

      [Colossians 1:12-18, §250]: Brethren: Giving thanks unto the Father,
      which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the
      saints in light: * Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness,
      and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: * In whom we
      have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: * Who
      is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: *
      For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are
      in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or
      dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by
      him, and for him: * And he is before all things, and by him all things
      consist. * And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the
      beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might
      have the preeminence.

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 3rd Tone.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In Thee, O Lord, have I hoped, let me not be put to shame in
      the age to come.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Be Thou unto me a God to defend me and a house of refuge to save me.

      [Luke 18:18-27, §91]: At that time, a certain ruler asked him,
      saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? * And
      Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one,
      that is, God. * Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery,
      Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor thy father
      and thy mother. * And he said, All these have I kept from my youth
      up. * Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest
      thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor,
      and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. * And
      when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich. * And
      when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall
      they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God! * For it is
      easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man
      to enter into the kingdom of God. * And they that heard it said, Who
      then can be saved? * And he said, The things which are impossible with
      men are possible with God.

      DOSTOINIK

      It is truly meet to bless thee, O Theotokos...

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest!
      Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!