Old Calendar Choir Cues: 27 Pentecost, 26 November/9 December 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2012
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a
      Six-stichera-rank service for St. Innocent of Irkutsk (§1C in the
      Order of Divine Services - GIVEN HERE). Or, if the rector so direct,
      a simple Service to Venerable Alypius the Stylite (ODS §1A - NOT GIVEN
      HERE). In this latter case, please consult with your rector for
      specific rubrics.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel
      are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number. A reminder:
      The Resurrectional Troparion and
      Kontakion are pointed for chanting according to the book put together
      by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford for the materials on his website
      (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort
      without his help.

      26 November/9 December 2012

      TWENTY-SEVENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST -- Tone 2

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday: Ephesians 6:10-17 (§233)
      For the Saint: Hebrews 7:26-8:2 (§318)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday: Luke 13:10-17 (§71)
      For the Saint:John 10:9-16 (§36)

      Twenty-Seventh Sunday after Pentecost. Venerable Alypious, stylite of
      Adrianopolis. Venerable James, hermit of Syria. St. Acacius,
      Patriarch of Constantinople. Venerable Nikon the preacher of
      repentance of Armenia. St. Innocent, first Bishop of Irkutsk.
      Consecration of the Church of the Great Martyr George at Kiev. Martyr
      George of Chios. New Monk-martyr Tikhon (Buzov). Hieromartyrs Basil
      Agathonnikov, Basil Kolosov, Basil Studnitsin, George Kolokolov,
      Daniel; Meschaninov, Elias Zachateiskii, John Vinogradov, and Nicholas
      Postnikov, at Butovo.

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Troparion of St. Innocent
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Troparion of St. Innocent
      Kontakion of St. Innocent

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes): 10 Troparia: 6 from the Octoechos, 4 from
      Ode 3 of the Canon of St. Innocent

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      We offer Thee the cry of the thief, and we pray: Remember us in Thy
      kingdom, O Savior.

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      For the forgiveness of transgressions we offer unto Thee the Cross
      which Thou didst accept for our sake, O Thou who lovest mankind.

      We bow down in worship, O Master, before Thy burial and rising,
      whereby Thou hast delivered the world from corruption, O Thou Who
      lovest mankind.

      By Thy death hath death been slain, O Lord, and by Thy resurrection
      hast Thou saved the world, O Savior.

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Risen from the tomb, Thou didst meet the myrrh-bearing women; and Thou
      didst tell Thy disciples to announce Thine arising.

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Those who slept in darkness, beholding Thee, the Light, in the
      nethermost parts of hades, O Christ, were raised from the dead.

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Thou didst show forth a second unburnt bush, O noetic shepherd, when,
      by thy supplications, thou didst preserve unharmed in the midst of the
      flame the holy church wherein rested thine incorrupt body, which was
      not yet glorified on earth, but the sanctity
      whereof was clearly attested by an abundance of wonders from heaven.

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      Thou hast shown thyself to be accessible to the faith alone.
      Wherefore, contrary to the laws of nature, ice and snow hid thy purity
      from the eyes of the ungodly, who dared, in their unbelief, to attempt
      to look upon thee; and thou didst not grant them to behold thy glory,
      teaching us to glorify thee with a pure heart.

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Speedily didst thou hasten to help the old man who saw with
      difficulty; and, touching his afflicted head, thou didst make manifest
      upon him an act of God. Wherefore, illumine also our spiritual eyes
      through thy supplications, O high priest.

      We know thee to be a firm and steadfast hope, O Theotokos, which we
      hold fast; and, trusting therein, we pray: Preserve this city and all
      Christian cities and lands from all the misfortunes which befall
      sinful men, who nevertheless straightway receive remission of their
      offenses through thine intercessions.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 2: When Thou didst descend unto death,
      O Life Immortal, / then didst Thou slay hades with the lightning of
      Thy Divinity. / And when Thou didst also raise the dead out of the
      nethermost depths, / all the Hosts of the Heavens cried out: // O
      Life-Giver Christ our God, glory be to Thee!

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of St. Innocent, Tone 3: O most radiant beacon of the
      Church, / who hast illumined the Russian land / with the rays of thy
      good works, / and hast glorified God by many healings / of those who
      have recourse to thy reliquary with faith, / O holy hierarch Innocent,
      our father, / we entreat thee: // protect this land from all
      misfortune and grief.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 2: Thou didst rise from the tomb, O
      Omnipotent Savior, / and hades was terrified on beholding the wonder.
      / And the dead arose, and creation at the sight thereof rejoiceth with
      Thee, / and Adam also is joyful, / and the world, O my Savior, //
      praiseth Thee forever.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Glory...

      Kontakion of St. Innocent, Glory… Tone 3: O most radiant beacon of
      the Church, / who hast illumined the Russian land / with the rays of
      thy good works, / and hast glorified God by many healings / of those
      who have recourse to thy reliquary with faith, / O holy hierarch
      Innocent, our father, / we entreat thee: // protect this land from all
      misfortune and grief.

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 2nd Tone: The Lord is my strength and
      my song, and He is become my salvation.
      Choir: The Lord is my strength and my song, and He is become my salvation.
      Reader: With chastisement hath the Lord chastened me, but He hath not
      given me over unto death.
      Choir: The Lord is my strength and my song, and He is become my salvation.
      Reader: In the 1st Tone: My mouth shall speak wisdom, and the
      meditation of my heart shall be of understanding.
      Choir: My mouth shall speak wisdom, and the meditation of my heart
      shall be of understanding.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to
      the Ephesians.

      [Ephesians 6:10-17, §233]: Brethren: Be strong in the Lord, and in the
      power of his might. * Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be
      able to stand against the wiles of the devil. * For we wrestle not
      against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers,
      against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual
      wickedness in high places. * Wherefore take unto you the whole armor
      of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having
      done all, to stand. * Stand therefore, having your loins girt about
      with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; * And your
      feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; * Above all,
      taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all
      the fiery darts of the wicked. * And take the helmet of salvation, and
      the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

      [Hebrews 7:26-8:2, §318]: Brethren: Such an high priest became us, who
      is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher
      than the heavens; * Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to
      offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's:
      for this he did once, when he offered up himself. * For the law maketh
      men high priests which have infirmity; but the word of the oath, which
      was since the law, maketh the Son, who is consecrated for evermore. *
      Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such
      an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the
      Majesty in the heavens; * A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true
      tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 2nd Tone: The Lord hear thee in the day of
      affliction; the name of the God of Jacob defend thee.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: O Lord, save the king, and hearken unto us in the day when we
      call upon Thee.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 1st Tone: The saints shall boast in glory, and they
      shall rejoice upon their beds.

      [Luke 13:10-17, §71]: At that time, Jesus was teaching in one of the
      synagogues on the Sabbath. * And, behold, there was a woman which had
      a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and
      could in no wise lift up herself. * And when Jesus saw her, he called
      her to him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine
      infirmity. * And he laid his hands on her: and immediately she was
      made straight, and glorified God. * And the ruler of the synagogue
      answered with indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the
      Sabbath day, and said unto the people, There are six days in which men
      ought to work: in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the
      Sabbath day. * The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite,
      doth not each one of you on the Sabbath loose his ox or his ass from
      the stall, and lead him away to watering? * And ought not this woman,
      being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen
      years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath day? * And when he had
      said these things, all his adversaries were ashamed: and all the
      people rejoiced for all the glorious things that were done by him.

      [John 10:9-16, §36]: The Lord said: I am the door: by me if any man
      enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find
      pasture. * The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to
      destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have
      it more abundantly. * I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth
      his life for the sheep. * But he that is an hireling, and not the
      shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and
      leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and
      scattereth the sheep. * The hireling fleeth, because he is an
      hireling, and careth not for the sheep. * I am the good shepherd, and
      know my sheep, and am known of mine. * As the Father knoweth me, even
      so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. * And
      other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must
      bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and
      one shepherd.

      DOSTOINIK

      It is truly meet to bless thee, O Theotokos...

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! In
      everlasting remembrance shall the righteous be; he shall not be afraid
      of evil tidings. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!