Old Calendar Choir Cues: Entry of the Most Holy Theotokos into the Temple, 21 November/4 December 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2012
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Great Feast for
      the Entry of the Theotokos into the Temple.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel
      are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      Reader and Choir Cues

      ENTRY OF THE MOST HOLY THEOTOKOS INTO THE TEMPLE
      21 November/4 December 2012

      Readings:
      Hebrews 9:1-7 (§320)
      Luke 10:38-24; 11:27-28 (§54)

      THE ENTRY OF THE MOST HOLY THEOTOKOS INTO THE TEMPLE. Venerable
      Columbanus, Abbot of Luxeuil Abbey, Gaul. Right-believing Prince
      Yaropolk (Peter in baptism) of Vladimir in Volhynia. New-Hieromartyrs
      Alexander Khotovitskii, Elias Gromoglasov, and Alexis Benemanskii.
      New Monk-martyr Gerasimus (Mochalov) and Hieromartyrs Jacob Sokolov
      and Theodore Gusev at Butovo.

      HOURS

      At all Hours:

      Troparion of the Feast
      Glory... Both now...
      Kontakion of the Feast

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes): 8 Troparia: 4 from Ode 3 of the First
      Canon of the Feast, 4 from Ode 6 of the Second Canon of the Feast

      Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
      Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for

      Receiving the pure and undefiled one, who is more splendid than all
      creation, the animate bridal chamber of God, the beautiful Temple and
      chamber doth today appear as that which adorneth the bride for her
      wedding.

      David, preceding the chorus, doth leap and dance with us, and
      declareth thee, O all-pure one, the queen adorned, who standeth in the
      Temple before our King and God, O most pure one.

      3. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      From her, from whom transgressions went forth among the human race,
      hath her correction and incorruption blossomed forth, the Theotokos,
      who is led today into the house of God.

      4. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      The angelic armies and a multitude of all men leap up for joy, and
      they advance as lamp-bearers before thy countenance, proclaiming thy
      majesty in the house of God.

      5. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      O ye faithful, let us celebrate the spiritual feast of the Mother of
      God, chanting piously; for she is more holy than the heavenly
      intelligences.

      6. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      With spiritual hymns let us praise the Mother of the Light, O ye
      faithful, for she hath appeared to us today, going forth into the
      temple of God.

      7. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      O Father, Son and upright Spirit, Unity in three Hypostases,
      indivisible Trinity: have mercy upon those who worship Thy divine
      might.

      Contained in thy womb, O all-pure Mother of God, He Whom nought could
      contain issued forth from thee in two natures: God and man.

      TROPARION AND KONTAKION OF THE FEAST

      Festal Troparion, Tone 4: Today is the prelude of God's good will /
      and the heralding of the salvation of mankind. / In the temple of God,
      the Virgin is presented openly, / and she proclaimeth Christ unto all.
      / To her, then, with a great voice let us cry aloud: / Rejoice, O thou
      fulfillment // of the Creator's dispensation.

      Glory... Both now...

      Festal Kontakion, Tone 4: The most pure temple of the Savior, / the
      most precious bridal-chamber and Virgin, / the sacred treasury of the
      glory of God, / is on this day brought into the house of the Lord, /
      bringing with her the grace that is in the Divine Spirit. / And the
      angels of God chant praise unto her: // she is the heavenly
      tabernacle.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 3rd Tone: My soul doth magnify the
      Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior.
      Choir: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in
      God my Savior.
      Reader: For He hath looked upon the lowliness of His handmaiden; for
      behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
      Choir: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in
      God my Savior.
      Reader: My soul doth magnify the Lord.
      Choir: And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior,

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Hebrews.

      [Hebrews 9:1-7, §320]: Brethren: Then verily the first covenant had
      also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary./ For there
      was a tabernacle made; the first, wherein was the candlestick, and the
      table, and the shewbread; which is called the sanctuary./ And after
      the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all;/
      Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid
      round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had manna, and
      Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant;/ And over it
      the cherubim of glory shadowing the mercy seat; of which we cannot now
      speak particularly./ Now when these things were thus ordained, the
      priests went always into the first tabernacle, accomplishing the
      service of God./ But into the second went the high priest alone once
      every year, not without blood, which he offered for himself, and for
      the errors of the people.

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 8th Tone.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Hearken, O daughter, and see, and incline thine ear.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: The rich among the people shall entreat thy countenance.

      [Luke 10:38-42; 11:27-28, §54]: At that time, it came to pass, as they
      went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman
      named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called
      Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. But Martha
      was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost
      thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? Bid her
      therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her,
      Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But
      one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall
      not be taken away from her. And it came to pass, as he spake these
      things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said
      unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou
      hast sucked. But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the
      word of God, and keep it.

      ZADOSTOINIK

      Instead of It is truly meet... we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of
      the First Canon of the Feast, Fourth Tone ("Horse and Rider did Christ
      shake off into the Red Sea..."):

      Refrain: The angels beholding the entry of the most pure one / were
      struck with wonder, // seeing how the Virgin entered into the Holy of
      Holies.

      Irmos: Let no profane hand touch the living Ark of God, / but let the
      lips of the faithful, chanting unceasingly / the words of the
      angel to the Theotokos, / cry out with joy: // Truly art thou high
      above all, O pure Virgin.

      COMMUNION VERSE

      I will take the cup of salvation, and I will call upon the name of the
      Lord. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!