Old Calendar Choir Cues: 26 Pentecost, 19 November/2 December 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2012
      My apologies for the lateness of the Cues this week - too much to do
      around here, all of it good! :-)

      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a double service
      for the Prophet Obadiah and St. Barlaam (§1B in the Order of Divine
      Services - GIVEN HERE). Or, if the rector so directs, a Vigil-rank
      service for St. Philaret of Moscow (§1E in the Order of Divine
      Services - NOT GIVEN HERE). In the latter case, please consult your
      rector for directions.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel
      are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number. A reminder:
      The Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for chanting
      according to the book put together
      by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford for the materials on his website
      (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort
      without his help.

      28 November/11 December 2011

      TWENTY-SIXTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST -- Tone 1

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday: Ephesians 5:9-19 (§229)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday: Luke 12:16-21 (§66)

      Twenty-Sixth Sunday after Pentecost. Holy Prophet Obadiah (Abdias) and
      Martyr Barlaam the Antiochian. Martyr Heiodorus of Pamphylia. Martyr
      Azes of Isauria, and with him 150 soldiers. Venerable Barlaam and
      Ioasaph, Prince of India, and King Abennev, his father (Doxology-rank
      service). Venerable Hilarion of Georgia, wonder-worker of
      Thessalonica. Venerable Barlaam, the first abbot of the Kiev Caves.
      Metropolitan Philaret, Metropolitan of Moscow and Kolomna (Vigil-rank
      service). New-Hieromartyr Ioasaph, Bishop of Chistopol. Synaxis of
      the New Hieromartyrs of Crimea: Porphyrius, Bishop of Simferopol;
      Priests Nicholas, Dimitry, Vladimir, John, Timothy; Bartholomew the
      Hieromonk; and Anthony the Hierodeacon. New Monk-Martyrs Xenofont
      (Bondarenko) and Peter (Mamantov), Hieromartyrs Jacob Brilliantov,
      Sergius Makhaev, and Martyr Timothy Kucherov of Butovo. Venerable
      Alexius the Carpatho-Russian.

      HOURS

      At all Hours:

      Troparion of the Martyr Barlaam
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes): 8 Troparia from the Octoechos

      Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
      Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for

      Through food did the enemy lead Adam forth from paradise; but by the
      Cross hath Christ led back to it the thief who cried: Remember me
      when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      With Adam and the thief I worship Thy sufferings and glorify Thy
      resurrection; and I cry out with a splendid voice: Remember me, O
      Lord, when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      3. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      O Sinless One, of Thine own will Thou wast crucified and placed in the
      Tomb, yet Thou didst arise as God, raising up with Thyself Adam who
      crieth out: Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      4. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      4. Raising up the temple of Thy body by Thy resurrection on the third
      day, O Christ God, Thou didst raise up Adam and his descendants who
      cry: Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      5. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Very early, the myrrh-bearing women arrived, weeping, at Thy tomb, O
      Christ God; and they found an angel sitting there, clad in white
      garments, who said: What seek ye? Christ is risen! Lament no longer!

      6. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      When Thine apostles went to the mountain whither Thou hadst commanded
      them to go, and saw Thee, O Savior, they worshipped Thee; and Thou
      didst send them unto the nations, to teach and baptize them.

      7. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Let us worship the Father, let us glorify the Son, and together let us
      hymn the all-holy Spirit, crying out and saying: O most Holy Trinity,
      save us all!

      Thy people bring Thy Mother before Thee to make supplication, O
      Christ. Through her entreaties grant us Thy compassions, O Good One,
      that we may glorify Thee Who hast shone forth upon us from the tomb.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 1: When the stone had been sealed by
      the Jews, / and the soldiers were guarding Thine immaculate Body, /
      Thou didst rise on the third day, O Savior, / granting life unto the
      world. / Wherefore, the hosts of the Heavens cried out to Thee, O
      Life-Giver: / Glory to Thy Resurrection, O Christ! / Glory to Thy
      Kingdom! // Glory to Thy dispensation, O only Lover of mankind!

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of Martyr Barlaam, Tone 4: In his sufferings O Lord, / Thy
      martyr Barlaam hath received an imperishable crown from Thee, our God;
      / for, possessed of Thy might, / he set at nought his tormentors and
      crushed the feeble audacity of the demons. // By his supplications
      save Thou our souls.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 1: As God, Thou didst rise from the
      tomb in glory, / and Thou didst raise the world together with Thyself.
      / And mortal nature praiseth Thee as God, / and death hath vanished. /
      And Adam danceth, O Master, / and Eve, now freed from fetters,
      rejoiceth as she crieth out: / Thou art He, O Christ, // that grantest
      unto all Resurrection.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Glory...

      Kontakion of the Martyr Barlaam, Tone 4: Thou wast shown to be most
      amazing / in the fortitude whereby thou didst endure immolation, / and
      didst offer thyself in sacrifice unto Christ as incense of sweet
      savor. / Having received a crown of honor, O Barlaam, // do thou ever
      pray for us, O athlete.

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 1st Tone: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be
      upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Reader: Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright.
      Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Reader: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us.
      Choir: According as we have hoped in Thee.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to
      the Ephesians.

      [Ephesians 5:9-19, §229]: Brethren: The fruit of the Spirit is in all
      goodness and righteousness and truth;) * Proving what is acceptable
      unto the Lord. * And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of
      darkness, but rather reprove them. * For it is a shame even to speak
      of those things which are done of them in secret. * But all things
      that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth
      make manifest is light. * Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that
      sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. *
      See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, *
      Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. * Wherefore be ye not
      unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. * And be not
      drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; *
      Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,
      singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 1st Tone:
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: O God who givest avengement unto me and hast subdued people under me.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: It is He that magnifieth the salvation of His king and worketh
      mercy for His
      anointed, for David and for His seed unto eternity.

      [Luke 12:16-21, §66]: The Lord spoke this parable: The ground of a
      certain rich man brought forth plentifully: * And he thought within
      himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to
      bestow my fruits? * And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my
      barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my
      goods. * And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up
      for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. * But God
      said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of
      thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided? * So
      is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

      DOSTOINIK

      It is truly meet to bless thee, O Theotokos...

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest!
      Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!