Old Calendar Choir Cues: 24 Pentecost, 5/18 November 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14 8:34 AM
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a simple service
      to the Martyrs Galacteon and his wife, Episteme (§1A in the Order of
      Divine Services - given here). Or, if the rector so directs, a
      Doxology-rank service may be served for St. Jonah, Wonder-worker of
      Novgorod (§1C in the ODS - NOT given here). In the latter case,
      please consult with your rector for the appropriate rubrics.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel
      are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number. A reminder:
      The Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for chanting
      according to the book put together by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford for the materials on his website
      (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort
      without his help.

      5/18 November 2012

      Ephesians 2:14-22 (§221)

      Luke 8:41-56 (§39)

      Twenty-Fourth Sunday after Pentecost. Martyrs Galacteon and his wife,
      Episteme. Holy Apostles of the Seventy Patrobus, Hermas, Linus,
      Gaius, and Philologus. St. Gregory, Archbishop of Alexandria. St.
      Jonah, Archbishop of Novgorod (Doxology-rank service). Martyrs
      Domninus and with him Timothy, Theophilus, Theotimos, Dorotheus the
      Priest, Eupsychius, Carterius, Sylvanus the Bishop, and Pamphylos.

      At all Hours:

      Resurrectional Troparion
      Troparion of the Martyrs
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes): 8 Troparia from the Octoechos,

      Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
      Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for

      The fruit which slew me was beautiful and good to eat; but Christ is
      the Tree of life, and eating of Him I do not die, but cry out with the
      thief: Remember me, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

      O Compassionate One, Who wast lifted up upon the Cross, Thou hast
      erased the record of Adam’s ancient sin, and hast saved the whole
      human race from deception. Wherefore, we hymn Thee, O Lord and

      3. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Thou didst nail our sins to the Cross, O compassionate Christ, and by
      Thy death Thou didst slay death, O Thou who didst raise up the dead
      from among the dead. Wherefore, we worship Thy holy resurrection.

      4. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      The serpent once poured its venom into the ears of Eve; but on the
      tree of the Cross, Christ poured forth the sweetness of life upon the
      world. Wherefore, we cry out: Remember us, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

      5. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Thou wast laid in the tomb as one dead, O Christ, Thou Life of all;
      and Thou didst break down the gates of hades; and having risen again
      in glory on the third day as One mighty, Thou hast illumined all.
      Glory to Thine arising!

      6. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      Having risen from the dead on the third day, the Lord bestowed His
      peace upon His disciples; and having blessed them, He sent them forth
      saying: Lead all into My kingdom!

      7. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      The Father is light; the Son and Word is light; and the Holy Spirit is
      light. Yet the Three are one Light, for they are one God in three
      Persons, One in nature and origin, indivisible, unconfused and

      For our sake thou gavest birth in the flesh to the Son and Word of
      the Father, as thou thyself hast declared, O Theotokos. Wherefore, O
      Virgin Mother, we who are deified through thee cry out to thee:
      Rejoice, O hope of Christians!

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 7: Thou didst destroy death by Thy
      Cross, / Thou didst open paradise to the thief, / Thou didst change
      the lamentation of the myrrh-bearers, / and Thou didst command Thine
      Apostles / to proclaim that Thou didst arise, O Christ God, // and
      grantest to the world great mercy.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of the Martyrs, Tone 4: In their sufferings O Lord, / Thy
      martyrs received imperishable crowns from Thee, our God; / for,
      possessed of Thy might, / they cast down the tormentors and set at
      naught the feeble audacity of the demons. // By their supplications
      save our souls.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 7: No longer will the dominion of death
      / be able to keep men captive, / for Christ hath descended,
      demolishing and destroying the powers thereof. / Hades is bound; the
      prophets rejoice with one voice, saying: / A Savior hath come for them
      that have faith! // Come forth, ye faithful, for the Resurrection!

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Kontakion of the Martyrs, Tone 2: Having struggled splendidly, / ye
      were reckoned among the legions of Christ’s martyrs / which fought
      valiantly, O glorious Galacteon, / with Episteme, thine honored
      spouse, who suffered with thee. // Unceasingly entreat the one God in
      behalf of us all.

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 7th Tone: The Lord will give strength
      unto His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace.
      Choir: The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will
      bless His people with peace.
      Reader: Bring unto the Lord, ye sons of God, bring unto the Lord the
      sons of rams.
      Choir: The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will
      bless His people with peace.
      Reader: The Lord will give strength unto His people.
      Choir: the Lord will bless His people with peace.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to
      the Ephesians:

      [Ephesians 2:14-22, §221]: Brethren: Christ is our peace, who hath
      made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition
      between us; * Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law
      of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of
      twain one new man, so making peace; * And that he might reconcile both
      unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: *
      And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them
      that were nigh. * For through him we both have access by one Spirit
      unto the Father. * Now therefore ye are no more strangers and
      foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household
      of God; * And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and
      prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; * In whom
      all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in
      the Lord: * In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of
      God through the Spirit.

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 7th Tone.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: It is good to give praise unto the Lord, and to chant unto Thy
      name, O Most High.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: To proclaim in the morning Thy mercy, and Thy truth by night.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

      [Luke 8:41-56, §39]: At that time, there came a man named Jairus, and
      he was a ruler of the synagogue: and he fell down at Jesus' feet, and
      besought him that he would come into his house: * For he had one only
      daughter, about twelve years of age, and she lay a dying. But as he
      went the people thronged him. * And a woman having an issue of blood
      twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither
      could be healed of any, * Came behind him, and touched the border of
      his garment: and immediately her issue of blood stanched. * And Jesus
      said, Who touched me? When all denied, Peter and they that were with
      him said, Master, the multitude throng thee and press thee, and sayest
      thou, Who touched me? * And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched me: for
      I perceive that virtue is gone out of me. * And when the woman saw
      that she was not hid, she came trembling, and falling down before him,
      she declared unto him before all the people for what cause she had
      touched him, and how she was healed immediately. * And he said unto
      her, Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go
      in peace. * While he yet spake, there cometh one from the ruler of the
      synagogue's house, saying to him, Thy daughter is dead; trouble not
      the Master. * But when Jesus heard it, he answered him, saying, Fear
      not: believe only, and she shall be made whole. * And when he came
      into the house, he suffered no man to go in, save Peter, and James,
      and John, and the father and the mother of the maiden. * And all wept,
      and bewailed her: but he said, Weep not; she is not dead, but
      sleepeth. * And they laughed him to scorn, knowing that she was dead.
      * And he put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called,
      saying, Maid, arise. * And her spirit came again, and she arose
      straightway: and he commanded to give her meat. * And her parents were
      astonished: but he charged them that they should tell no man what was

      It is truly meet to bless thee, O Theotokos...

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest!
      Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!