Old Calendar Choir Cues: 22 October/4 November 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2012
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Polyeleos-rank
      service for the Kazan Icon of the Most Holy Theotokos (§1D in the
      Order of Divine Services). The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for
      a Temple dedicated to a Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord
      or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel
      are now a standard feature, indicated by the sign § and the
      appropriate number. A reminder: The Resurrectional Troparion and
      Kontakion are pointed for chanting according to the book put together
      by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      A request concerning the Hours: It is my understanding that on a
      Feast of the Theotokos, no Theotokion is sung, but rather the
      Troparion of the Feast is repeated; but I am not sure how this works
      for the Hours. Could someone enlighten me? Thank you.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford for the materials on his website
      (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort
      without his help.

      22 October/4 November 2012

      TWENTY-SECOND SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST -- Tone 5

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday: Galatians 6:11-18 (§215)
      For the Theotokos: Philippians 2:5-11 (§240)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday: Luke 16:19-31 (§83)
      For the Theotokos: Luke 10:38-42, 11:27-23 (§54)

      Twenty-Second Sunday after Pentecost. Kazan Icon of the Most Holy
      Theotokos, commemorating the deliverance form the Poles in 1612. Holy
      Equal-to-the-Apostles Abercius, Bishop and wonder-worker of
      Hierapolis, and the Seven Youths ("Seven Sleepers") of Ephesus:
      Maximilian, Jamblichus, Martinian, Dionysius, Antoninus, Constantine
      (Hexakustodianos), and John. Hieromartyr Alexander, Bishop. Martyrs
      Heraclius the soldier, Anna, Elizabeth, Theodora, and Glykeria at
      Adrianople. Venerable Lot of Egypt. Venerable Rufus. Hieromartyr
      Mark, Bishop of Jerusalem, Venerable Theodore and Paul of Rostov.
      New-Hieromartyr Seraphim (Samuilovich), Archbishop of Uglich (1937).

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Troparion of the Icon
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Troparion of the Icon
      Kontakion of the Icon

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      10: 6 from the Octoechos, 4 from Ode 3 of the Canon of the Icon

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      Believing Thee to be God, O Christ, the thief on the cross confessed
      Thee in a pure manner, crying out from the depths of his heart:
      Remember me in Thy kingdom, O Lord!

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      Together let us hymn as Savior and Creator, Him Who on the Cross
      budded forth life for our race and caused the curse which originated
      from the tree to wither up.

      By Thy death hast Thou destroyed the power of death, O Christ, and
      Thou didst raise up with Thyself the dead of ages past, who now hymn
      Thee as our true God and Savior.

      Arriving at Thy tomb, O Christ, the honorable women sought to anoint
      Thee with myrrh, O Bestower of life; but an angel appeared to them,
      crying out: The Lord is risen!

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      When Thou wast crucified between two condemned thieves, O Christ, one
      of them blasphemed Thee and was justly damned, while the other
      confessed Thee and dwelleth now in paradise.

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      When they had come to the choir of the apostles, the honorable women
      cried out:Christ is risen! Let us worship Him as Master and Creator.

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Rejoice, O unshakable, pure and animate palace of Christ the King Most
      High! Rejoice, O Directress, Rejoice! For by thee is our city
      preserved intact!

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      In thy womb which tasted not of wedlock thou didst bodily contain Him
      Whom creation cannot contain, O Virgin Directress. Wherefore,
      magnifying thee as is meet, we chant, Rejoice!

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Thou didst once fill thy first-painted icon with grace, O Virgin Lady
      Theotokos; and now that same grace speaketh forth truly in the
      effulgence of the wonders of faith, as the first one did for the sake
      of thee who wast first depicted thereon, unto those who with faith
      have recourse to thee after God.

      We bow down before the all-pure image of thee and thy Babe all-sweet,
      Christ the pre-ëternal and never-waning Light, O Theotokos, by Whom
      thou hast saved all human nature from cruel evils and mortal
      corruption.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 5: Let us, O faithful, praise and
      worship the Word, / Who is co-unoriginate with the Father and the
      Spirit, / and Who was born of the Virgin for our salvation; / for He
      was pleased to ascend the Cross in the Flesh, / and to endure death,
      // and to raise the dead by His glorious Resurrection.

      Troparion of the Kazan Icon, Tone 4: O fervent intercessor, Mother of
      the Lord Most High, / thou prayest for all to thy Son, Christ our God,
      / and thou contrivest to save all who have recourse to thy powerful
      protection./ O Sovereign Lady and Queen, help and defend all of us /
      who in troubles and trials, in pains and burdened with many sins, /
      stand before thy most pure Icon in thy presence, / and pray to thee
      with compunction of soul, / contrition of heart, and with tears, / and
      who have unflagging hope in thee. / Grant to all what is good for us,
      / deliverance from all evil, / and save us all, O Virgin Theotokos, //
      for thou art a divine protection to thy servants.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 5: Unto hades, O my Savior, didst Thou
      descend, / and having broken its gates as One omnipotent, / Thou, as
      Creator, didst raise up the dead together with Thyself. / And Thou
      didst break the sting of death, / and didst deliver Adam from the
      curse, O Lover of mankind. // Wherefore we all cry unto Thee: Save
      us, O Lord.

      Glory…

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Both now...

      Kontakion of the Kazan Icon, Tone 8: Let us run, O ye peoples, to that
      quiet and good harbor, to the speedy helper, / to the ready and warm
      salvation, to the Virgin’s protection. / Let us hurry to prayer and
      hasten to repentance; / for the most pure Theotokos poureth out for us
      unfailing mercy, / anticipateth our needs with her help and delivereth
      from great disasters and evils // her well-pleasing and God-fearing
      servants.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 5th Tone: Thou, O Lord, shalt keep us
      and shalt preserve us from this generation and for evermore.
      Choir: Thou, O Lord, shalt keep us and shalt preserve us from this
      generation and for evermore.
      Reader: Save me, O Lord for a righteous man there is no more.
      Choir: Thou, O Lord, shalt keep us and shalt preserve us from this
      generation and for evermore.
      Reader: In the 3rd Tone: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit
      hath rejoiced in God my Savior.
      Choir: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in
      God my Savior.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to
      the Galatians.

      [Galatians 6:11-18, §215]: Brethren: Let him that is taught in the
      word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things. * Be not
      deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall
      he also reap. * For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh
      reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit
      reap life everlasting. * And let us not be weary in well doing: for in
      due season we shall reap, if we faint not. * As we have therefore
      opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are
      of the household of faith. * Ye see how large a letter I have written
      unto you with mine own hand. * As many as desire to make a fair shew
      in the flesh, they constrain you to be circumcised; only lest they
      should suffer persecution for the cross of Christ. * For neither they
      themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you
      circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh. * But God forbid that
      I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom
      the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. * For in Christ
      Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but
      a new creature. * And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be
      on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God. * From henceforth let
      no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.
      * Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.
      Amen.

      [Philippians 2:5-11, §240]: Brethren: Let this mind be in you, which
      was also in Christ Jesus: * Who, being in the form of God, thought it
      not robbery to be equal with God: * But made himself of no reputation,
      and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness
      of men: * And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and
      became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. * Wherefore
      God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above
      every name: * That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of
      things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; *
      And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the
      glory of God the Father.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 5th Tone: Of Thy mercies, O Lord, will I sing
      for ever. Unto generation and generation will I declare Thy truth
      with my mouth.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: For Thou hast said: Mercy shall be built up for ever, in the
      heavens shall Thy truth be established.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 8th Tone: Hearken, O daughter, and see, and incline thine ear.

      [Luke 16:19-31, §83]: The Lord said: There was a certain rich man,
      which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously
      every day: * And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was
      laid at his gate, full of sores, * And desiring to be fed with the
      crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came
      and licked his sores. * And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and
      was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also
      died, and was buried; * And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in
      torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. * And
      he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus,
      that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue;
      for I am tormented in this flame. * But Abraham said, Son, remember
      that thou in thy lifetime didst received thy good things, and likewise
      Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
      * And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed:
      so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can
      they pass to us, that would come from thence. * Then he said, I pray
      thee therefore, father, that thou wouldst send him to my father's
      house: * For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest
      they also come into this place of torment. * Abraham saith unto him,
      They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. * And he said,
      Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they
      will repent. * And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the
      prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the
      dead.

      [Luke 10:38-42, 11:27-28, §54]: At that time, Jesus entered into a
      certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into
      her house. * And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at
      Jesus' feet, and heard his word. * But Martha was cumbered about much
      serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my
      sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help
      me. * And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art
      careful and troubled about many things: * But one thing is needful:
      and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away
      from her. * And a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice,
      and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps
      which thou hast sucked. * But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they
      that hear the word of God, and keep it.

      DOSTOINIK

      It is truly meet to bless thee, O Theotokos...

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest! I will
      take the cup of salvation, and I will call upon the name of the Lord.
      Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!