St Macarios, Concerning Unprotected Vessels

  • starina77
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25, 2012
      Greetings, all

      I have been asked by a couple members of my parish to provide a translation of an interesting article, from Church Slavonic to English. This article (or rather "spiritual teaching") is derived from a medieval Russian manuscript source and was printed by a well-meaning but poorly-educated typographer in a small booklet around the turn of the last century. I have searched through the available writings and not found an authentic source for this "teaching" among the works of St. Macarios, but I have found testimony to its existence going all the way back to medieval times. (In all probability it is "apocryphal".) Apparently it circulated in many versions, and it has been somewhat popular among Old Believer communities, where it has been well preserved in both the written and oral tradition.

      Essentially, it tells the story of how a certain Macarios (the Great?) was travelling in a wilderness area and he encountered a demon, and they had a conversation. St. Macarios asked the demon a number of questions about how he tries to enter into the bodies of Christians and claim their souls, and it is revealed that the demon can hide in a vessel of liquid, and if a Christian makes the Sign of the Cross to protect himself, he will drive the demon away. Old Believers specifically draw on this "teaching" to support our tradition of Crossing ourselves before drinking any liquid, especially alcoholic beverages.

      I am requesting a bit of help in translating this article into English, if anyone is inclined to assist me. My schedule is very full because of work commitments over the next couple weeks, and I am not able to find the time to do this. Please keep in mind that the spelling is confusing because the typographer did not know his grammar very well, and there is a considerable amount of misplaced and misused punctuation. However, it is quite an interesting article, and I think it will shed some light on an interesting cultural tradition.

      I have uploaded the PDF to the files section:
      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wAqKULqzI4cJ7F0leh0Gh6LwDCgXGgtzC3SKmtKrwbjOxMeXUVdQ9-_optllOpc4KGL_TnxS-x6dbTcyR69hstdH42g69Fk/StMacarios_vessels.pdf

      Any assistance that can be offered would be gratefully accepted.

      In Christ,

      Nikita Simmons
      Woodburn, Oregon USA
    • Gene B.
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2012
        Dear Nikita,

        The file does not open. I could perhaps be of some assistance, depending on
        the scope (I teach two courses etc.).

        Did you receive the scans of the 1624 MS Menaion for June that I sent you?

        Yours in Christ,

        Rdr Gennady