Re: [ustav] Troparia order Kazan Icon/Kursk Root Icon

  • Philip Sokolov
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25, 2012
      Matushka Cindy Williams wrote:

      > The weekend of Nov. 3-4, our parish will be blessed at the Vigil and
      > Divine Liturgy with the presence of the Kursk Root Icon of the Mother of
      > God. We will be serving to the Kazan Icon, as is prescribed ... but
      > what would be the order for the troparia on Sunday? We have been told
      > that we should include the troparion and kontakion for the Kursk Root
      > Icon, but what would we leave out? For the Kazan Icon, in a parish
      > dedicated to a saint, the order would be
      >
      > Troparia:
      > Sunday
      > Kazan Icon
      > Temple
      >
      > Kontakia:
      > Sunday
      > Glory...
      > Temple
      > Both now...
      > Kazan Icon

      Here are my thoughts.

      1. The rector has the option to set aside the service to the Kazan Icon,
      and to use instead the other prescribed service from the Menaion. That
      might not be a bad idea this year, as it would bypass the unusual
      circumstance of singing the service to one wonder-working icon while in
      the presence of another, and of trying to decide which one outranks the
      other.

      2. The other service in the Menaion is a "double" commemoration for St.
      Abercius + the Seven Sleepers. But perhaps, following the precedent of
      an Afterfeast (in turn following the Typikon entry for September 1), set
      aside the second saint, in order to avoid the confluence of too many
      commemorations. Thus, per chapter 1F1 of the ODS:

      Troparia:
      Sunday
      Kursk Icon
      Temple