Re: Protection/St. Romanos

  • srbm73
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2012
      Dear Reader Philip,

      The Typikon on 1 Oct. after outlining the service for Sts. Ananias & Romanus, then outlines the feast of the Pokrov. This is followed by an outline for combing the Pokrov w/the texts for the two saints.

      Dn. Sergius

      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Philip Sokolov <phils@...> wrote:

      > Dear friends,
      >
      > Is there an widely-accepted way, or a good model of a way, to combine
      > the services of the Protection of the Theotokos and St. Romanos?
      >
      > --Philip Sokolov

    • dollpka
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 11 6:48 PM
        Can these two services be combined on a Sunday?
        If so, could these rubrics be posted?
        Thanks,
        Kenneth Doll

      • kyril@mynachdysantelias.fsnet.co.uk
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 12 2:55 AM
          On a Sunday the service for St Romanos gets dropped. These are my translation of the rubrics:

          Great Vespers on Saturday evening:

          On "Lord, I have cried", 4 verses for the Resurrection, 3 verses for Pokrov, 3 verses for St Ananias; Glory: Pokrov; Both now: Theotokion Dogmatikon for the Tone of the week
          Readings for Pokrov.
          Lity: verses for Pokrov; Glory: St Ananias; Both now: Pokrov
          Aposticha: Verses for Resurrection; Glory: St Ananias; Both now: Pokrov
          If a Vigil, then the Troparion of Pokrov 3 times at the blessing of bread.

          Matins:
          After "The Lord is God", Troparion of the Resurrection (twice); Glory: St Ananias; Both now: Pokrov
          Sessional Hymns for the Resurrection with their Theotokia
          Polyelei and "The Choir of Angels". Hypakoe for the Tone; Sessional Hymns for Pokrov
          Antiphons and Prokeimenon for the Tone of the week
          Gospel of the Resurrection with what usually follows.
          Canons: Resurrection on 4 verses, Pokrov on 6 verses and Ananias on 4 verses. Katavasia: "I shall open my mouth".
          After Ode 3: Kontakia for Pokrov and St Ananias; Sessional Hymns for St Ananias; Glory; Both now: Pokrov.
          After Ode 6: Kontakion of the Resurrection.
          After Ode 9: Exaposteilarion of the Resurrection; Glory: St Ananias; Both now: Pokrov.
          On the Praises: 4 verses for th Resurrection; 3 podoben verses and 1 idiomel (appointed for "Glory") for Pokrov (with the last two Psalm verses from the Vespers Aposticha for Pokrov); Glory: the Gospel verse; Both now: "Most blessed are you".
          Great Doxology.
          After Holy God: Resurrection Troparion.
          Litanies and Dismissal.

          First Hour (and Sixth Hour):
          Troparion of Resurrection; Glory: Troparion of Pokrov; Both now: Theotokion of the Hour. Kontakion of Pokrov.

          Third Hour (and Ninth Hour):
          Troparion of Resurrection; Glory: Troparion of St Ananias; Both now: Theotokion of the Hour. Kontakion of the Resurrection.

          At Divine Liturgy:
          On the Beatitudes sing 12 verses: 4 verses for the Resurrection; 4 verses for Pokrov (from the 3rd Ode of the Canon); 4 verses for St Ananias (from the 6th Ode of the Canon).
          Troparia of the Resurrection, Pokrov and St Ananias; Kontakion of the Resurrection; Glory: Kopntakion of St Ananias; Both now: Kontakion of Pokrov.
          Prokeimenon, Apostle, Alleluia, Gospel, and Communion Chants: First for Resurrection; Second for the Mother of God.

          Archimandrite Kyril Jenner

          > Message Received: Oct 12 2012, 02:48 AM
          > From: "dollpka"
          > To: ustav@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [ustav] Re: Protection/St. Romanos
          >
          > Can these two services be combined on a Sunday?
          > If so, could these rubrics be posted?
          > Thanks,
          > Kenneth Doll
          >
          > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "srbm73" wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear Reader Philip,
          > >
          > > The Typikon on 1 Oct. after outlining the service for Sts. Ananias & Romanus, then outlines the feast of the Pokrov. This is followed by an outline for combing the Pokrov w/the texts for the two saints.
          > >
          > > Dn. Sergius
          > >
          > > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Philip Sokolov wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Dear friends,
          > > >
          > > > Is there an widely-accepted way, or a good model of a way, to combine
          > > > the services of the Protection of the Theotokos and St. Romanos?
          > > >
          > > > --Philip Sokolov

        • S. Miller
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 12 7:26 AM
            Dear Kenneth,

            I'm writing privately. I would, were I you, substitute St. Romanus for St. Ananais using Archimandrite Kiril's rubrics.

            Sergius, Deacon

            --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "dollpka" <dollpka@...> wrote:

            > Can these two services be combined on a Sunday?
            > If so, could these rubrics be posted?
            > Thanks,
            > Kenneth Doll
            >
            > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "srbm73" <srbmillerr@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear Reader Philip,
            > >
            > > The Typikon on 1 Oct. after outlining the service for Sts. Ananias & Romanus, then outlines the feast of the Pokrov. This is followed by an outline for combing the Pokrov w/the texts for the two saints.
            > >
            > > Dn. Sergius
            > >
            > > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Philip Sokolov <phils@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Dear friends,
            > > >
            > > > Is there an widely-accepted way, or a good model of a way, to combine
            > > > the services of the Protection of the Theotokos and St. Romanos?
            > > >
            > > > --Philip Sokolov

          • S. Miller
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 12 7:28 AM
              Oooops! Not so private after all.

              frS

              --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "S. Miller" <srbmillerr@...> wrote:

              > Dear Kenneth,
              >
              > I'm writing privately. I would, were I you, substitute St. Romanus for St. Ananais using Archimandrite Kiril's rubrics.
              >
              > Sergius, Deacon
              >
              > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "dollpka" <dollpka@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Can these two services be combined on a Sunday?
              > > If so, could these rubrics be posted?
              > > Thanks,
              > > Kenneth Doll
              > >
              > > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "srbm73" <srbmillerr@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Dear Reader Philip,
              > > >
              > > > The Typikon on 1 Oct. after outlining the service for Sts. Ananias & Romanus, then outlines the feast of the Pokrov. This is followed by an outline for combing the Pokrov w/the texts for the two saints.
              > > >
              > > > Dn. Sergius

            • dollpka
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 12 12:36 PM
                Thank you to Fr. Kyril and Fr. Sergius.