Re: CORRECTED Old Calendar Choir Cues: 16 Pentecost, 10/23 September 2012

  • Nikifor Franklin
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 19 9:22 AM
      There are also special Prokeimenon and Alleluia verses for the Sunday before Exaltation.

      in Christ,

      dcn Nikifor

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 19 1:08 PM
        From what I could see, the Feast in question was the Afterfeast of the
        Nativity of the Theotokos - my source made no mention of the verses for the
        Sunday before the Exaltation. I would assume that whether we celebrate an
        Afterfeast or a Forefeast depends on the proximity of the Sunday to the
        actual Feast, and in this case, this coming Sunday is closest to the
        Nativity of the Theotokos.

        On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Nikifor Franklin <
        nikifor.franklin@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > There are also special Prokeimenon and Alleluia verses for the Sunday
        > before Exaltation.
        >
        > in Christ,
        >
        > dcn Nikifor

      • Jopi Harri
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 19 1:46 PM
          On 19.9.2012 23:08, Meg Lark wrote:
          > From what I could see, the Feast in question was the Afterfeast of the
          > Nativity of the Theotokos - my source made no mention of the verses for the
          > Sunday before the Exaltation. I would assume that whether we celebrate an
          > Afterfeast or a Forefeast depends on the proximity of the Sunday to the
          > actual Feast, and in this case, this coming Sunday is closest to the
          > Nativity of the Theotokos.

          Not quite. What has been appointed for the Sunday before the
          Exaltation always takes precedence. Sorry for your source
          (apparently some other than the Typicon).

          - Jopi Harri
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 19 2:59 PM
            On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Jopi Harri <jopi.harri@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > On 19.9.2012 23:08, Meg Lark wrote:
            > > From what I could see, the Feast in question was the Afterfeast of the
            > > Nativity of the Theotokos - my source made no mention of the verses for
            > the
            > > Sunday before the Exaltation. I would assume that whether we celebrate an
            > > Afterfeast or a Forefeast depends on the proximity of the Sunday to the
            > > actual Feast, and in this case, this coming Sunday is closest to the
            > > Nativity of the Theotokos.
            >
            > Not quite. What has been appointed for the Sunday before the
            > Exaltation always takes precedence. Sorry for your source
            > (apparently some other than the Typicon).

            Put it this way - my source is someone who can read the Typicon in
            Slavonic. I do not have access to an English-language Typicon, other than
            the St. Innocent Press calendar - which is why the job of posting Choir
            Cues is ALWAYS open to someone with more knowledge than I have. It's yours
            if you want it. ;-)

            In Christ,
            Meg

          • Nikifor Franklin
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 19 3:30 PM
              Both are correct in a way... The Prokeimenon and Alleluia of the Sunday before Exaltation take precedence -- over those for those of the usual Sunday Tone. If there were a Saint with a Prokeimenon, his or her Prokeimenon would follow, but since there is not, then the Prokeimenon of the Afterfeast does.

              Fr. John's website has an error. But I believe the St. Innocent calendar is correct (it's not in front of me right now, but I think I used it to help make my own "cues" for our readers at the beginning of the month and did not notice the error).

              dN

              --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Jopi Harri <jopi.harri@...> wrote:

              > On 19.9.2012 23:08, Meg Lark wrote:
              > > From what I could see, the Feast in question was the Afterfeast of the
              > > Nativity of the Theotokos - my source made no mention of the verses for the
              > > Sunday before the Exaltation. I would assume that whether we celebrate an
              > > Afterfeast or a Forefeast depends on the proximity of the Sunday to the
              > > actual Feast, and in this case, this coming Sunday is closest to the
              > > Nativity of the Theotokos.
              >
              > Not quite. What has been appointed for the Sunday before the
              > Exaltation always takes precedence. Sorry for your source
              > (apparently some other than the Typicon).
              >
              > - Jopi Harri

            • Fr. John Whiteford
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 19 8:29 PM
                The St. Innocent Calendar was correct, and I had the right prokimenon and Alleluia verse for the Typika text, but the Liturgy propers, for whatever reason, were wrong. They are fixed now:

                http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/lit_september10.htm

                Thanks for pointing it out.

                Presbyter John Whiteford
                St. Jonah Orthodox Church
                Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/
                Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/frjohnwhiteford

                "This is the cause of all evils: the ignorance of the Scriptures. We go into battle without arms, and how ought we to come off safe?" -St. John Chrysostom, Homily IX on Colossians.

                ________________________________
                Both are correct in a way... The Prokeimenon and Alleluia of the Sunday before Exaltation take precedence -- over those for those of the usual Sunday Tone. If there were a Saint with a Prokeimenon, his or her Prokeimenon would follow, but since there is not, then the Prokeimenon of the Afterfeast does.

                Fr. John's website has an error. But I believe the St. Innocent calendar is correct (it's not in front of me right now, but I think I used it to help make my own "cues" for our readers at the beginning of the month and did not notice the error).

                dN

                --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Jopi Harri <jopi.harri@...> wrote:

                > On 19.9.2012 23:08, Meg Lark wrote:
                > > From what I could see, the Feast in question was the Afterfeast of the
                > > Nativity of the Theotokos - my source made no mention of the verses for the
                > > Sunday before the Exaltation.  I would assume that whether we celebrate an
                > > Afterfeast or a Forefeast depends on the proximity of the Sunday to the
                > > actual Feast, and in this case, this coming Sunday is closest to the
                > > Nativity of the Theotokos.
                >
                > Not quite. What has been appointed for the Sunday before the
                > Exaltation always takes precedence. Sorry for your source
                > (apparently some other than the Typicon).
                >
                > - Jopi Harri

                Yahoo! Groups Links
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 19 11:50 PM
                  Sorry, Father, I'm not seeing anything different from what I posted - could
                  you clarify? Thanks.

                  On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Fr. John Whiteford <
                  frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > The St. Innocent Calendar was correct, and I had the right prokimenon and
                  > Alleluia verse for the Typika text, but the Liturgy propers, for whatever
                  > reason, were wrong. They are fixed now:
                  >
                  > http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/lit_september10.htm
                  >
                  > Thanks for pointing it out.
                  >
                  > Presbyter John Whiteford
                  > St. Jonah Orthodox Church
                  > Parish Home Page: http://www.saintjonah.org/

                • Fr. John Whiteford
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 20 3:30 AM
                    Hello Meg,

                    If you hit F5 to refresh the page, you should see it. But here is the text:

                    Reader: The Prokimenon in the 6th Tone:  Save, O Lord, Thy people and bless Thine
                    inheritance.
                    Choir: Save, O
                    Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
                    Reader: Unto Thee, O Lord, Will I cry; O my God, be not silent unto me.
                    Choir: Save, O
                    Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
                    Reader:  In the3rd Tone: My soul doth magnify the
                    Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in
                    God
                    my Savior.
                    Choir: My soul
                    doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior.

                    Reader: The
                    Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Galatians:
                    [Gal. 6:11-18
                    (§215); II Cor. 6:1-10 (§181)

                    Reader:Alleluia
                    in the 1st Tone: I have raised up one chosen out of my
                    people; with my
                    holy
                    oil have I anointed him.
                    Choir:Alleluia,
                    Alleluia, Alleluia!
                    Reader:For
                    My hand shall be unto Him an ally, and Mine arm shall
                    strengthen him.