Re: [ustav] Re: Old Calendar Choir Cues: 11 Pentecost, Transfiguration of Our Lord, God, and Savior Jesus Christ, 6/19 August 2012

  • T. R. Valentine
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 22 2:23 PM
      On Fri, 2012-08-17 at 13:32 -0400, Meg Lark wrote:

      > Usually they do, but this is a Great Feast, one of the Twelve Great Feasts
      > of the Church, and a Feast of the Lord to boot.

      Of the Twelve Great Feasts, which are considered Feasts of the Lord?

      For certain:
      Nativity (25 Dec)
      Theophany (6 Jan)
      Presentation (2 Feb)
      Transfiguration (6 Aug)

      Probably:
      Palm Sunday
      Ascension

      Annunciation (25 Mar) - of the Lord or the Theotokos (both?)

      Feasts of the Theotokos
      Nativity (8 Sep)
      Presentation (21 Nov)
      Dormition (15 Aug)

      Pentecost - ?

      Thomas
    • Philip Sokolov
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 22 2:51 PM
        T. R. Valentine wrote:

        > Of the Twelve Great Feasts, which are considered Feasts of the Lord?

        ALWAYS FALL ON A SUNDAY
        1. Palm Sunday
        2. Thomas Sunday*
        3. Pentecost

        ALWAYS FALLS ON A THURSDAY
        4. Ascension

        MAY FALL ON ANY DAY
        5. Transfiguration
        6. Exaltation of the Cross
        7. Nativity
        8. Theophany

        * - Thomas Sunday (Antipascha) is not numbered among the Twelve Great
        Feasts, but in many respects it is equal with (shares the traits of) the
        Feasts of the Lord.

        Some people consider Meeting (Presentation) of the Lord to have some
        characteristics of a Feast of the Lord and some characteristics of a
        Feast of the Theotokos, but as a rule of thumb, I find it shares most of
        the traits of the Feasts of the Theotokos. So:

        FEASTS OF THE THEOTOKOS
        1. Nativity of the Theotokos
        2. Entry of the Theotokos into the Temple
        3. Meeting of the Lord
        4. Annunciation
        5. Dormition of the Theotokos

        --Philip Sokolov
      • Jopi Harri
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 22 3:07 PM
          On 23.8.2012 0:23, T. R. Valentine wrote:
          > Of the Twelve Great Feasts, which are considered Feasts of the Lord?

          In my understanding, those which have festal antiphons for the
          Divine Liturgy according to the standard Sabaite (Russian) usage.
          That is, Exaltation, Nativity, Theophany, Palm Sunday, Ascension,
          Pentecost, and Transfiguration. (In addition, Pascha also has
          festal antiphons, but it is not counted among the twelve great
          feasts.)

          - Jopi Harri
        • hierodeaconvasyl@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 22 3:25 PM
            Pascha is the Feast of Feasts.
            Sent from my BlackBerry® by Boost Mobile