Old Calendar Choir Cues: 9 Pentecost, 23 July/5 August 2012

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2012
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Polyeleos-rank
      service for the Pochaev Icon of the Mother of God.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments. If you have corrections,
      please be sure to click "Reply to All" to ensure that all on the Choir
      Cues list receive the corrections in a timely fashion. However, please
      note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own.
      Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign §,
      followed by the appropriate number. Please also note that the
      Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for singing
      according to the Divine Liturgy book put together by Dr. Timothy
      Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website: http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/. I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      23 July/5 August 2012

      NINTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST -- Tone 8

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday: 1 Corinthians 3:9-17 (§128)
      For the Theotokos: Hebrews 9:1-7 (§320)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday: Matthew 14:22-34 (§59)
      For the Theotokos: Luke 10:38-42, 11:27-28 (§54)

      Ninth Sunday after Pentecost. Martyrs Trophymos, Theophilos and
      thirteen others in Lycia. Hieromartyr Apollinarius, Bishop of
      Ravenna. Venerable Anna of Leucadia. Righteous Soldier Theodore
      (Ushakov). Commemoration of the Miraculous Appearance of the Mother
      of God at Mount Pochaev, which saved the monastery from the assault of
      the Turks (1675). "Joy of All Who Sorrow" Icon of the Mother of God
      at the glass factory in St. Petersburg. Movable Feast on the Sunday
      before July 28: Synaxis of the Saints of Smolensk.

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Troparion of the Pochaev Icon
      Kontakion of the Pochaev Icon

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Troparion of the Pochaev Icon
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes):
      10: 6 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 3 of the Canon to the Icon

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      Remember us, O Christ, Thou Savior of the world, as Thou didst
      remember the thief upon the Cross; and account us all worthy of Thy
      heavenly kingdom, O Thou Who alone art compassionate.

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      Hearken, O Adam, and rejoice with Eve; for he who of old stripped you
      both naked, and by deception hath taken all of us captive, hath been
      set at nought by the Cross of Christ.

      Nailed of Thine own will to the Tree, O our Savior, Thou didst deliver
      Adam from the curse which came through the tree, and hast rewarded
      that which is in Thine image with a dwelling in paradise, in that Thou
      art compassionate.

      Today is Christ risen from the tomb, granting incorruption unto all
      the faithful; and He reneweth the joy of the myrrh-bearing women after
      His suffering and resurrection.

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Rejoice, O wise myrrh-bearing women, who were first to behold the
      resurrection of Christ, and who proclaimed to the apostles the glad
      tidings of the restoration of the whole world!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      O ye apostles, who are manifestly the friends of Christ and are to be
      enthroned with Him in glory: entreat Him with boldness, that He
      intercede for us, for ye are His disciples.

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      The Christ-loving Anna received thine icon, O Lady, from the hand of
      the holy hierarch, as a sacred gift, a reward for her hospitality,
      and seeing the healing thereby of her brother who had been born blind,
      she gave it to the Monastery of Pochaev for the common good.

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      Let us kiss the Pochaev Icon of the all-pure Theotokos, O faithful,
      and, offering repentance for our sins, let us ask of the Lady
      deliverance from want and help in all good undertakings.

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      The miraculous icon of the Theotokos appeared on holy Mount Pochaev as
      a most beautiful blossom on a tree of goodly foliage. O ye faithful,
      ask that the gift of loving-kindness, needful for our life, be given
      you, in accordance with Christ’s words.

      That which is necessary for this transitory life, O brethren, is of
      little value; yet even these things doth the Lord give us, at the
      entreaty of His Mother. Yet He blesseth and rewardeth with eternal joy
      in heaven those who endure more than these. Pray thou, O Lady, that He
      grant it also unto us.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion,Tone 8: From on high didst Thou descend, O
      Compassionate One. / To burial of three days hast Thou submitted, /
      that Thou mightest free us from our passions. // O our life and
      Resurrection, O Lord, glory be to Thee!

      Troparion of the Pochaev Icon, Tone 5: Before thy holy icon, O
      Sovereign Lady, / they who pray are vouchsafed healings, / receive
      knowledge of the true Faith, / and repel the assaults of the Moslems.
      / Wherefore, for us who fall down before thee, / do thou entreat
      remission of sins; / enlighten our hearts with thoughts of piety, /
      and offer up supplication before thy Son // for the salvation of our
      souls.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Resurrectional Kontakion,Tone 8: Having risen from the tomb, Thou
      didst raise up the dead and didst resurrect Adam. / Eve also danceth
      at Thy Resurrection, // and the ends of the world celebrate Thine
      arising from the dead, O Greatly Merciful One.

      Glory…

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Both now...

      Kontakion of the Pochaev Icon, Tone 1: Thine icon of Pochaev / hath
      been shown to be a wellspring of healings / and the confirmation of
      the Orthodox Faith, / O Theotokos. / Wherefore, from misfortunes and
      temptations / free us who have recourse to it; / preserve thy Lavra
      unharmed; / establish Orthodoxy in the surrounding lands; / and remit
      the sins of those who pray to thee, // for whatsoever thou desirest,
      thou canst do.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 8th Tone: Make your vows and pay them
      to the Lord our God.
      Choir: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.
      Reader: In Judea is God known, His name is great in Israel.
      Choir: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.
      Reader: In the 3rd Tone: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit
      hath rejoiced in God my Savior.
      Choir: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in
      God my Savior.

      Reader: The Reading is from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul
      to the Corinthians.

      [1 Corinthians 3:9-17, §128]: Brethren: We are labourers together with
      God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. * According to the
      grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have
      laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man
      take heed how he buildeth thereupon. * For other foundation can no man
      lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. * Now if any man build
      upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay,
      stubble; * Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall
      declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall
      try every man's work of what sort it is. * If any man's work abide
      which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. * If any
      man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall
      be saved; yet so as by fire. * Know ye not that ye are the temple of
      God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? * If any man defile
      the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is
      holy, which temple ye are.

      [Heb. 9:1-7, §320]: Brethren: Then verily the first covenant had
      also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary. * For
      there was a tabernacle made; the first, wherein was the candlestick,
      and the table, and the shewbread; which is called the sanctuary. * And
      after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of
      all; * Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant
      overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had
      manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant; *
      And over it the cherubim of glory shadowing the mercy seat; of which
      we cannot now speak particularly. * Now when these things were thus
      ordained, the priests went always into the first tabernacle,
      accomplishing the service of God. * But into the second went the high
      priest alone once every year, not without blood, which he offered for
      himself, and for the errors of the people.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 8th Tone: Come let us rejoice in the Lord, let
      us shout with jubilation unto God our Savior.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Let us come before His countenance with thanksgiving, and
      with psalms let us shout in jubilation unto Him.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Arise, O Lord, into Thy rest, Thou and the ark of Thy holiness.

      [Matthew 14:22-34, §59]: At that time, Jesus constrained his disciples
      to get into a ship, and to go before him unto the other side, while he
      sent the multitudes away. * And when he had sent the multitudes away,
      he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was
      come, he was there alone. * But the ship was now in the midst of the
      sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary. * And in the fourth
      watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. * And
      when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled,
      saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear. * But straightway
      Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not
      afraid. * And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me
      come unto thee on the water. * And he said, Come. And when Peter was
      come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. *
      But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to
      sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. * And immediately Jesus
      stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of
      little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? * And when they were come
      into the ship, the wind ceased. * Then they that were in the ship came
      and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God. * And
      when they were gone over, they came into the land of Gennesaret.

      [Luke 10:38-42, 11:27-28, §54]: At that time, Jesus he entered into a
      certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into
      her house. * And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at
      Jesus' feet, and heard his word. * But Martha was cumbered about much
      serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my
      sister hath left me to serve alone? Bid her therefore that she help
      me. * And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art
      careful and troubled about many things: * But one thing is needful:
      and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away
      from her. * And as he spake these things, a certain woman of the
      company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb
      that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. * But he said,
      Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

      DOSTOINIK

      It is truly meet...

      COMMUNION

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! I will
      take the cup of salvation, and I will call upon the name of the Lord.
      Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
    • Aidanus
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2012
        "At that time Jesus he entered"?

        Thanks for the laborious work on the Cues. It's appreciated.

        Fr. Aidan+
        sinner

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2012
          On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Aidanus <hieromonachusaidanus@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > "At that time Jesus he entered"?

          Probably related to the expression Ellis Peters used to use in her Brother
          Cadfael books, "God He knows." I just copy and paste passages from an
          online KJV Bible, I don't enter text by hand - if I did, personal pronouns
          related to God would always be capitalized. ;-)

          Kissing your right hand,
          Meg Lark