Psalm verses with the special melodies

  • subdeaconmichaelastley
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4 12:41 PM
      Dear friends,

      My parish has never used the special melodies. We simply don't know them and when they have been appointed we have simply sung the pertinent stikhera to the simple Kievan tone. However, I am trying to learn some of the special melodies.

      When singing a stikheron at Vespers to one of the special melodies, how is the preceding psalm verse treated? Is it sung in the usual way for that tone or is a there a special melody to accompany the... well, special melody?

      Many thanks.

      Michael
    • Jopi Harri
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4 1:14 PM
        On 4.7.2012 22:41, subdeaconmichaelastley wrote:
        > When singing a stikheron at Vespers to one of the special melodies,
        > how is the preceding psalm verse treated? Is it sung in the usual
        > way for that tone or is a there a special melody to accompany the...
        > well, special melody?

        While some podoben sources provide music for the refrains, others don't.
        So this all depends on the repertory you have chosen to use.

        - Jopi Harri
      • Philip Sokolov
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4 1:21 PM
          Michael Astley wrote:

          > When singing a stikheron at Vespers to one of the special melodies, how
          > is the preceding psalm verse treated? Is it sung in the usual way for
          > that tone or is a there a special melody to accompany the... well,
          > special melody?

          Flipping through my Podobny book, the only ones that seem to have their
          own special verse melodies are:

          T2 O House of Ephrata (Valaam Monastery)
          T4 Thou hast given us a sign (Kievan Chant)
          T5 Rejoice, life-bearing Cross (Optina Hermitage)

          The following uses the Kievan T1 verse melody:

          T1 Joy of the Heavenly Hosts (Glinsk Hermitage)

          And the following reuse the last phrase of the Podoben for verses:

          T2 When from the tree (Optina Hermitage)
          T6 On the third day thou didst rise, O Christ (Optina Hermitage)
          T8 O most glorious wonder (Optina Hermitage)

          For the rest, I usually use the Kievan verse melody in the tone
          (matching the key/voicing of the Podoben). I guess if it works better to
          reuse the last phrase, that's a fine option.

          --Philip Sokolov