Old Calendar Choir Cues: 4 Pentecost, 18 June/1 July 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2012
      Notice: Divine Liturgy for the Feast of St. John of San Francisco will
      be celebrated in most parishes this coming Saturday, June 17/30. For
      rubrics, please see Fr. John Whiteford's site
      (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/).

      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a simple service
      for Martyr Leontius of Phoenicia [§1A in the Order of Divine
      Services]. The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple
      dedicated to a Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to
      the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are
      indicated by the sign §, followed by the appropriate number. Please
      note that the Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for
      singing according to the Divine Liturgy book put together by Dr.
      Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford for the materials on his website
      (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort
      without his help.

      18 June/1 July 2012

      FOURTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST. Tone 3

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday: Romans 6:18-23 (§93)
      For the Martyr: Acts 12:1-11 (§29)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday: Matthew 8:5-13 (§25)
      For the Martyr: John 15:17-16:2 (§52)

      Fourth Sunday after Pentecost. Martyr Leontius of Phoenicia, and with
      him Hypatius and Theodulos. Martyr Aetherus. Venerable Leontius of
      Mount Athos. Venerable Leontius the Youth, Canonarch of the Kiev
      Caves. New Monk-Martyr Nicanor (Morozkin), and Hieromartyrs Alexander
      Krutitskii, Basil Krilov, Basil Smirnov, and Sergius Krotkov at
      Butovo. Finding of the relics of New-Hieromartyr Victor (Ostrovidov),
      Bishop of Glazov. "Bogoliubov" Icon of the Mother of God. Movable
      Feast on the Fourth Sunday after Pentecost: Synaxis of the Saints of
      the Pskov Caves Monastery.

      HOURS

      At all Hours:

      Troparion of St. Leontius
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      8 from the Octoechos

      Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
      Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for

      From paradise didst Thou drive our forefather Adam, who had broken Thy
      commandment, O Christ; but, O Compassionate One, Thou didst cause to
      dwell therein the thief who confessed Thee on the cross, crying out:
      Remember me, O Savior, in Thy kingdom!

      With the curse of death didst Thou condemn us who had sinned, O Lord,
      Bestower of life; yet having suffered in Thy flesh, O sinless Master,
      Thou hast granted life unto mortals who cry out: Remember us also in
      Thy kingdom!

      3. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      In rising from the dead, Thou hast raised us up from the passions with
      Thyself through Thy resurrection, O Lord; and all the power of death
      hast Thou destroyed, O Savior. Wherefore, with faith we cry out to
      Thee: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      4. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      O Thou who as God grantest life, by Thy three days in the tomb Thou
      didst raise up with Thyself the dead in hell, and as One Who is good
      Thou hast poured forth incorruption upon all of us who with faith ever
      cry out: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      5. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Risen from the dead, O Savior, Thou didst first appear to the
      myrrh-bearing women, crying out: Rejoice! and through them Thou
      didst announce Thy resurrection to Thy friends, O Christ. Wherefore,
      with faith we cry out to Thee, Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      6. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      Moses, stretching out his arms on the mountain, prefigured the Cross
      and thus conquered Amelek. And, receiving it with faith as a mighty
      weapon against the demons, we all cry out: Remember us also in Thy
      kingdom!

      7. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      O ye faithful, let us hymn the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, the one
      God, the one Lord, as from a single Sun; for the Trinity is
      thrice-luminous and enlighteneth all who cry out: Remember us also in
      Thy kingdom!

      Rejoice, O portal of God, through which the incarnate Creator passed
      without breaking thy seal! Rejoice, thou light cloud which bore
      Christ, the divine Rain! Rejoice, ladder and throne of heaven!
      Rejoice, honored mountain of God, fruitful and unquarried!

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion,Tone 3: Let the heavens be glad;/ let earthly
      things rejoice; / for the Lord hath wrought might with His arm. / He
      hath trampled down death by death; / the first-born of the dead hath
      He become. / From the belly of Hades / hath He delivered us // and
      hath granted to the world great mercy.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of St. Leontius, Tone 4: In his sufferings O Lord, / Thy
      martyr Leontius hath received an imperishable crown from Thee, our
      God; / for, possessed of Thy might, / he set at nought his tormentors
      and crushed the feeble audacity of the demons. // By his
      supplications save Thou our souls.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 3: Thou didst rise today from the tomb,
      O Merciful One, / and didst lead us out of the gates of death. / Today
      Adam danceth and Eve rejoiceth; / and together with them both the
      prophets and the patriarchs // unceasingly praise the divine might of
      Thine authority.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Glory...

      Kontakion of St. Leontius, Tone 3: Thou didst confound the wicked
      plots of the tyrants, / didst denounce the ungodly religion of the
      Greeks, / and didst shine forth the knowledge of God / upon all men /
      in thy doctrines of piety, / O divinely wise martyr. / Wherefore, with
      love we honor thy memory, // O all-wise Leontius.

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6. O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 3rd Tone: O chant unto our God, chant
      ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Reader: Clap your hands, all ye nations; shout unto God with a voice
      of rejoicing.
      Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Reader: In the 7th Tone: The righteous man shall be glad in the Lord,
      and shall hope in Him.
      Choir: The righteous man shall be glad in the Lord, and shall hope in Him.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Romans.

      [Romans 6:18-23, §93]: Brethren: Being then made free from sin, ye
      became the servants of righteousness. * I speak after the manner of
      men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded
      your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity;
      even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto
      holiness. * For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from
      righteousness. * What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are
      now ashamed? for the end of those things is death. * But now being
      made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit
      unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. * For the wages of sin is
      death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our
      Lord.

      [Acts 12:1-11, §29]: In those days, Herod the king stretched forth
      his hands to vex certain of the church. * And he killed James the
      brother of John with the sword. * And because he saw it pleased the
      Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. (Then were the days of
      unleavened bread.) * And when he had apprehended him, he put him in
      prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him;
      intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people. * Peter
      therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of
      the church unto God for him. * And when Herod would have brought him
      forth, the same night Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound
      with two chains: and the keepers before the door kept the prison. *
      And, behold, the angel of the Lord came upon him, and a light shined
      in the prison: and he smote Peter on the side, and raised him up,
      saying, Arise up quickly. And his chains fell off from his hands. *
      And the angel said unto him, Gird thyself, and bind on thy sandals.
      And so he did. And he saith unto him, Cast thy garment about thee, and
      follow me. * And he went out, and followed him; and wist not that it
      was true which was done by the angel; but thought he saw a vision. *
      When they were past the first and the second ward, they came unto the
      iron gate that leadeth unto the city; which opened to them of his own
      accord: and they went out, and passed on through one street; and
      forthwith the angel departed from him. * And when Peter was come to
      himself, he said, Now I know of a surety, that the LORD hath sent his
      angel, and hath delivered me out of the hand of Herod, and from all
      the expectation of the people of the Jews.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 3rd Tone: In Thee, O Lord, have I hoped, let
      me not be put to shame in the age to come.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Be Thou unto me a God to defend me and a house of refuge to save me.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 4th Tone: The righteous man shall flourish like a palm
      tree, and like a cedar in Lebanon shall he be multiplied.

      [Matthew 8:5-13, §25]: At that time, when Jesus was entered into
      Capernaum, there came unto him a centurion, beseeching him, * And
      saying, Lord, my servant lieth at home sick of the palsy, grievously
      tormented. * And Jesus saith unto him, I will come and heal him. * The
      centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest
      come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be
      healed. * For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me:
      and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he
      cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it. * When Jesus
      heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say
      unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel. * And I
      say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall
      sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.
      * But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer
      darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. * And Jesus
      said unto the centurion, Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be
      it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour.

      [John 15:17-16:2, §52]: The Lord said to His disciples: These things
      I command you, that ye love one another. * If the world hate you, ye
      know that it hated me before it hated you. * If ye were of the world,
      the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but
      I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. *
      Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater
      than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute
      you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also. * But all
      these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they
      know not him that sent me. * If I had not come and spoken unto them,
      they had not had sin: but now they have no cloak for their sin. * He
      that hateth me hateth my Father also. * If I had not done among them
      the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have
      they both seen and hated both me and my Father. * But this cometh to
      pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law,
      They hated me without a cause. * But when the Comforter is come, whom
      I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which
      proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: * And ye also
      shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning. *
      These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended. *
      hey shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that
      whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.

      DOSTOINIK

      It is truly meet...

      COMMUNION

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! In
      everlasting remembrance shall the righteous be; he shall not be afraid
      of evil tidings. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!