As Many as Have Been Baptized ....

  • sjb_60
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2012
      Dear List,

      Wishing you all a Blessed and Holy Pentecost!

      I am looking for As many as have been baptized in Slavonic (obikhod) for a Baptism in a few weeks.

      Any help that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

      Stephen Barrow
    • V.Rev. Samuel Kedala
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2012
        Hi Steve,

        Ya ne maiyou.

        Father Sam

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2012
          Dear Friends –

          Here’s the best I’ve been able to find, given my very poor eyesight at the
          moment.

          http://www.liturgy.ru/pdf/london/45.pdf

          Now, remembering that – like so many other texts we sing – this is a direct
          quote from the scriptures, I’d like to point out that this hymn is seriously
          mistranslated in our most commonly encountered English-language versions.

          Please consult GAL 3:27, refer to expert commentaries and concordances, and
          correct your books to read something like this:

          ‘As many OF YOU as were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves in
          Christ. HaleluYah!’ (3 x)
          Glory. Both now.
          You have clothed yourselves in Christ. HaleluYah!
          As many OF YOU as were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves in
          Christ. HaleluYah!’

          The plural ‘you’ is clearly present in both Greek and Church Slavonic, and
          so its grammatic form is that of second –person-plural direct address, NOT
          third-person descriptive as we find in ‘As many as were baptized….’

          I hope this helps a little.

          Please remember me in your prayers and beg the Lord with me to heal my eyes.

          Peace and blessings of Holy Pentecost to all.

          Monk James