Old Calendar Choir Cues: 7 Pascha, Sunday of the Fathers, 14/27 May 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2012
      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are
      indicated by the sign §, followed by the appropriate number. Please
      note that the Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for
      singing according to the Divine Liturgy book put together by Dr.
      Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford for the materials on his website:
      http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/. I could not undertake this effort
      without his help.

      14/27 May 2012
      7TH SUNDAY OF PASCHA - Tone 6
      Sunday of the Fathers of the First Ecumenical Council; Afterfeast of
      the Ascension
      Epistle: Acts 20:16-18, 28-36 (§44)
      Gospel: John 17:1-13 (§56)

      Afterfeast of the Ascension. Martyr Isidore of Chois
      (Six-Stichera-rank service). Blessed Isidore, Fool-for-Christ and
      wonderworker of Rostov. Venerable Nicetas, Bishop of Novgorod and
      recluse of the Kiev Caves. Martyr Maximus the Merchant. Venerable
      Serapion the Sindonite. St. Leontius, Patriarch of Jerusalem. Martyr
      Mark of Smyrna. Martyr John of Bulgaria. Venerable Andrew, Abbot of
      Tobolsk. Venerable Matthew (Shvetsov). "Jaroslavl," "Terebinsk
      Hermitage," and "Serafimo-Ponetaevsk" Icons of the Mother of God.
      Movable Feasts on the Seventh Sunday of Pascha: Chelnskoi and
      Pskov-Pechersk "Tenderness" Icons of the Mother of God.

      HOURS:

      Third Hour:

      Troparion of the Fathers
      Kontakion of the Fathers

      Sixth Hour:

      Troparion of the Ascension
      Kontakion of the Ascension

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes): 12
      4 from the Canon of the Resurrection; 4 from Ode 4 of the First Canon
      of the Ascension; 4 from Ode 6 of the Canon for the Fathers

      1. Blessed are the poor in spirit, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom, O God my Savior, and save
      me, for Thou alone lovest mankind.

      2. Blessed are they that mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

      By a tree was Adam deceived; yet again by the Tree of the Cross was
      the thief saved, who cried out: Remember me in Thy kingdom, O Lord!

      3. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      O Bestower of life, Who hadst broken down the gates and portals of
      hades, Thou hast saved all who cry out to Thee, O Savior: Glory to
      Thine arising!

      4. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      O Thou Who by Thy burial hast made death captive, and by Thy
      resurrection hast filled all with joy: remember me, in that Thou art
      compassionate.

      Thou wast taken up in glory, O King of the Angels, that Thou mightest
      send us the Comforter from the Father. Wherefore we cry: Glory to
      Thine Ascension, O Christ.

      (Repeats foregoing Sticheron) Thou wast taken up in glory, O King of
      the Angels, that Thou mightest send us the Comforter from the Father.
      Wherefore we cry: Glory to Thine Ascension, O Christ.

      7. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      As the Savior ascended in the flesh unto the Father, the arrays of the
      Angels were astonished at Him and cried: Glory to Thine Ascension, O
      Christ.

      8. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      The hosts of the Angels cried unto those above: Lift up the gates for
      Christ our King; Him do we praise together with the Father and the
      Spirit.

      9. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      The sower of tares, who was called the namesake of madness, was not
      able to escape the unspeakable judgment of providence; for having
      zealously emulated Judas, he, the most evil one, was rent asunder like
      him.

      10. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      The divine and august assembly of the Fathers doth proclaim Thee as
      the Only-begotten Effulgence that shone forth from the essence of the
      Father, and as the Son Who was begotten before all ages, O Master.

      11. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      In a most providential manner, by the prayers of the God-inspired
      priests, literally rent asunder were those bowels, even that source
      that gushed forth the turbid and undrinkable water of impious heresies.

      Moses, great among the Prophets, symbolically wrote aforetime
      concerning thee as an ark, and table, and lamp, and an urn, signifying
      the incarnation of the Most High that took place in thee, O Virgin
      Mother.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 6. Angelic hosts were above Thy tomb, /
      and they that guarded Thee became as dead, / and Mary stood by the
      grave, / seeking Thine immaculate Body; / Thou didst despoil hades and
      wast not tempted by it. / Thou didst meet the Virgin and didst grant
      us life, / O Thou Who didst rise from the dead, // O Lord, glory be to
      Thee.

      Troparion of the Ascension, Tone 4: Thou hast ascended in glory, O
      Christ our God, / having gladdened Thy disciples with the promise of
      the Holy Spirit; / and they were assured by the blessing / that Thou
      art the Son of God, // the Redeemer of the world.

      Troparion of the Fathers, Tone 8: Most glorified art Thou, O Christ
      our God, / Who hast established our holy fathers as luminous stars
      upon the earth, / and through them didst guide us all to the true
      Faith. // O Most merciful One, glory be to Thee.

      Glory...

      Kontakion of the Fathers, Tone 8: The preaching of the apostles and
      the doctrines of the fathers confirmed the one Faith of the Church. /
      And wearing the garment of truth, woven from the theology on high, //
      She rightly divideth and glorifieth the great mystery of piety.

      Both now...

      Kontakion of the Ascension, Tone 6: When Thou didst fulfill Thy
      dispensation for our sake, / uniting things on earth with the heavens,
      / Thou didst ascend in glory, O Christ our God, / departing not hence,
      but remaining inseparable from us, / and crying unto them that love
      Thee: // I am with you, and no one shall be against you.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 4th Tone: Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the
      God of our fathers, and praised and glorified is Thy name unto the
      ages.
      Choir: Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers, and praised
      and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.
      Reader: For righteous art Thou in all which Thou hast done for us.
      Choir: Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers, and praised
      and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.
      Reader: Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers.
      Choir: And praised and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Acts of the Holy Apostles.

      [Acts 20:16-18a, 28-36, §44]: In those days, Paul had determined to
      sail by Ephesus, because he would not spend the time in Asia: for he
      hasted, if it were possible for him, to be at Jerusalem the day of
      Pentecost. * And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus, and called the
      elders of the church. * And when they were come to him, he said unto
      them, Ye know, from the first day that I came into Asia, after what
      manner I have been with you at all seasons, * Take heed therefore unto
      yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath
      made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased
      with his own blood. * For I know this, that after my departing shall
      grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. * Also of
      your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw
      away disciples after them. * Therefore watch, and remember, that by
      the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day
      with tears. * And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word
      of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an
      inheritance among all them which are sanctified. * I have coveted no
      man's silver, or gold, or apparel. * Yea, ye yourselves know, that
      these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were
      with me. * I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye
      ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord
      Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive. * And
      when he had thus spoken, he kneeled down, and prayed with them all.

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 1st Tone:
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: The God of gods, the Lord hath spoken, and He hath called the
      earth from the rising of the sun unto the setting thereof.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Gather together unto Him his holy ones who have established
      His covenant upon sacrifices.

      [John 17:1-13, §56]: At that time, Jesus lifted up his eyes to heaven,
      and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also
      may glorify thee: * As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that
      he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. * And
      this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and
      Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. * I have glorified thee on the
      earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. * And now,
      O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I
      had with thee before the world was. * I have manifested thy name unto
      the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and
      thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. * Now they have
      known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee. * For
      I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have
      received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and
      they have believed that thou didst send me. * I pray for them: I pray
      not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are
      thine. * And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am
      glorified in them. * And now I am no more in the world, but these are
      in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own
      name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. *
      While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those
      that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son
      of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled. * And now come I
      to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have
      my joy fulfilled in themselves.

      ZADOSTOINIK

      Instead of "It is truly meet..." we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of
      the First Canon of the feast, Fifth Tone:

      Refrain: Magnify, O my soul, Him Who hath ascended from earth to
      heaven, Christ the Giver of life.

      Irmos: Thee that art above understanding and word, the Mother of God,
      / that hast ineffably brought forth in time the Timeless One, / we the
      faithful with one accord magnify.

      COMMUNION

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest! Rejoice in
      the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Alleluia,
      Alleluia, Alleluia!

      POST-COMMUNION

      Instead of "We have seen the true light..." we sing the Troparion of
      the Feast of Ascension, Tone 4: Thou hast ascended in glory, O Christ