Old Calendar Choir Cues: Annunciation/Lazarus Saturday, 25 March/7 April 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 9:44 AM
      According to the Typicon, the Service from the Festal Menaion,
      combined with the service from the Triodion.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments. NOTE THAT AT THE
      ZADOSTOINIK, there are two possible variations; please consult with
      your priest as to which usage he prefers.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel
      are now a standard feature, indicated by the sign §, followed by the
      appropriate number.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      25 March/7 April 2012
      THE FEAST OF THE ANNUNCIATION OF THE MOST HOLY THEOTOKOS, combined with
      THE COMMEMORATION OF THE RESURRECTION OF THE RIGHTEOUS LAZARUS, FOUR
      DAYS DEAD - Tone 1

      Epistle:
      For the Annunciation: Hebrews 2:11-18 (§306)
      For Saturday: Hebrews 12:28-13:8 (§333, from the midpoint)

      Gospel:
      For the Annunciation: Luke 1:24-38 (§3)
      For Saturday: John 11:1-45 (§39)

      The Annunciation of our Most Holy Lady, Theotokos and Ever-Virgin
      Mary. St. Tikhon the Confessor, Patriarch of Moscow and of all Russia
      (+1925). Synaxis of the venerable fathers who struggled on Mount
      Sinai.

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Festal Troparion
      Glory...
      Troparion for the Righteous Lazarus
      Both now...
      Festal Troparion
      Festal Kontakion

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Festal Troparion
      Glory...
      Troparion for the Righteous Lazarus
      Both now...
      Festal Troparion
      Kontakion of St. Lazarus

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes): 8 - 4 from Ode 3 of the Festal Canon, 4
      from Ode 6 of the Canon of the Triodion

      Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
      Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for

      “A ruler hath failed from Judah! The following time hath come,
      wherein Christ, the hope of the nations, shall appear! But tell me:
      how shall I, who am a virgin, give birth to Him?”

      “O Virgin, thou seekest to learn from me the manner of thy conceiving;
      yet it is indescribable. The Holy Spirit, overshadowing thee, shall
      accomplish it with His creative power.”

      3. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      “My first mother, accepting the serpent’s knowledge, was driven away
      from divine sustenance; wherefore, I fear thy strange salutation, wary
      lest I stumble.”

      4. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      “I am sent as a divine intercessor to convey to thee the divine
      counsel. Wherefore fearest thou me who am even more in fear of thee,
      O most immaculate one? Why dost thou render homage to me who render
      homage to thee with honor, O Lady?”

      5. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Thou knowest all things, yet hast asked where I was buried. As man by
      nature, Thou hast wept for me, O Savior, and Thou hast raised me from
      the dead by Thy command.

      6. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      “Thou hast called me from the lowest depths of hell, O Savior,” cried
      Lazarus to Thee when Thou hast set him free from hell; “and Thou hast
      raised me from the dead by Thy command.”

      7. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Thou hast clothed me in a body of clay, O Savior, and breathed life
      into me, and I beheld Thy light; and Thou hast raised me from the dead
      by Thy command.

      O marvelous wonder! The Word entered thine undefiled womb, pure
      Virgin Mother, yet preserved it virgin after childbirth.

      LITTLE ENTRANCE

      “O Come let us worship…” is sung as on Sundays.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Festal Troparion, Tone 4: Today is the fountainhead of our salvation /
      and the manifestation of the mystery which was from eternity. / The
      Son of God becometh the Virgin’s Son, / and Gabriel proclaimeth the
      good tidings of grace; / wherefore, we also cry to the Theotokos with
      him: / Rejoice, thou who art full of grace, // the Lord is with thee.

      Troparion of the Righteous Lazarus, Tone 1: In confirming the common
      Resurrection, O Christ God, / Thou didst raise up Lazarus from the
      dead before Thy Passion. / Wherefore, we also, like the children
      bearing the symbols of victory, / cry to Thee the Vanquisher of death:
      / Hosanna in the highest; // blessed is He that cometh in the name of
      the Lord.

      Glory…

      Kontakion of the Righteous Lazarus, Tone 2: Christ, the Joy of all,
      the Truth, the Light, / the Life, the Resurrection of the world, /
      hath, of His goodness, appeared to those on earth, / and become the
      archetype of the Resurrection, // granting divine forgiveness unto
      all.

      Both now…

      Festal Kontakion, Tone 8: To Thee, the Champion Leader, we Thy
      servants dedicate / a feast of victory and of thanksgiving / as ones
      rescued out of sufferings, O Theotokos: / but as Thou art one with
      might which is invincible, / from all dangers that can be do Thou
      deliver us, / that we may cry to Thee: Rejoice, Thou Bride Unwedded!

      AT THE TRISAGION:

      Instead of the Trisagion: As many as have been baptized into Christ
      have put on Christ. Alleluia. (3)
      Glory... Both now... Have put on Christ. Alleluia.
      As many as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. Alleluia.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 4th Tone: Proclaim from day to day the
      good tidings of the salvation of our God.
      Choir: Proclaim from day to day the good tidings of the salvation of our God.
      Reader: O sing unto the Lord a new song, sing unto the Lord all the earth.
      Choir: Proclaim from day to day the good tidings of the salvation of our God.
      Reader. In the 3rd Tone: The Lord is my light and my savior; whom then
      shall I fear?
      Choir: The Lord is my light and my savior; whom then shall I fear?

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Hebrews.

      [Hebrews 2:11-18, §306]: Brethren: Both he that sanctifieth and they
      who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed
      to call them brethren,* Saying, I will declare thy name unto my
      brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee. *3
      And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the
      children which God hath given me. * Forasmuch then as the children are
      partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of
      the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power
      of death, that is, the devil; * And deliver them who through fear of
      death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. * For verily he took
      not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of
      Abraham. * Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto
      his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in
      things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the
      people. * For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is
      able to succour them that are tempted.

      [Hebrews 12: 28-13:8, §333 from the midpoint)]: Brethren: Let us
      have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and
      godly fear: * For our God is a consuming fire. * Let brotherly love
      continue. * Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some
      have entertained angels unawares. * Remember them that are in bonds,
      as bound with them; and them which suffer adversity, as being
      yourselves also in the body. * Marriage is honourable in all, and the
      bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge. * Let
      your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such
      things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor
      forsake thee. * So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and
      I will not fear what man shall do unto me. * Remember them which have
      the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose
      faith follow, considering the end of their conversation. * Jesus
      Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 1st Tone: He shall come down like rain upon a
      fleece, and like raindrops that fall upon the earth.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: His name shall be blessed unto the ages, before the sun doth
      his name continue.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 5th Tone: The Lord is King, He is clothed with majesty.

      [Luke 1:24-38, §3]: After those days the wife of Zacharias,
      Elisabeth, conceived, and hid herself five months, saying, * Thus hath
      the Lord dealt with me in the days wherein he looked on me, to take
      away my reproach among men. * And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel
      was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth, * To a
      virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David;
      and the virgin's name was Mary. * And the angel came in unto her, and
      said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee:
      blessed art thou among women. * And when she saw him, she was troubled
      at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this
      should be. * And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou
      hast found favour with God. * And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy
      womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. * He shall
      be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God
      shall give unto him the throne of his father David: * And he shall
      reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall
      be no end. * Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing
      I know not a man? * And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy
      Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall
      overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of
      thee shall be called the Son of God. * And, behold, thy cousin
      Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is
      the sixth month with her, who was called barren. * For with God
      nothing shall be impossible. * And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of
      the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed
      from her.

      [John 11:1-45, §39]: At that time, a certain man was sick, named
      Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha. * (It was
      that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet
      with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.) * Therefore his
      sisters sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is
      sick. * When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto
      death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be
      glorified thereby. * Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and
      Lazarus. * When he had heard therefore that he was sick, he abode two
      days still in the same place where he was. * Then after that saith he
      to his disciples, Let us go into Judaea again. * His disciples say
      unto him, Master, the Jews of late sought to stone thee; and goest
      thou thither again? * Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in
      the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he
      seeth the light of this world. * But if a man walk in the night, he
      stumbleth, because there is no light in him. * These things said he:
      and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I
      go, that I may awake him out of sleep. * Then said his disciples,
      Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well. * Howbeit Jesus spake of his
      death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
      * Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead. * And I am glad
      for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe;
      nevertheless let us go unto him. * Then said Thomas, which is called
      Didymus, unto his fellowdisciples, Let us also go, that we may die
      with him. * Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the
      grave four days already. * Now Bethany was nigh unto Jerusalem, about
      fifteen furlongs off: * And many of the Jews came to Martha and Mary,
      to comfort them concerning their brother. * Then Martha, as soon as
      she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him: but Mary sat still
      in the house. * Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been
      here, my brother had not died. * But I know, that even now, whatsoever
      thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee. * Jesus saith unto her,
      Thy brother shall rise again. * Martha saith unto him, I know that he
      shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day. * Jesus said
      unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in
      me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: * And whosoever liveth and
      believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? * She saith unto
      him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God,
      which should come into the world. * And when she had so said, she went
      her way, and called Mary her sister secretly, saying, The Master is
      come, and calleth for thee. * As soon as she heard that, she arose
      quickly, and came unto him. * Now Jesus was not yet come into the
      town, but was in that place where Martha met him. * The Jews then
      which were with her in the house, and comforted her, when they saw
      Mary, that she rose up hastily and went out, followed her, saying, She
      goeth unto the grave to weep there. * Then when Mary was come where
      Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him,
      Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. * When Jesus
      therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with
      her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled. * And said, Where
      have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see. * Jesus
      wept. * Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him! * And some of
      them said, Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind,
      have caused that even this man should not have died? * Jesus therefore
      again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a
      stone lay upon it. * Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the
      sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he
      stinketh: for he hath been dead four days. * Jesus saith unto her,
      Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest
      see the glory of God? * Then they took away the stone from the place
      where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said,
      Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me. * And I knew that thou
      hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it,
      that they may believe that thou hast sent me. * And when he thus had
      spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth. * And he that
      was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his
      face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him,
      and let him go. * Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had
      seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him.

      ZADOSTOINIK

      Instead of “It is truly meet…” we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of
      the Canon of the feast, Fourth Tone:

      Refrain: Proclaim, O earth, good tidings of great joy; ye
      heavens, praise the glory of God.

      Irmos: Let no profane hand touch the living Ark of God,
      but let the lips of the faithful, chanting unceasingly the words of
      the angel to the Theotokos, with joy cry out: Rejoice, thou who art
      full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

      But according to other texts (such as the Festal Menaion), after the
      above refrain, we chant instead (also in the fourth tone):

      Let every mortal born on earth, radiant with light, in
      spirit leap for joy; and let the host of the angelic powers celebrate
      and honor the holy feast of the Mother of God, and let them cry:
      Rejoice! Pure and blessed Ever-Virgin, who gavest birth to God.

      COMMUNION VERSE

      The Lord hath elected Zion, He hath chosen her to be a habitation for
      Himself. Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings hast Thou perfected
      praise. Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!