Re: [ustav] Re: End of Forgiveness Vespers

  • Fr David Straut
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 26, 2012
      In my experience, a full prostration before each person (minus, of course
      the Sign of the Cross that precedes a prostration of veneration) saying
      "Forgive me, a sinner." The other says, "God forgives." He then prostrates
      and there is the the same dialogue. Then that person moves to the right of
      the first person and the process continues.

      Fr David Straut

      On 26 February 2012 04:04, Aidanus <hieromonachusaidanus@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Bows, at that point, or prostrations?
      >
      > Fr. Aidan+
      > sinner
      >
      > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Elias G. Gorsky" <egorsky@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > In ROCOR, in parishes (where the compline is not served), instead of the
      > > dismissal, the compline's prayer of forgiveness is said by the priest as
      > > part of the rite of forgiveness, with appropriate bows.
      > >

      > > p. Ilya
      > >

      > > _____

    • Elias G. Gorsky
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 26, 2012
        Sorry, prostrations.

        In our parish, one prostration is made by the priest after a sermon, with a
        general prostration by the people. Individual prostrations are no made as
        the parishioners approach the priest, kissing the cross and asking
        forgiveness of each other.

        _____

        > In ROCOR, in parishes (where the compline is not served), instead of the
        > dismissal, the compline's prayer of forgiveness is said by the priest as
        > part of the rite of forgiveness, with appropriate bows.
        >

        > p. Ilya
        >

        > _____
        >
        > From: ustav@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ustav%40yahoogroups.com>
        > One Orthodox peritus wrote me to say that, indeed, the "Through the
        prayers
        > of our holy fathers" ending is exclusively Greek.
        >
        > Thus, in our ROCOR parish this Sunday, we wouldn't use it.
        >
        > Any other thoughts?
        >
        > Fr. Aidan+
        > sinner
        >
        > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ustav%40yahoogroups.com>
        <mailto:ustav%40yahoogroups.com> , "Aidanus"
        > <hieromonachusaidanus@> wrote:
        > >
        > > In the Lenten Triodion, a book which was a production from within the
        > Greek Orthodox Church, Forgiveness Sunday Vespers ends with "Through the
        > prayers of our holy fathers," etc.
        > >
        > > Is that not a specifically Greek custom? We don't do that in the Russian
        > Church, do we?

      • Aidanus
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 28, 2012
          Mark of the True Faith: rubbery legs on Forgiveness Sunday evening!