Old Calendar Choir Cues: Triodion 1, 23 January/5 February 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2012
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Vigil-rank
      service for the Holy New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia, combined
      with the Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee (the relevant
      sections can be found on pp.149-150 in Volume 3 of the Order of Divine
      Services). The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple
      dedicated to a Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to
      the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please send them to me as soon as possible at
      woolfolk3@..., so that corrected versions may be distributed in
      a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from
      other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and
      Gospel are now a standard feature, indicated by the sign § and the
      appropriate number. A reminder: The Resurrectional Troparion and
      Kontakion are pointed for chanting according to the book put together
      by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      23 January/5 February 2012

      Triodion 1 -- Tone 1
      Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee, combined with the Feast of
      the Holy New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday: 2 Timothy 3:10-15 (§296)
      For the New Martyrs: Romans 8:28-39 (§99)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday: Luke 18:10-14 (§89)
      For the New Martyrs: Luke 21:12-19 (§106)

      Holy New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia (Vigil-rank Feast).
      Hieromartyr Clement, Bishop of Ancyra, and Martyr Agathangelus. St.
      Paulinus the Merciful, Bishop of Nola. Venerable Mausimas the Syrian.
      Venerable Salamanes the Silent of the Euphrates. Venerable Gennadius
      of Kostroma. Translation of the relics of St. Theoctistus, Archbishop
      of Novgorod. Venerable Eusebius. New Monk-Martyr Serafim.
      Nun-Martyrs Eudocia and Catherine, and Martyr Milica at Butovo.
      Commemoration of Sixth Ecumenical Council. Synaxis of the Saints of
      Kostroma.

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Troparion of the New Martyrs
      Kontakion of the Triodion

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Troparion of the New Martyrs
      Kontakion of the New Martyrs

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes): 12 Troparia: 4 from the Octoechos; 4 from
      Ode 3 of the Canon of the Triodion; 4 from the Saints.

      1. Blessed are the poor in spirit, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Through food did the enemy lead Adam forth from paradise; but by the
      Cross hath Christ led back to it the thief who cried: Remember me
      when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      2. Blessed are they that mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

      With Adam and the thief I worship Thy sufferings and glorify Thy
      resurrection; and I cry out with a splendid voice: Remember me, O
      Lord, when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      3. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      O Sinless One, of Thine own will Thou wast crucified and placed in the
      Tomb, yet Thou didst arise as God, raising up with Thyself Adam who
      crieth out: Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      4. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      Raising up the temple of Thy body by Thy resurrection on the third
      day, O Christ God, Thou didst raise up Adam and his descendants who
      cry: Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      From the dung-hill of the passions the humble is lifted up on high,
      while the proudhearted suffers a grievous fall from the height of the
      virtues: Let us flee from his evil ways.

      Vainglory brings to nothing the riches of righteousness, but humility
      scatters a multitude of passions. Grant then that we may seek
      humility, O Savior, and do Thou bestow upon us the portion of the
      Publican.

      7. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      As the Publican let us also beat our breast and cry out in
      compunction, “God be merciful unto us sinners”, that like him we may
      receive forgiveness.

      8. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      O ye faithful, let us increase in zeal and meekness, and let us pass
      our days in humility, with cries of sorrow from our heart and weeping
      and prayer, that we may receive forgiveness from God.

      9. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Remember, O Lord, the dreadful torments which the new passion-bearers
      suffered for Thee, who have now sprouted forth from our race; and
      accept their entreaties for our salvation.

      10. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      O righteous Judge, Thou hast opened the kingdom of heaven unto the
      confessors of the Church of Russia. Hearken, O Lord, unto their
      righteousness, and give ear unto their supplication for the salvation
      of our souls.

      11. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      O most divine Trinity, return us from our captivity! We know that sin
      hath increased in our land more than ever before; yet grace also hath
      shone forth in the struggle of the new saints, who also entreat Thee,
      O thrice-holy God, for the salvation of our souls.

      Gather the dispersed; raise up the faint-hearted; call them that have
      renounced the holy Faith and convert them, O gracious and all-pure
      Virgin Mary, entreating Christ the Savior, with the holy new martyrs
      and confessors, for the forgiveness and salvation of our souls.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 1: When the stone had been sealed by
      the Jews, / and the soldiers were guarding Thine immaculate Body, /
      Thou didst rise on the third day, O Savior, / granting life unto the
      world. / Wherefore, the hosts of the Heavens cried out to Thee, O
      Life-Giver: / Glory to Thy Resurrection, O Christ! / Glory to Thy
      Kingdom! // Glory to Thy dispensation, O only Lover of mankind!

      Tropario of the New-Martyrs, Tone 4: O ye holy hierarchs, royal
      passion-bearers and pastors, / monks and laymen, men, women and
      children, / ye countless new-martyrs, confessors, / blossoms of the
      spiritual meadow of Russia, / who blossomed forth wondrously in time
      of grievous persecutions / bearing good fruit for Christ in your
      endurance: / Entreat Him, as the One that planted you, / that He
      deliver His people from godless and evil men, / and that the Church of
      Russia / be made steadfast through your blood and suffering, // unto
      the salvation of our souls.

      Glory…

      Kontakion of the New-Martyrs, Tone 2: O ye new passion-bearers of
      Russia, / who have with your confession finished the course of this
      earth, / receiving boldness through your sufferings: / Beseech Christ
      Who strengthened you, / that we also, whenever the hour of trial find
      us / may receive the gift of courage from God. / For ye are a witness
      to us who venerate your struggle, / that neither tribulation, prison,
      nor death // can separate us from the love of God.

      Both now...

      Kontakion from the Triodion, Tone 3: Unto the Lord let us sinners
      offer groanings like those of the Publican / and let us fall down
      before Him, as He is Master. / For He desireth the salvation of all
      men; / He granteth forgiveness unto all that repent. / For our sake
      He became incarnate, // He who with the Father is co-unoriginate God.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 1st Tone: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be
      upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Reader: Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright.
      Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 7th Tone: For Thy sake, O Lord, we are
      slain all the day long.
      Choir: For Thy sake, O Lord, we are slain all the day long.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Second Epistle of the Holy Apostle
      Paul to Timothy.

      [2 Timothy 3:10-15, §296]: Timothy, my son: Thou hast fully known my
      doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity,
      patience, * Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch,
      at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them
      all the Lord delivered me. * Yea, and all that will live godly in
      Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. * But evil men and seducers
      shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived. * But
      continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been
      assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; * And that from a
      child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee
      wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

      [Romans 8:28-39, §99]: Brethren: We know that all things work
      together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called
      according to his purpose. * For whom he did foreknow, he also did
      predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be
      the firstborn among many brethren. * Moreover whom he did
      predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also
      justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. * What shall
      we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
      * He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how
      shall he not with him also freely give us all things? * Who shall lay
      any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. *
      Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is
      risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh
      intercession for us. * Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?
      shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or
      nakedness, or peril, or sword? * As it is written, For thy sake we are
      killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
      * Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him
      that loved us. * For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor
      angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things
      to come, * Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be
      able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our
      Lord.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 1st Tone: O God who givest avengement unto me
      and hast subdued people under me.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: It is He that magnifieth the salvation of His king and
      worketh mercy for His anointed, for David and for His seed unto
      eternity.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 4th tone: The righteous cried, and the Lord heard them,
      and He delivered them out of all their tribulations

      [Luke 18:10-14, §89]: The Lord spoke this parable: Two men went up
      into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
      * The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee,
      that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or
      even as this publican. * I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of
      all that I possess. * And the publican, standing afar off, would not
      lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast,
      saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. * I tell you, this man went
      down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that
      exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall
      be exalted.

      [Luke 21:12-19, §106]: The Lord said to His disciples: Before all
      these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you,
      delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought
      before kings and rulers for my name's sake. * And it shall turn to you
      for a testimony. * Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate
      before what ye shall answer: * For I will give you a mouth and wisdom,
      which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist. *
      And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks,
      and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death. *
      And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake. * But there shall
      not an hair of your head perish. * In your patience possess ye your
      souls.

      DOSTOINIK

      It is truly meet...

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest! Rejoice in
      the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Alleluia!
      Alleluia! Alleluia!