[ustav] Choir Cues: 14 Pentecost 23 Aug / 5 Sept 1999

  • Dr. Elizabeth W. Riggs
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 1999
      Usual Disclaimer about spelling, and other errors. etc.

      As I understand the Order of Divine Services, the Apodosis
      of the Dormition takes precedence, and most of the variable
      parts of the service are from the service for the Dormition.

      For the Troparia for the Beatitudes, I used 2 Troparia from
      the first canon and 2 Troparia from the second canon.

      In Christ,
      Elizabeth Riggs

      23 Aug / 5 Sept 1999

      14TH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
      (Tone 5)
      Sunday Readings:
      2 Corinthians 1:21-2:4 Matthew 22:1-14
      Apodosis of the Feast of the Dormition
      Philemon 2:5-11 Luke 10:38-42; 11:27-28
      Martyr Luppus, slave of St. Demetrius of Thessalonica
      Hieromartyr Irenaeus, bishop of Lyons; St. Callinicus,
      patriarch of Constantinople; Saints Eutychius and
      Florentius of Nursia; Martyr Tydfil of Merthyr Tydfil; 38
      Martyrs of Thrace; St. Nicholas the Sicilian who
      struggled on Mt. Neotaka in Euboea..

      Reader and Choir Cues

      Hours: 3rd Hour: Troparia: Resurrection; Glory...; of
      the Dormition
      Kontakion: Of the Resurrection
      6th Hour: Troparia: Resurrection; Glory...; of
      the Dormition
      Kontakion: of the Dormition

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      10 Troparia: 6 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode IX of the
      Canon for the Dormition

      The thief on the cross believing Thee to be God
      confessed Thee earnestly from his heart, crying aloud: O
      Lord, remember me in Thy Kingdom.

      Let us with one accord praise as Saviour and Creator
      Him Who made life flower for our kind by the wood of the
      Cross and Who withered the curse coming from the tree.

      By Thy death, O Christ, Thou hast destroyed the
      might of death and hast raised with Thyself those dead from
      the ages praising Thee as our true God and Saviour.

      The holy women having come to Thy tomb, O Christ,
      sought to anoint Thee, Giver of life, with myrrh and an
      angel appeared to them crying aloud: The Lord is risen.

      Thou hast been crucified, O Christ, between two
      condemned thieves and one of them blaspheming Thee was
      rightly sentenced while the other, confessing Thee, went to
      dwell in Paradise.

      The holy women coming to the choir of the apostles
      lifted their voices crying: Christ is risen. Worship ye Him
      as Master and Creator.

      The angelic hosts were amazed, seeing their master
      in Sion, bearing in His arms a woman's soul; for as befitteth
      a Son, He exclaimed to her in all-pure manner: Come, O
      pure one, and be glorified with they Son and God!

      The choir of angels buried thy body, which had
      received God, gazing upon it with fear, and exclaiming
      with a loud voice: O Theotokos who ascendest to thy Son
      in the heavenly mansions, thou ever savest thine
      inheritance!

      Come ye to Sion, the divine and fertile mountain of
      the Theotokos; for Christ hath translated her, as His
      Mother, to the holy of Holies of a far better and divine
      tabernacle.

      Come, ye faithful, let us approach the tomb of the
      mother of God and kiss it with hearts and lips, touching to
      it your eyes and faces, and drawing gifts of abundant
      healings from the ever-flowing fountain.

      Troparion of the Resurrection
      (Tone 5)
      Let us, O faithful, praise and worship the Word /
      Who is co-unoriginate with the Father and the Spirit, / and
      Who was born of the Virgin for our salvation; / for He was
      pleased to ascend the Cross in the flesh / and to endure
      death, / and to raise the dead // by His glorious
      Resurrection.

      Troparion for the Dormition of the Theotokos
      (Tone 1)
      In giving birth thou didst preserve thy virginity, / and
      in thy falling asleep thou hast not forsaken the world, O
      Theotokos. / Thou hast been translated to life, as thou art
      the Mother of Life, // And by thy supplications thou dost
      deliver our souls from death.

      Glory . . .

      Kontakion of the Resurrection

      Unto Hades, O my Saviour, / didst Thou descend, /
      and having broken its gates as One omnipotent, / Thou, as
      Creator, / didst raise up the dead together with Thyself. /
      And Thou didst break the sting of death, / and didst deliver
      Adam from the curse, / O Lover of mankind. // Wherefore,
      we all cry unto Thee: Save us, O Lord.

      Both now and ever . . .

      Kontakion of the Dormition
      (Tone 2)
      The tomb and mortality / could not hold the
      Theotokos, / who is untiring in her supplications / and our
      certain hope in her intercessions. / For as the Mother of
      Life, / she hath passed over to the Life // Who dwelt within
      her evervirgin womb.

      The Prokeimenon in the 5th Tone

      Thou, O Lord, shalt keep us and shalt preserve us //
      from this generation and forevermore. (Ps. 11:7)

      Vs/ Save me, O Lord, for a righteous man there is no
      more. (Ps. 11:1)

      And in the 3rd Tone

      My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath
      rejoiced in God my Savior.

      Epistle: (2 Corinthians 1:21-2:4; Philemon 2:5-11)

      Brethren: Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ,
      and hath anointed us, is God; Who hath also sealed us, and
      given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts. Moreover I call
      God for a record upon my soul, that to spare you I came not
      as yet unto Corinth. Not for that we have dominion over
      your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand.
      But I determined this with myself, that I would not come
      again to you in heaviness. For if I make you sorry, who is
      he then that maketh me glad, but the same which is made
      sorry by me? And I wrote this same unto you, lest, when I
      came, I should have sorrow from them of whom I ought to
      rejoice; having confidence in you all, that my joy is the joy
      of you all. For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I
      wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be
      grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more
      abundantly unto you.

      Brethren: Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ
      Jesus: who, being in the form of God, thought it not
      robbery to be equal with God: but made Himself of no
      reputation, and took upon Himself the form of a servant,
      and was made in the likeness of men: and being found in
      fashion as a man, He humbled Himself, and became
      obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore
      God also hath exalted Him, and given him a name which is
      above every name: that at the name of Jesus every knee
      should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and
      things under the earth; and that evey tongue should confess
      that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

      Priest: Peace be unto the one who has read.
      Reader: And to thy spirit.

      The Alleluia in the 5th Tone

      (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Of Thy mercies, O Lord will I sing for ever. Unto
      generation and generation will I declare Thy truth with my
      mouth. (Ps 88:1,2)

      Vs/ For Thou hast said: Mercy shall be built up for
      ever. In the heavens shall Thy truth be established. (Ps.
      88:3)

      And in the 2nd Tone

      Arise, O Lord, into Thy rest, Thou and the ark of thy
      holiness.

      Gospel: (Matthew 22:1-14;
      Luke 10:38-42; 11:27-28)

      At that time, Jesus answered and spake unto them again by
      parables, and said, The kingdom of heaven is like unto a
      certain king, which made a marriage for his son, And sent
      forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the
      wedding: and they would not come. Again, he sent forth
      other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold,
      I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are
      killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage. But
      they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm,
      another to his merchandise: And the remnant took his
      servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them. But
      when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent
      forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned
      up their city. Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is
      ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy. Go ye
      therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find,
      bid to the marriage. So those servants went out into the
      highways, and gathered together all as many as they found,
      both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with
      guests. And when the king came in to see the guests, he
      saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: And
      he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not
      having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. Then
      said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and
      take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall
      be weeping and gnashing of teeth. For many are called, but
      few are chosen.

      At that time, Jesus entered into a certain village: and a
      certain woman named Martha received him into her house.
      And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus'
      feet, and heard his word. But Martha was cumbered about
      much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou
      not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her
      therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said
      unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled
      about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary
      hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away
      from her.

      And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain
      woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto
      him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps
      which thou hast sucked. But he said, Yea rather, blessed are
      they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

      Instead of "It is Truly Meet..." we sing the Refrain and
      Irmos of Ode IX of the feast:

      The angelic hosts were amazed, seeing their master
      in Sion, bearing in His arms a woman's soul; for as befitteth
      a Son, He exclaimed to her in all-pure manner: Come, O
      pure one, and be glorified with thy Son and God!

      In thee are the laws of nature overcome, O pure
      Virgin, for thy birthgiving is virginal and death is betrothed
      to life. A virgin giving birth and alive after death, O
      Theotokos, thou hast save thine inheritance.

      Communion Verse

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise him in the
      highest.

      I will take the cup of salvation and call upon the
      name of the Lord.

      Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

      Dismissal