Old Calendar Choir Cues: 32 Pentecost, 9/22 January 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2012
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Polyeleos-rank
      service for St. Phililp, Metropolitan of Moscow, and the Afterfeast of
      Theophany (§1F2 in the Order of Divine Services). The order for
      Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint. If your
      temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos, please make the
      appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please send them to me as soon as possible at
      woolfolk3@..., so that corrected versions may be distributed in
      a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from
      other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and
      Gospel are now a standard feature, indicated by the sign § and the
      appropriate number. A reminder: The Resurrectional Troparion and
      Kontakion are pointed for chanting according to the book put together
      by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      9/22 January 2012

      Thirty-Second Sunday after Pentecost -- Tone 7

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday after Theophany: Ephesians 4:7-13 (§224, from the midpoint)
      For St. Philip: Hebrews 13:17-21 (§335)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday after Theophany: Matthew 4:12-17 (§8)
      For St. Philip: John 10:9-16 (§36)

      Afterfeast of Theophany. Martyr Polyeuctus of Melitene in Armenia.
      Hieromartyr Philip, Metropolitan of Moscow and All Russia
      (Polyeleos-rank service). Venerable Eustratius the Wonderworker.
      Holy Prophet Shemaiah. St. Peter, Bishop of Sebaste in Armenia.
      Venerable Jonah of Kiev (Peter, in the Schema).

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Troparion of St. Philip
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Festal Troparion
      Troparion of St. Philip

      Note: There was a bit of a dust-up on one of the lists about the
      order of the Kontakia for last week's Cues (by the way, you're
      supposed to send corrections to *me*, not to the List at large). So I
      am quoting from the Liturgical Calendar on the subject of the Hours:
      "Troparia: Resurrection; G; Feast & Hierarch, alternating; Kontakion:
      Feast, Resurrection, & Hierarch, alternating." I am told that this
      means that the Festal Kontakion is sung at the First and Ninth Hours,
      the Resurrectional at the Third, and the Kontakion of the Saint at the
      Sixth. If anyone knows differently, please let me know at
      woolfolk3@.... Thank you.

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes): 12 Troparia: 4 from the Octoechos; 4 from
      Ode 3 of the Canon of the Feast; 4 from Ode 6 of the Canon of St.
      Philip.

      1. Blessed are the poor in spirit, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      The fruit which slew me was beautiful and good to eat; but Christ is
      the Tree of life, and eating of Him I do not die, but cry out with the
      thief: Remember me, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

      2. Blessed are they that mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

      O Compassionate One, Who wast lifted up upon the Cross, Thou hast
      erased the record of Adam’s ancient sin, and hast saved the whole
      human race from deception. Wherefore, we hymn Thee, O Lord and
      Benefactor.

      3. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      Thou didst nail our sins to the Cross, O compassionate Christ, and by
      Thy death Thou didst slay death, O Thou who didst raise up the dead
      from among the dead. Wherefore, we worship Thy holy resurrection.

      4. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      The serpent once poured its venom into the ears of Eve; but on the
      tree of the Cross, Christ poured forth the sweetness of life upon the
      world. Wherefore, we cry out: Remember us, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

      Who hath ever seen the sun cleansed, which is most bright by nature?
      the herald crieth out. Am I then to wash with water Thee, the
      Effulgence of glory, the Image of the ever-existent Father? Am I, who
      am grass, to touch Thy divinity? For Thou art Christ, the Wisdom and
      Power of God!

      When he happened upon Thee, Moses showed the divine reverence he felt,
      for he understood that it was Thee Who spake out of the bush; and he
      straightway averted his face. How, then, can I gaze directly at Thee?
      How can I touch Thee with my hand? For Thou art Christ, the Wisdom and
      Power of God!

      7. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      O most radiant Word, Who hast been sent forth by the Father, Thou
      comest to repel utterly the night of evil darkness and to uproot the
      sins of men, and by Thy baptism to draw forth children of light from
      the streams of the Jordan, O Good One.

      8. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      When he saw in very truth the Word Who had been foretold, the herald
      bore witness of Him to creation, and cried, plainly saying, This is He
      Who was before me, yet cometh after. Though like us in form, He hath
      shone forth with divine power to take away our hateful sin!

      9. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Thou didst make it thy general concern that those cared for by thee be
      one in soul and heart, O glorious one, abiding in the one Faith of
      Christ; thou didst uproot heathen customs, O wise one, and didst teach
      them to avoid divisions.

      10. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      Moved by zeal for Christ, thou didst try to turn the rage of the
      sovereign into meekness, and wast in nowise daunted by the threats of
      the tsar, for, as thou art a doer of the commandments of Christ, thou
      didst show thyself to be a mighty and brave warrior, suffering for thy
      flock even unto death with rejoicing.

      11. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      We see thee, O holy hierarch Philip, as a light-bearing ray shining
      upon those in the darkness of life, and as an inextinguishable lamp
      burning with the immaterial Light, illuming all the ends of the earth
      and removing the gloom of ignorance.

      In godly manner Moses, among the prophets, once prefigured thee, O
      most immaculate one, as a tablet of the law, the lampstand of the
      Light, the tabernacle, the rod which budded forth, the jar containing
      the Manna, and the ladder whereby we are led up from earth to the
      heights of heaven.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 7. Thou didst destroy death by Thy
      Cross, / Thou didst open paradise to the thief, / Thou didst change
      the lamentation of the myrrh-bearers, / and Thou didst command Thine
      Apostles / to proclaim that Thou didst arise, O Christ God, // and
      grantest to the world great mercy.

      Festal Troparion, Tone 1, When Thou, wast baptized in the Jordan, O
      Lord, / the worship of the Trinity was made manifest; / for the voice
      of the Father bare witness to Thee, / calling Thee His beloved Son. /
      And the Spirit in the form of a dove / confirmed the certainty of the
      word. / O Christ our God, Who hast appeared and hast enlightened the
      world, // glory be to Thee.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of St. Philip, Tone 8: O successor of the primates of
      Russia, pillar of Orthodoxy, champion of the Truth, / new confessor,
      holy hierarch Philip, thou didst law down thy life for thy flock: /
      wherefore, as thou hast boldness before Christ, pray thou for this
      city // and the people who honor thy holy memory as is meet.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 7: No longer will the dominion of
      death / be able to keep men captive, / for Christ hath descended,
      demolishing and destroying the powers thereof. / Hades is bound; the
      prophets rejoice with one voice, saying: / A Savior hath come for them
      that have faith! // Come forth, ye faithful, for the Resurrection!

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Glory…

      Kontakion of St. Philip, Tone 3: Let us praise the all-wise Philip, /
      the instructor of Orthodoxy, the proclaimer of the Truth, the luminary
      of Russia, / who noetically feedeth his children with the food of his
      words; / for with his tongue he sang praise, / nd with his lips he
      chanted hymnody, // as an initiate of the mysteries of the grace of
      God.

      Both now...

      Festal Kontakion, Tone 4: Thou hast appeared today unto the whole
      world, / and Thy light, O Lord, hath been signed upon us / who with
      knowledge chant unto Thee: / Thou hast come, Thou hast appeared, // O
      Light Unapproachable.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 1st Tone: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be
      upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Reader: Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright.
      Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Reader: In the Same Tone: My mouth shall speak wisdom and the
      meditation of my heart shall be of understanding.
      Choir: My mouth shall speak wisdom and the meditation of my heart
      shall be of understanding.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to Ephesians.

      [Ephesians 4:7-13, §224 from the midpoint]: Brethren: Unto every one
      of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ. *
      Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity
      captive, and gave gifts unto men. * (Now that he ascended, what is it
      but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? *
      He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all
      heavens, that he might fill all things.) * And he gave some, apostles;
      and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and
      teachers; * For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the
      ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: * Till we all come
      in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God,
      unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of
      Christ:

      [Hebrews 13:17-21, §335]: Brethren: Obey them that have the rule
      over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as
      they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not
      with grief: for that is unprofitable for you. * Pray for us: for we
      trust we have a good conscience, in all things willing to live
      honestly. * But I beseech you the rather to do this, that I may be
      restored to you the sooner. * Now the God of peace, that brought again
      from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep,
      through the blood of the everlasting covenant, * Make you perfect in
      every good work to do his will, working in you that which is
      wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for
      ever and ever. Amen.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 5th Tone: Of Thy mercies, O Lord, will I sing
      for ever. Unto generation will I declare Thy truth with my mouth.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: For Thou hast said: Mercy shall be built up for ever. In the
      heavens shall Thy truth be established.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 2nd Tone: The mouth of the righteous shall meditate
      wisdom, and his tongue shall speak of judgment.

      [Matthew 4:12-17, §8]: At that time, when Jesus had heard that John
      was cast into prison, he departed into Galilee; * And leaving
      Nazareth, he came and dwelt in Capernaum, which is upon the sea coast,
      in the borders of Zabulon and Nephthalim: * That it might be fulfilled
      which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, * The land of Zabulon,
      and the land of Nephthalim, by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan,
      Galilee of the Gentiles; * The people which sat in darkness saw great
      light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light
      is sprung up. * From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say,
      Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

      [John 10:9-16, §36]: The Lord said: I am the door: by me if any man
      enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find
      pasture. * The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to
      destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have
      it more abundantly. * I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth
      his life for the sheep. * But he that is an hireling, and not the
      shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and
      leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and
      scattereth the sheep. * The hireling fleeth, because he is an
      hireling, and careth not for the sheep. * I am the good shepherd, and
      know my sheep, and am known of mine. * As the Father knoweth me, even
      so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. * And
      other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must
      bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and
      one shepherd.

      ZADOSTOINIK

      Instead of “It is truly meet…” we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of
      the First Canon of the feast, Second Tone:

      Refrain: Magnify, O my soul, her who is more honorable than the host
      on high, the most pure Virgin Theotokos.

      Irmos: Every tongue is at a loss to praise thee as is due: * even a
      spirit from the world above is filled with dizziness, when it seeketh
      to sing thy praises, O Theotokos. * But since thou art good, accept
      our faith: * Thou knowest well our love inspired by God,
      * for thou art the Protector of Christians and we magnify thee.

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest! In
      everlasting remembrance shall the righteous be; he shall not be afraid
      of evil tidings. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!