Re: Source for Podobny in English?

  • starina77
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 16, 2012
      Yes, Meg, there are Special Melodies in Tones 3 and 7, but none in the common repertoire (at least for the Russian Church). As you have probably already figured out, Tones 1/5, 2/6, 3/7 and 4/8 are paired and have some overlapping characteristics or qualities. (I don't know how much this is apparent in Byzantine Chant, but in Russian Znamenny Chant it is particularly noticeable.) Furthermore, the composers of our services for the holidays and saints specifically chose to use Tones originally having qualities which complemented the subject matter. So, we see lots of stichera (automela/samoglasny and prosomoia/podobny, that is, unique melodies and special melodies) that were composed in Tones 1, 2, 4, 6 and 8. Tone 5 is slightly less common, but Tones 3 and 7 are much less common. Thus, there are no podobny in the common repertoire for these Tones. It doesn't mean that none exist, only that there are none used in the Russian-based tradition.

      Nikita

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 17, 2012
        This is true of the znamenny chant, but when the "Bulgarian" chant was added to the repertory (too late to be accepted in the Old Rite) it included some troparia automela, a category that had apparently never been covered by Znamenny chant. Among these are at least two in Tone 3: "Today the Virgin" and "Awed by the beauty of thy virginity." "Today the Virgin" has become familiar even in the New-Rite Great-Russian tradition, which adopted very little of the total "Bulgarian" corpus, but is not applied to the numerous podobny.

        Stephen