Old Calendar Choir Cues: 20 Pentecost, 17/30 October 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2011
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a simple service
      for the Monk-martyr Andrew of Crete (§1A in the Order of Divine
      Services). The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple
      dedicated to a Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to
      the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please let me know as soon as possible to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel
      are now a standard feature, indicated by the sign § and the
      appropriate number. A reminder: The Resurrectional Troparion and
      Kontakion are pointed for chanting according to the book put together
      by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford for the materials on his website
      (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort
      without his help.

      17/30 October 2011

      TWENTIETH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST -- Tone 3

      Epistle:
      Galatians 1:11-19 (§200)

      Gospel:
      Luke 8:5-15 (§35)

      Twentieth Sunday after Pentecost. Holy Prophet Hosea. Monk-martyr
      Andrew of Crete. Translation of the relics of the Lazarus "of the
      Four Days" to Constantinople. Martyrs and Unmercenary Healers Cosmas
      and Damian in Cilicia, Arabia, with their brothers Leontius, Anthimus,
      and Eutropius. Hieromartyr Hero, Bishop of Antioch. Martyr Shushanik
      (Susanna), Princess of Ransk. Venerable Anthony, Abbot of Leokhnov,
      Novgorod. St. Joseph the Wonderworker, Catholicos Patriarch of
      Georgia. New-Heiromartyr Alexander (Shchukin), Archbishop of
      Semipalatinsk (1937).

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Troparion of St. Andrew
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Troparion of the Prophet Hosea
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      8: from the Octoechos

      Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
      Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for

      From paradise didst Thou drive our forefather Adam, who had broken Thy
      commandment, O Christ; but, O Compassionate One, Thou didst cause to
      dwell therein the thief who confessed Thee on the cross, crying out:
      “Remember me, O Savior, in Thy kingdom!”

      With the curse of death didst Thou condemn us who had sinned, O Lord,
      Bestower of life; yet having suffered in Thy flesh, O sinless Master,
      Thou hast granted life unto mortals who cry out: “Remember us also in
      Thy kingdom!”

      3. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      In rising from the dead, Thou hast raised us up from the passions with
      Thyself through Thy resurrection, O Lord; and all the power of death
      hast Thou destroyed, O Savior. Wherefore, with faith we cry out to
      Thee: “Remember us also in Thy kingdom!”

      4. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      O Thou who as God grantest life, by Thy three days in the tomb Thou
      didst raise up with Thyself the dead in hell, and as One Who is good
      Thou hast poured forth incorruption upon all of us who with faith ever
      cry out: “Remember us also in Thy kingdom!”

      5. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Risen from the dead, O Savior, Thou didst first appear to the
      myrrh-bearing women, crying out: “Rejoice!” and through them Thou
      didst announce Thy resurrection to Thy friends, O Christ. Wherefore,
      with faith we cry out to Thee, “Remember us also in Thy kingdom!”

      6. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      Moses, stretching out his arms on the mountain, prefigured the Cross
      and thus conquered Amelek. And, receiving it with faith as a mighty
      weapon against the demons, we all cry out: “Remember us also in Thy
      kingdom!”

      7. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      O ye faithful, let us hymn the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, the one
      God, the one Lord, as from a single Sun; for the Trinity is
      thrice-luminous and enlighteneth all who cry out: “Remember us also in
      Thy kingdom!”

      Rejoice, O portal of God, through which the incarnate Creator passed
      without breaking thy seal! Rejoice, thou light cloud which bore
      Christ, the divine Rain! Rejoice, ladder and throne of heaven!
      Rejoice, honored mountain of God, fruitful and unquarried!

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 3: Let the heavens be glad, / let
      earthly things rejoice; / for the Lord hath wrought might with His
      arm, / He hath trampled down death by death; / the firstborn of the
      dead hath He become. / From the belly of hades / hath He delivered us,
      // and hath granted to the world great mercy.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of St. Andrew, Tone 4: Struggling first in fasting upon the
      mountain, / with the whole armor of the Cross / thou didst destroy the
      noetic hordes of the enemy, O most blessed one; / and afterwards thou
      didst manfully array thyself for thy contest, / slaying Copronymus
      with the sword of faith. / And for both thou hast been crowned by God,
      // O ever-memorable venerable martyr Andrew.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Thou didst rise today from the tomb, O
      Merciful One, / and didst lead us out of the gates of death. / Today
      Adam danceth and Eve rejoiceth; / and together with them both, the
      Prophets and the Patriarchs // unceasingly praise the divine might of
      Thine authority.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Glory...

      Kontakion of St. Andrew, Tone 8: Out of love for thee, O divinely
      blessed one, / we utter hymns of praise as thanksgiving / to the
      name-sake of manliness, / to the teacher of the mysteries of piety. /
      As thou hast boldness before the Lord, / save us from all evils, that
      we may chant: // Rejoice, O ever-memorable father!

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / mediation unto the creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 3rd Tone: O chant unto our God, chant
      ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Reader: Clap your hands, all ye nations; shout unto God with a voice
      of rejoicing.
      Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Reader: O chant unto our God, chant ye
      Choir: Chant unto our King, chant ye.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to
      the Galatians,

      [Galatians 1:11-19, §200]: Brethren: I certify you, brethren, that
      the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. * For I neither
      received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of
      Jesus Christ. * For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in
      the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of
      God, and wasted it: * And profited in the Jews' religion above many my
      equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the
      traditions of my fathers. * But when it pleased God, who separated me
      from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, * To reveal his Son
      in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I
      conferred not with flesh and blood: * Neither went I up to Jerusalem
      to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and
      returned again unto Damascus. * Then after three years I went up to
      Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days. * But other
      of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 3rd Tone.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In Thee, O Lord, have I hoped, let me not be put to shame in
      the age to come.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Be Thou unto me a God to defend me and a house of refuge to save me.

      [Luke 8:5-15, §35]: The Lord spoke this parable: A sower went out to
      sow his seed: and as he sowed, some fell by the way side; and it was
      trodden down, and the fowls of the air devoured it. * And some fell
      upon a rock; and as soon as it was sprung up, it withered away,
      because it lacked moisture. * And some fell among thorns; and the
      thorns sprang up with it, and choked it. * And other fell on good
      ground, and sprang up, and bare fruit an hundredfold. And when he had
      said these things, he cried, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.
      * And his disciples asked him, saying, What might this parable be? *
      And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom
      of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and
      hearing they might not understand. * Now the parable is this: The
      seed is the word of God. * Those by the way side are they that hear;
      then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts,
      lest they should believe and be saved. * They on the rock are they,
      which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no
      root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.
      * And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have
      heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of
      this life, and bring no fruit to perfection. * But that on the good
      ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the
      word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

      DOSTOINIK

      It is truly meet...

      COMMUNION

      Verse: Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest!
      Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!