Old Calendar Choir Cues: 16 Pentecost, 19 September/2 October 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2011
      Requesting prayers for Elizabeth Riggs, who established the Choir Cues
      many years ago. Recent knee surgery is proving slow to heal.

      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a simple service
      for the Holy Martyrs Trophimus, Sabbatius, and Dorymedon (ODS §1F1 --
      GIVEN HERE). The possibility also exists for a Doxology-rank service
      to Right-believing Prince Theodore of Smolensk and Yaroslavl, and his
      sons David and Constantine (ODS §1F1 - NOT GIVEN HERE). Please
      consult with your rector if he is offering this latter service;
      without my own Menaion, I have lmited options for providing services.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel
      are now a standard feature, indicated by the sign § and the
      appropriate number. A reminder: The Resurrectional Troparion and
      Kontakion are pointed for chanting according to the book put together
      by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      19 September/2 October 2011

      SIXTEENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST -- Tone 7

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday after the Exaltation of the Cross: Galatians 2:16-20 (§203)
      For the 16th Sunday after Pentecost: 2 Corinthians 6:1-10 (§181)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday after the Exaltation of the Cross: Mark 8:34-9:1 (§37)
      For the 16th Sunday after Pentecost: Matthew 25:14-30 (§105)

      Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost. Afterfeast of the Exaltation of the
      Cross. Martyrs Trophimus, Sabbatius, and Dorymedon. Hieromartyr
      Januarius, Bishop of Benevento, and his companions. Martyr Zosimas,
      hermit of Cilicia. Blessed Igor, Great Prince of Chernigov and Kiev.
      Right-believing Prince Theodore of Smolensk and Yaroslavl, and his
      sons David and Constantine (Doxology-rank service). New-Hieromartyr
      Constantine Golubev. Venerable Alexis of Zosima Hermitage (1928).

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Troparion of the Martyrs
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Troparion of the Feast
      Kontakion of the Feast

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      10: 6 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 7 of the Feast

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      The fruit which slew me was beautiful and good to eat; but Christ is
      the Tree of life, and eating of Him I do not die, but cry out with the
      thief: Remember me, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      O Compassionate One, Who wast lifted up upon the Cross, Thou hast
      erased the record of Adam’s ancient sin, and hast saved the whole
      human race from deception. Wherefore, we hymn Thee, O Lord and
      Benefactor.

      Thou didst nail our sins to the Cross, O compassionate Christ, and by
      Thy death Thou didst slay death, O Thou who didst raise up the dead
      from among the dead. Wherefore, we worship Thy holy resurrection.

      The serpent once poured its venom into the ears of Eve; but on the
      tree of the Cross, Christ poured forth the sweetness of life upon the
      world. Wherefore, we cry out: Remember us, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Thou wast laid in the tomb as one dead, O Christ, Thou Life of all;
      and Thou didst break down the gates of hades; and having risen again
      in glory on the third day as One mighty, Thou hast illumined all.
      Glory to Thine arising!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Having risen from the dead on the third day, the Lord bestowed His
      peace upon His disciples; and having blessed them, He sent them forth
      saying: Lead all into My kingdom!

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      The senseless decree of the wicked tyrant, breathing forth threats and
      blasphemy hateful to God, confused the people. Yet neither the fury of
      the wild beast nor the roaring of the fire could frighten the three
      Children: but standing together in the flame, fanned by the wind that
      brought refreshment as the dew, they sang: ‘Blessed art Thou and
      praised above all, O our God and the God of our fathers.’

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      The first man, tasting of the tree, made his abode in corruption; for,
      having condemned himself by an inglorious rejection of life, he
      imparted a certain taint as a corruption to the whole race. But we
      mortals, gaining utterance through the tree of the Cross, cry out: O
      all-hymned God of our fathers, blessed art Thou!

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Disobedience violated the commandment of God, and the tree brought
      death to man by its being partaken of unseasonably, for, for the
      preservation of that which is most precious, the tree of life was
      forbidden; but God disclosed it to the hapless thief who cried out
      rightly: O all-hymned God of our fathers, blessed art Thou!

      Israel, foreseeing things to come, laid hold of the tip of Joseph’s
      staff, revealing beforehand that the most glorious Cross would seize
      the power of the kingdom, for it is the victorious boast of kings and
      a light for those who cry out with faith: O all-hymned God of our
      fathers, blessed art Thou!

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 7: Thou didst destroy death by Thy
      Cross, / Thou didst open paradise to the thief, / Thou didst change
      the lamentation of the myrrh-bearers, / and Thou didst command Thine
      Apostles / to proclaim that Thou didst arise, O Christ God, / and
      grantest to the world great mercy.

      Troparion of the Cross, Tone 1: O Lord, save Thy people / and bless
      Thine inheritance. / Grant Thou victory unto Orthodox Christians /
      over their enemies, / and by the power of Thy Cross // do Thou
      preserve Thy commonwealth.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of the Martyrs, Tone 8: God Who is praised in Trinity hath
      glorified a trinity of martyrs: / Trophimus, Sabbatius and Dorymedon.
      / For, believing in Him, they cast down the enemy. / By their
      supplications, O Christ our God, // have mercy upon us.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 7: No longer will the dominion of death
      / be able to keep men captive, / for Christ hath descended,
      demolishing and destroying the powers thereof. / Hades is bound; the
      prophets rejoice with one voice, saying: / A Savior hath come for them
      that have faith! / Come forth, ye faithful, for the Resurrection!

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Glory…

      Kontakion of the Martyrs, Tone 8: As the foundation of athletes and
      confirmation of piety / the Church doth honor and glorify thy luminous
      suffering, / O right wise and glorious Trophimus, / ever-hymned and
      blessed athlete. / With those who suffered with thee ask cleansing for
      those who hymn thee, // in that thou art invincible.

      Both now...

      Kontakion of the Cross, Tone 4: O Thou Who wast lifted up willingly on
      the Cross, / bestow Thy mercies upon the new community named after
      Thee, O Christ God; / gladden with Thy power the Orthodox Christians,
      / granting them victory over enemies; // may they have as Thy help the
      weapon of peace, the invincible trophy.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 7th Tone: Exalt ye the Lord our God, and
      worship the footstool of His feet for it is holy.
      Choir: Exalt ye the Lord our God, and worship the footstool of His
      feet for it is holy.
      Reader: The Lord is king, let the peoples rage.
      Choir: Exalt ye the Lord our God, and worship the footstool of His
      feet for it is holy.
      Reader: Exalt ye the Lord our God.
      Choir: And worship the footstool of His feet for it is holy.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to
      the Galatians.

      [Galatians 2:16-20, §203]: Brethren: Knowing that a man is not
      justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ,
      even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by
      the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works
      of the law shall no flesh be justified. * But if, while we seek to be
      justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore
      Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. * For if I build again the
      things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. * For I
      through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. * I am
      crucified with Christ: neverthless I live; yet not I, but Christ
      liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the
      faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

      [2 Corinthians 6:1-10, §181]: Brethren: We then, as workers together
      with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in
      vain. * (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in
      the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the
      accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.) * Giving no
      offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed: * But in all
      things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience,
      in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses, * In stripes, in
      imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings; * By
      pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy
      Ghost, by love unfeigned, * By the word of truth, by the power of God,
      by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, * By
      honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers,
      and yet true; * As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold,
      we live; as chastened, and not killed; * As sorrowful, yet alway
      rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet
      possessing all things.

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 1st Tone.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Remember Thy congregation which Thou hast purchased from the beginning.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: But God is our king before the ages, He hath wrought salvation
      in the midst of the earth.

      [Mark 8:34-9:1, §37: The Lord said: Whosoever will come after me,
      let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. * For
      whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose
      his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. * For
      what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose
      his own soul? * Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? *
      Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this
      adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be
      ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy
      angels. * And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be
      some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till
      they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

      [Matthew 25:14-30, §105]: The Lord said this parable: The kingdom of
      heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his
      own servants, and delivered unto them his goods. * And unto one he
      gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man
      according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey. *
      Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the
      same, and made them other five talents. * And likewise he that had
      received two, he also gained other two. * But he that had received one
      went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money. * After a long
      time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them. * And
      so he that had received five talents came and brought other five
      talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold,
      I have gained beside them five talents more. * His lord said unto him,
      Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful
      over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou
      into the joy of thy lord. * He also that had received two talents came
      and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have
      gained two other talents beside them. * His lord said unto him, Well
      done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few
      things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the
      joy of thy lord. * Then he which had received the one talent came and
      said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou
      hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed: * And I was
      afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast
      that is thine. * His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and
      slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and
      gather where I have not strawed: * Thou oughtest therefore to have put
      my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have
      received mine own with usury. * Take therefore the talent from him,
      and give it unto him which hath ten talents. * For unto every one that
      hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that
      hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath. * And cast ye
      the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping
      and gnashing of teeth.

      ZADOSTOINIK

      Instead of “It is truly meet…” we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of
      the First Canon of the feast, Eighth Tone:

      Refrain: Magnify, O my soul, / the most precious Cross of the Lord.

      Irmos: O Theotokos, thou art a mystical Paradise, / who untilled hast
      brought forth Christ. / He hath planted upon the earth the life-giving
      Tree of the Cross: / therefore at its exaltation on this day, // we
      worship Him and thee do we magnify.

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! The
      Light of Thy countenance, O Lord, hath been signed upon us. Alleluia,
      Alleluia, Alleluia!