Re: Unusual request: Sophia, the Wisdom of God

  • S. Miller
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2011
      Looks that way to me too.

      DnS

      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Deacon Philip Turner" <mildert@...> wrote:

      > Dear Fr Ambrose,
      >
      > Looking at the icon, it looks to me like
      >
      > - God the Father, as an old man,
      >
      > - God the Holy Spirit, as a dove,
      >
      > - God the Son as a lamb.
      >
      > Or am I incorrect with my interpretation?
      >
      > In XC
      >
      > Deacon Philip
      >
      > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, <ambrois@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The patronal icon for the St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Los Angeles
      > >
      > > http://www.stsophia.org/photo/cathedral/images/img_0677.jpg
      > >
      > > Its position on the iconostasion, to the left of the Mother of God
      > >
      > > http://www.stsophia.org/photo/palm_sunday/2009-04-12/images/dsc0313.jpg
      > >
      > > This cathedral could be another possible source which could supply the Greek
      > > texts you are seeking.

    • James
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
        Interesting place, that!
        20th Century Fox iconography.

        Rdr. James Morgan

        --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "S. Miller" <srbmillerr@...> wrote:

        > Looks that way to me too.
        >
        > DnS
        >
        > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Deacon Philip Turner" <mildert@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Dear Fr Ambrose,
        > >
        > > Looking at the icon, it looks to me like
        > >
        > > - God the Father, as an old man,
        > >
        > > - God the Holy Spirit, as a dove,
        > >
        > > - God the Son as a lamb.
        > >
        > > Or am I incorrect with my interpretation?
        > >
        > > In XC
        > >
        > > Deacon Philip
        > >
        > > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, <ambrois@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > The patronal icon for the St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Los Angeles
        > > >
        > > > http://www.stsophia.org/photo/cathedral/images/img_0677.jpg
        > > >
        > > > Its position on the iconostasion, to the left of the Mother of God
        > > >
        > > > http://www.stsophia.org/photo/palm_sunday/2009-04-12/images/dsc0313.jpg
        > > >
        > > > This cathedral could be another possible source which could supply the Greek
        > > > texts you are seeking.

      • starina77
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2011
          The image at St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Los Angeles does not seem to be based on the genuine concept of Sophiology that has been a controversial subject in Orthodoxy.
          (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophiology )
          It seems to de-emphasise the focus of Christ as "Holy Wisdom" and transfer the focus to the Holy Trinity, thus dispersing the specific concept of a personification of Holy wisdom in favor of it being just a general concept.

          Nikita

          --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "James" <rdrjames@...> wrote:

          > Interesting place, that!
          > 20th Century Fox iconography.
          >
          > Rdr. James Morgan
          >
          > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "S. Miller" <srbmillerr@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Looks that way to me too.
          > >
          > > DnS
          > >
          > > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Deacon Philip Turner" <mildert@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Dear Fr Ambrose,
          > > >
          > > > Looking at the icon, it looks to me like
          > > >
          > > > - God the Father, as an old man,
          > > >
          > > > - God the Holy Spirit, as a dove,
          > > >
          > > > - God the Son as a lamb.
          > > >
          > > > Or am I incorrect with my interpretation?
          > > >
          > > > In XC
          > > >
          > > > Deacon Philip

        • S. Miller
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2011
            Hmmm! Yes. And, if I recall correctly, the 5th/6th Councils forbade the depiction of the Savior as a lamb.

            Dn. S. Miller