This coming Sunday, what to sing at the meeting of the bishop?

  • prov1517
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
      Christ is risen!

      Our parish will host Vladyka Jerome for the first time ever this coming Sunday. When he enters, do we sing the Lvov "Dostoino jest" or do we sing the za dostoinik for Ascension? I thought one always sings "Dostoino jest," but at the services televised in 2007, they sang the za dostoinik and the the person doing color coverage in English explained what it is. I don't know where to look to find such answers, and would appreciate any guide for THAT, besides.

      Also, any singers in the area who would like to join us and augment our choir are most heartily welcome, since right now due to illnesses we do not have Chestnakov's recommended bare minimum of three people per part. We are between New York and Boston, at exit 31 of I-95 in Connecticut, and the Meeting of the Bishop will be at 9:30.

      Many thanks in advance for your answers and help!

      In Christ,

      Matushka Ann Lardas
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
        On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 8:48 AM, prov1517 <matanna@...> wrote:

        > Also, any singers in the area who would like to join us and augment our
        > choir are most heartily welcome, since right now due to illnesses we do not
        > have Chestnakov's recommended bare minimum of three people per part.

        For the last time this year :-( "Truly He is risen!"

        If it's any consolation, Nikolai Alexeyevich's choir in Moscow at one
        time had eight people -- still might, for all I know -- and he had people
        singing *six* parts. It's doable, just not recommended. Good luck!

        In Christ,
        Meg

      • Philip Sokolov
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
          Matushka Ann Lardas wrote:

          > Our parish will host Vladyka Jerome for the first time ever this coming
          > Sunday. When he enters, do we sing the Lvov "Dostoino jest" or do we
          > sing the za dostoinik for Ascension? I thought one always sings
          > "Dostoino jest," but at the services televised in 2007, they sang the za
          > dostoinik and the the person doing color coverage in English explained
          > what it is. I don't know where to look to find such answers, and would
          > appreciate any guide for THAT, besides.

          How about the ABRIDGED TYPICON, p. 87:

          "(a) As the Bishop enters the vestibule of the temple, the choir should
          sing majestically, not hurried, FROM THE RISING TO THE SETTING OF THE
          SUN, IS THE NAME OF THE LORD TO BE PRAISED. BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE
          LORD, FROM HENCEFORTH AND FOREVER. It is then customary for the choir to
          pause until the pastor greets the Bishop, and, if the Bishop makes a
          reply, to wait until the priests have kissed the Cross before the choir
          proceeds to sing 'It is truly meet....'

          "(b) If the liturgical season does not call for the singing of 'It is
          truly meet...,' the proper 'in place of' is sung: at Paschaltide, 'The
          Angel cried...,' etc."

          This link may also be of assistance:
          http://www.holy-trinity.org/liturgics/hierarchical-choir.html

          In Christ,
          Philip Sokolov
        • S. Miller
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
            Always sing the current za dostoinik. Dostoino yest is sung at all other times.

            DnSergius

            --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "prov1517" <matanna@...> wrote:

            > Christ is risen!
            >
            > Our parish will host Vladyka Jerome for the first time ever this coming Sunday. When he enters, do we sing the Lvov "Dostoino jest" or do we sing the za dostoinik for Ascension? I thought one always sings "Dostoino jest," but at the services televised in 2007, they sang the za dostoinik and the the person doing color coverage in English explained what it is. I don't know where to look to find such answers, and would appreciate any guide for THAT, besides.
            >
            > Also, any singers in the area who would like to join us and augment our choir are most heartily welcome, since right now due to illnesses we do not have Chestnakov's recommended bare minimum of three people per part. We are between New York and Boston, at exit 31 of I-95 in Connecticut, and the Meeting of the Bishop will be at 9:30.
            >
            > Many thanks in advance for your answers and help!
            >
            > In Christ,
            >
            > Matushka Ann Lardas

          • David
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
              Here is a youtube video of the choir singing the zadostoinik of Pascha for the entrance of the Patriarch at a recent service in St. Petersburg:

              <iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ze19qe19VKw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

              David James

              --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "prov1517" <matanna@...> wrote:

              > Christ is risen!
              >
              > Our parish will host Vladyka Jerome for the first time ever this coming Sunday. When he enters, do we sing the Lvov "Dostoino jest" or do we sing the za dostoinik for Ascension? I thought one always sings "Dostoino jest," but at the services televised in 2007, they sang the za dostoinik and the the person doing color coverage in English explained what it is. I don't know where to look to find such answers, and would appreciate any guide for THAT, besides.
              >
              > Also, any singers in the area who would like to join us and augment our choir are most heartily welcome, since right now due to illnesses we do not have Chestnakov's recommended bare minimum of three people per part. We are between New York and Boston, at exit 31 of I-95 in Connecticut, and the Meeting of the Bishop will be at 9:30.
              >
              > Many thanks in advance for your answers and help!
              >
              > In Christ,
              >
              > Matushka Ann Lardas

            • prov1517
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
                --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Philip Sokolov <phils@...> wrote:

                > Matushka Ann Lardas wrote:
                >
                > > Our parish will host Vladyka Jerome for the first time ever this coming
                > > Sunday. When he enters, do we sing the Lvov "Dostoino jest" or do we
                > > sing the za dostoinik for Ascension? I thought one always sings
                > > "Dostoino jest," but at the services televised in 2007, they sang the za
                > > dostoinik and the the person doing color coverage in English explained
                > > what it is. I don't know where to look to find such answers, and would
                > > appreciate any guide for THAT, besides.
                >
                > How about the ABRIDGED TYPICON, p. 87:
                >
                > "(a) As the Bishop enters the vestibule of the temple, the choir should
                > sing majestically, not hurried, FROM THE RISING TO THE SETTING OF THE
                > SUN, IS THE NAME OF THE LORD TO BE PRAISED. BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE
                > LORD, FROM HENCEFORTH AND FOREVER. It is then customary for the choir to
                > pause until the pastor greets the Bishop, and, if the Bishop makes a
                > reply, to wait until the priests have kissed the Cross before the choir
                > proceeds to sing 'It is truly meet....'
                >
                > "(b) If the liturgical season does not call for the singing of 'It is
                > truly meet...,' the proper 'in place of' is sung: at Paschaltide, 'The
                > Angel cried...,' etc."
                >
                > This link may also be of assistance:
                > http://www.holy-trinity.org/liturgics/hierarchical-choir.html
                >
                > In Christ,